newborn

0.34 - Reflex goes Alpha!

Electro, could we maybe have those textures you use on meshes as usable textures too? I tried one of those pipe material files a while ago and it well.. created a black hole in my map.. So while they're actually there already they're not really working in a desired way.  :)

Completely disagree..

Here is my post from the theme topic about why i think it's bad to leave Scifi/Tech theme.

About update otherwise? Great job. The sun is definitely more cool than the old solid world color, racemode is cool to have and a new vid also released for more visibility :)

Though, things that are still needed imo.

-Ammopickups

-Editor rotate and multi select feature

-Crouch and walk moves

Sci-fi only is also pretty boring. In my opinion the game should have a bigger variety of different "Arenas". A gothic map, a technology map, an industrial map, exactly what you see on the old concept images. I actually bought this game because I saw the images of different arenas, just like in unreal tournament, and I though whoa that's gonna be cool. Sticking just to one genre is going to make all of the arenas look exactly the same.

Biggest downfalls of this game are in the graphics. Early conceps were awesome. I really never understood why you didnt pursue any of them. If you are wanting to do realistic graphics use proper engine like UE4 / Unity. If your going to continue using your own engine, please go for more stylized graphics as in dishonored etc. If you choose the latter, textures must be HANDPAINTED / SCULPTED. Copy pasting textures just looks cheap. You have artist / artistst, USE THEM.

It might be that current map editor doesnt allow level of editing that would be needed for that visual complexity, but it can be solved simply by allowing people to use real 3d software to make maps and even bake lightning. You can later develop ingame mapping tools to level that is needed to archieve the visual complexity wanted.

For example that gothic styled map could be modeled / textured from scratch in 1-2 weeks of time if you have proper skill. Texturing, modeling and sculpting a weapon model takes like 1-2 days so Its not that big deal either. I have been following development for 6 months and graphically game is still at same point as when I first started playing, I dont really get what Electro has been doing all the time. Assets / textures released are stuff that can be made in minutes instead of hours or days.

1 to 2 days to model and texture a weapon? Interesting...

Let's try schedule that time, I'll go with 1 day. Double each number if you think it should be 2 days.

Blockout - 1 hour

High poly - 1 hour

Low Poly - 1 hour

UVs - 15 mins

Baking - 15 mins

Texturing (PBR, albedo, metallic, roughness, normals) - 1 hour

Rigging (hands, moving weapon parts) - 15 mins

Animation - 15 mins

Particle effects and associated textures and materials - 1 hour

Sounds - 1 hour

Hooking it all up in code - 30 mins

3rd person version - 15 mins

Decals - 5 mins 1 handed while heating up food

LODs - 5 mins, use garbage converter to turn mesh to random mess, eating now prepared food

Character animations - 15 mins, still trying to eat, could be faster if I could eat quicker :(

Done! Extra 15 mins for concept if that isn't done.

Spend no time coding shaders or anything else, code makes itself.

All the development is done with 2 people, but what do I do with my time.

If you can make a full next-gen environment in 1 to 2 weeks, I'd LOVE to see it. You should also be hired by a AAA studio instantly.

UT4 guys have more developers and all their weapons aren't done, wonder what they're doing with their time.

For reference, high poly versions of weapon models actually take a week or more. 1 day for everything seems correct.

pls..  <_<

The absolutely fastest way of getting the textures in is by allowing the community to contribute. Granted you'll not get the look you're after and there will probably be that one guy that will make a dick map with all dick textures but if people start releasing their texture sets (jjjuho texture pack incoming) you can include those more solid into your builds. If you're afraid of any leagal implications about using whatever you can prep a simple paper to sign so the creator takes full responsibility for using content he does not have the proper rights to use.

Even if this would lead to 3 people making texture sets it still triples the amount of people working on them currently and since textures seems like an entry level task electro could focus on more important things and dont have to eat in front of the pc. I understand that this will probably start looking very different from the desired theme you're after but as somebody else mentioned it will also create variety within a game which is not a bad thing.

1 to 2 days to model and texture a weapon? Interesting...

;TLDR

I have specialized in UI  / UIX design and front-end developing. Modelling, texturing, animating and stuff like that is something I do as a hobby, so I'am not professional by any means.

Anyway heres something I experimented some months ago.. My workflow could be optimized a lot, this was really first try creating weapon from concept to final illustration. Obviously that's highpoly, but cuz its modeled with subdivs I can just take the modifier out and TADA, I have working lowpoly. Also all the textures from the nodes can be easily baked to texture maps. Animation of course is another thing, but its something that should be done afterwards anyway. Anyway I spend time on that model for like ~12hours.

https://www.behance.net/gallery/22786879/Retro-Blaster

Heres a short making of article of the process http://www.blendernation.com/2015/02/02/behind-the-scenes-retro-blaster/

And what comes to that environment, I have thought about recreating some reflex map with proper visuals in Blender. Maybe I do it sometime, for now it just seems kinda waste of time as you couldnt get any of it really ingame.

I have specialized in UI  / UIX design and front-end developing. Modelling, texturing, animating and stuff like that is something I do as a hobby, so I'am not professional by any means.

Anyway heres something I experimented some months ago.. My workflow could be optimized a lot, this was really first try creating weapon from concept to final illustration. Obviously that's highpoly, but cuz its modeled with subdivs I can just take the modifier out and TADA, I have working lowpoly. Also all the textures from the nodes can be easily baked to texture maps. Animation of course is another thing, but its something that should be done afterwards anyway. Anyway I spend time on that model for like ~12hours.

Heres a short making of article of the process http://www.blendernation.com/2015/02/02/behind-the-scenes-retro-blaster/

And what comes to that environment, I have thought about recreating some reflex map with proper visuals in Blender. Maybe I do it sometime, for now it just seems kinda waste of time as you couldnt get any of it really ingame.

I might be wrong but there was some kind of belnder -> reflex converter somewhere so maybe its not that pointless

Nice model! And yeah I agree the game didn't change much in terms of art since that kick starter project fail in 2014. Sometimes I start getting worried about Reflex.

low poly/flat textures are the way of the future anyways

spire has one of the nicest art styles ive ever seen and it seems like it would be really quick to work in (too bad its vapoware)

goldsrc games in general also looked fantastic to me for some reason

I have specialized in UI / UIX design and front-end developing. Modelling, texturing, animating and stuff like that is something I do as a hobby, so I'am not professional by any means.

What about the rest? You're a long way from getting that functioning from scratch in a game with everything i listed.

Also of course using subd non destructive workflows.

Don't go saying tldr and expect me to read your messages.

What about the rest? You're a long way from getting that functioning from scratch in a game with everything i listed.

Also of course using subd non destructive workflows.

So are you saying that it would take another two years or so to create Reflex?

Anyway I spend time on that model for like ~12hours.

So 12 hours for a non functional high poly model? That's 1.5 days work so far, your 1-2 day time estimates are way off. As you said yourself you are not a professional and clearly have no idea what is involved in game development and asset creation from start to finish. 

I agree that the estimations are off but maybe we can get the community involved more and allow them to create more things even if they will be removed at some point. Im not sure how much of a problem it is that the game will look different than its supposed theme going to be (im talkign about user created texture/material sets) but this could significantly speed up the process of making the game 'look' better. If we allowe people to create meshes/texture them and the ability to make them work you can than pick those better ones and keep including them in some temporary directory.

Again the game will most likely look different from what you have imagined for it but at this early stage it might nto be a problem you justneed a clear disclaimer that one day it might all be fucked up :D so people would be aware of it but other than that I dont see why gothic looking map will not fit in victorian styled reflex I woudl even go as far as saying sci-fi style map would not look that much off either. Im really not sure why user generated content should be limited by one age, you can have all official maps in this setting but i think the more freedom peopel have in creating their contentn the better.

If you're going to say I said something, use the quote function for that part.

From what I have seen, it looks like you guys are defending a point that development takes time. How long do you think it would take you to create a full game?

Not to offend, is just way I use quote when theres a ton of text. Just more optimal for readers as the post wont stretch too much :) Read the whole post of yours

So 12 hours for a non functional high poly model? That's 1.5 days work so far, your 1-2 day time estimates are way off. As you said yourself you are not a professional and clearly have no idea what is involved in game development and asset creation from start to finish. 

I am no professional, but I have made games and imported stuff to games. You could put that model to any normal engine without animation with proper textures and shading in like 2-3 hours. So whats off with the estimate? Didnt say you could animate it in that time.

Question: In the update video it said that there’s directx 10 support. I don’t know much about what that means, but me and some other dude(tte) discussed playing on linux and wine compatibility in some thread on these forums and it turned out it didn’t work because of some dx11 issue (). Does this directx 10 support now mean that getting the game to work under wine is more possible? Since a proper Linux client is something that is very unlikely to happen any time soon (or anytime at all), is getting the game to run under wine a development target? From the impression I got while trying it out, it looked like it almost worked already.

And something related to art/graphics: Right now, pickups are sci-fi like holograms. What other ideas do you guys have regarding that?

I think having them as physics objects would be cool, like in csgo, where a gun/bomb just drops to the floor. Make them glow for increased visibility.

In general, I think having the gun/pickup just hovering in midair quake/UT style is a bit archaic. A small contraption holding the object up like in portal (when you get the portal gun) would already be a large improvement.

I am no professional, but I have made games and imported stuff to games. You could put that model to any normal engine without animation with proper textures and shading in like 2-3 hours. So whats off with the estimate? Didnt say you could animate it in that time.

Yes you could but that's still far from a finished asset, it's just a prettier placeholder at that point. There is still all the code work and effects to even make it semi usable. Everyone expects things to just be done overnight when there is a huge amount of work involved behind the scenes that the majority seem to be unaware of.

how -clearly- do I set moon instead of sun? in editor

Got a map for night but now it is all shiny  :lol:

rather asking here than creating a topic for such a basic question

thanks

Change the time of day in the worldspawn entity.

Change the time of day in the worldspawn entity.

thank you, ok I understand that but how, when I press n for panel, I cant see a way to acces worldspawn with the new update

[where editor set color in the sky before r_sun comes]

I'm the lord of the newbies so apologies for my "unawareness"

EDIT: ok ok it was right in front of my blinded eyes.... TIME OF THE DAY!!!

I was looking for sun or moon word... omg

thank you  B)

[10:37] <@newborn> focus over the next month or something is going to be on smashing out lots of little things that have been missing from the game / broken for too long
[10:37] <dansen> newborn, thats awesome! also: rocket bounce!!!!!! GIIIIIIIVEEEEE FIXXX
[10:37] <@newborn> and full accel/dpi/yaw/pitch/metric sens/etc commands are coming with that
[10:37] <@newborn> yeah, knockback fixes are on the same list

soon © newborn

Men-at-work-Golf-Clap-Short-Charlie-Shee

WOOOOO!

The absolutely fastest way of getting the textures in is by allowing the community to contribute. Granted you'll not get the look you're after and there will probably be that one guy that will make a dick map with all dick textures but if people start releasing their texture sets (jjjuho texture pack incoming) you can include those more solid into your builds. If you're afraid of any leagal implications about using whatever you can prep a simple paper to sign so the creator takes full responsibility for using content he does not have the proper rights to use.

Even if this would lead to 3 people making texture sets it still triples the amount of people working on them currently and since textures seems like an entry level task electro could focus on more important things and dont have to eat in front of the pc. I understand that this will probably start looking very different from the desired theme you're after but as somebody else mentioned it will also create variety within a game which is not a bad thing.

Was wondering about the crowd source aspect of development as well, and the legalities/contingencies in such a model?

Was wondering about the crowd source aspect of development as well, and the legalities/contingencies in such a model?

Fairly sure if you write up a quick "Everything contributed to this project is considered turbo pixel studios intellectual property and void of original creators rights" thing for it in a couple hours and not allow anything uploaded to a central repository without ticking a box it would be good enough.. But then I'm not a legal scholar.