Sign in to follow this  
newborn

Build #27 - Fixer upper

Just seems like it'll be more or less replaced by rail now, especially once the netcode improves.  SG does 96(?) is short range only with spread while rail does 80(?) and is infinite range and pinpoint.  I think SG is fine as the highest weapon damage in the game given only melee has less effective range.  The most useful SG will be is running Carnage as with RL you can easily kill yourself.  A 25% damage reduction is a big change.

The Rail in QL does 80 and the SG does 100 if you hit close up. This is relatively similar in reflex. The guns have such different purposes its hard for one to replace the other.

The SG is for close range and will be used when the enemy is low to reliably finish them off, when enemies are coming up a bounce pad for a reliable 100 (96) dmg shot (SG or maybe LG depending on the situation), when hiding around a corner waiting for the enemy to walk around into your crosshair, or when you are in a close range fight and have no better weapon, same uses it has always had.

Long range the rail would still be the best option. The rebalance hasnt invalidated the weapon and 128 dmg on a hitscan weapon is pretty insane.

Probably wrong area for this question but...

I purchased the game today on Steam.

How do I update it when updates come out?

Seems out of the gate I cannot run it due to the "failed to create texture file" error 

so if updating is via game I am kind of stumped   :)

Game updates automatically or you get prompted when you start it.

Regards

If you have a problem with game files not loading correctly you can try to revalidate the game files to see if that fixes it.  Since it's a steam game it will automatically update itself whenever a new update becomes available, same as TF2, CS:S, or any other steam game.

Probably wrong area for this question but...

I purchased the game today on Steam.

How do I update it when updates come out?

Seems out of the gate I cannot run it due to the "failed to create texture file" error 

so if updating is via game I am kind of stumped   :)

Means you're out of VRAM. Working on having our VRAM requirements a lot lower in the next update.

Means you're out of VRAM. Working on having our VRAM requirements a lot lower in the next update.

Any idea how long until that update? I thought I'd be safe with GTX280, but I crash on startup :< -- this is definitely VRAM related? How much VRAM is required?

Any idea how long until that update? I thought I'd be safe with GTX280, but I crash on startup :< -- this is definitely VRAM related? How much VRAM is required?

I can run the game, on low res like 800x600 with my GTX460 fine. I'm not sure of the specs of said card but it's enough to be decent. I'm sure whenever it gets optimized I will be able to run it fine. I don't think optimization would come just yet tho, I recall someone saying, that you're better off getting a new card.

Build 28 is coming very soon.  It will fix some connection issues which is a small client/server optimization that might have a trickle down effect of allowing lower GPU requirements.  Hopefully all GPU's will perform better. 

The ATI crashing bug is a problem but there's no word if there will be a fix in the next build.  Probably within the next day or two.  You'll just have to keep checking for the next update.  They are definitely making progress you just have to be patient.  If you can't be patient then don't expect to get treated nicely on these forums. 

If you don't understand the concept of an alpha version then you shouldn't have bought the game.  I realize you would expect the game to at least start and it does for a 99% of people.  If you are in the small subset of people that can't get the game to start rest assured the issue IS BEING WORKED ON.  Be patient.

Build 28 is coming very soon.  It will fix some connection issues which is a small client/server optimization that might have a trickle down effect of allowing lower GPU requirements.  Hopefully all GPU's will perform better. 

The ATI crashing bug is a problem but there's no word if there will be a fix in the next build.  Probably within the next day or two.  You'll just have to keep checking for the next update.  They are definitely making progress you just have to be patient.  If you can't be patient then don't expect to get treated nicely on these forums. 

If you don't understand the concept of an alpha version then you shouldn't have bought the game.  I realize you would expect the game to at least start and it does for a 99% of people.  If you are in the small subset of people that can't get the game to start rest assured the issue IS BEING WORKED ON.  Be patient.

I understand perfectly well that it's an alpha, and I'm not complaining about anything. I have made one post politely asking when I can expect to be able to run the game or what I can do to make it run -- I don't think that's unreasonable, nor impatient. Thanks for the information.