newborn

0.34 - Reflex goes Alpha!

Reflex 0.34 is now live, featuring racing, sun, suicide and the usual slew of bugfixes and tweaks! But more importantly, it also brings the last pieces of our core tech into the game, marking our transition from pre-alpha to alpha! To celebrate, not only have we released a new development update video, we've decided to go 50% off for the next week.

General:

• Added Race gamemode (callvote mode race)
  • Added "suicide" command.
  • Added sunlight (can be toggled on/off with the r_sun command or through the options menu)
  • The menu replay has returned!
Map Editing
  • Added me_createtype RaceStart / RaceFinish (only visible in race mode)
  • Added me_createtype WeaponRestrictor (only allows certain weapons to be used).
  • Added time of day sky with sun/moon, can be configured in EntityWorldSpawn.
  • Lightmaps should be rebuilt for the new sky/sun system.
Lua Scripting
  • Added race events to lua log
  • Added RaceMessages.lua - displays race start / finish fullscreen notifications
  • Added RaceRecords.lua - displays list of previous records on left of screen, similar to weapon rack
  • Added RaceTimer.lua - displays current race time at bottom of screen
  • AnglesDegress variable is now wrapped to the [0,360) range
  • Fixed low/max ammo reported to lua for stake launcher.
  • Added log.id to lua to help distinguish each log entry
  • Exposed lua vars: player.raceActive, player.raceTimeCurrent, player.raceTimePrevious
Replay editor:
  • Updated replay editor to work correctly with new netcode.
  • Fixed issue where player "viewing in first person" wasn't being correctly set on players in replay.
  • Added replay timecode on screen
  • Improved re_export command to hides console when it starts.
  • Fixed camera tracking bugs in replay editor (wasn't reporting correct player to lua script)
  • Hit sounds ( and effects ), now correctly fire in replay editor.
Art:
  • Added materials: brick_small and concrete_01
  • Added material: wood planks
  • Added material: concrete_bunker_01
  • Added material: chainlink
  • Added meshes: railings
  • Added material: tiles
  • Added map thinktank
Fixes
  • Fixed particle shader "green" artifacting
  • Fixed bug where overlapping triggers caused some triggers to be ignored.
  • Fixed bug where effects were reading invalid data.
  • Increased far clip to 8192 (up from 4096)
  • Prevented some potential buffer corruption around paste operation.

The textures in the think tank look nice, but I still don't like the direction of the art. While moving away from sci-fi only was a good move, focusing on teslapunk is meh... From what I saw the game looks very urban, but I don't understand how this is going to work. Goochie mentioned scientists. Rocket jumping scientists roaming the streets? wtf? I understand that you guys are trying to make a unique game, but I am not sure whether Reflex can become a popular game with this theme. Not that many people like arena games, and even a smaller fraction likes the current theme. Nothing personal, just some feedback that I wanted to say.

From this

maxresdefault.jpg

To this :(

8ngnUmS.jpg?1

hm looks very tasty. gotta try out everything. in Germany it's a vacation day today so guess what I'll do :-)

just a question.

- is the position/color of the sun changeable?

hm looks very tasty. gotta try out everything. in Germany it's a vacation day today so guess what I'll do :-)

just a question.

- is the position/color of the sun changeable?

The position of the gun is changeable, use cl_weapon_offset_x 0

- snip -

The problem i have with the thinktank example is this: it simply looks ... not good. Even with Everything maxed out it simply looks bad. It doesn't look "bad" bad..it look's "weird" bad. Let me explain:

The effects and models in Reflex look absolutely fine, let's say ..good/very good, but the textures, the ones in that map ..., they simply don't look good. They look flat and washed out, even on highest settings. Kinda remind me of the "poor texturing" example from this video.

WIP as always, everyone knows that .... which simply leads me to following question: what's the purpose of this map/showing it in the video?

I strongly believe Reflex can and will look good at some point, but since poor Electro is basically working on art alone... hell this will take a lot of time. I mean....a lot. Which kinda leads to a weird situation: game is very well playable...but this doesn't exactly generate a lot of sales. Sales the team needs.

I'd say as soon as the game is in a state where CTF+MM is in ....which doesn't seem to be too far away if they keep up the speed....proper art needs to get in asap, which won't happen i assume, since the code side of the game progresses way faster than the art-side.

Reflex will be in a weird state i assume. Marketing without proper art in? Waste of potential. No marketing? Less sales. So what? Do some marketing without art and hope more people will take a look at it? For the people that didn't get in before, nothing/not enough has changed and they will prob. not buy anyways for now.

BTW: Replay editor is supposed to work now....so go make some awesome frag-movies! Really now. Frag movies. Yes.

I love how people play cups n shit...but after asking newborn he said he doesn't really see any significant sales based on them. So i was wondering....instead of donating 50€ to tehace i should have rather donated it to newborn, but then again 50€ from me alone won't exactly help much. I demand a new KS :D .... i wish the team would have the resources they actually deserve :(.

Holy shit, got side-tracked.

Anyways...good luck to the team as always and i hope you find a rich sugar-daddy who throws some money at you :/.

Regards

Nice progress! Matchmaking and ladder tests are now closer)) Concearning art - maybe the good idea is like UT4 Outpost23 - to make some map art concepts, choose the best one and make textures directly for that map as some sort of demo. I mean concrete, tile and wood are good materials, but I agree - they aren't any sort of eye candy.

Race mode looks amazing, Im really not feeling the artstyle tho. Im actually falling in love with the minimalistic texture-less style of the game right now, I think that would be an amazing and fitting artstyle for the game kind of à la mirror's edge

I love this kind of stuff way more than the steam punk style. I really think its more fitting, more appropriate for a videogame deemed ultra competitive, and makes for way better frag videos imo

https://forums.unrealtournament.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11248&stc=1

https://www.colourbox.com/preview/4735504-abstract-architectural-office-manager-in-a-minimalist-style-table-and-chair-is-made-of-composite-materials.jpg

Guest A'Asdalf

Alpha textures look like alpha textures, shock

When will the netcode handle 120 ping w/ jitter?

map thinktank

We seem to be actually be seeing shadows? The skylights in the ceilings cast them on the floors in the map. Nice. I like the new skybox... looks very Half-Life 2'ish... always liked Source lighting. Checking again, those shadows look really crisp...

There is also a new clock mesh in the envtank map. Would be really neat if it could show the local time on the PC... ^_^

[10:37] <@newborn> focus over the next month or something is going to be on smashing out lots of little things that have been missing from the game / broken for too long
[10:37] <dansen> newborn, thats awesome! also: rocket bounce!!!!!! GIIIIIIIVEEEEE FIXXX
[10:37] <@newborn> and full accel/dpi/yaw/pitch/metric sens/etc commands are coming with that
[10:37] <@newborn> yeah, knockback fixes are on the same list

soon © newborn

Men-at-work-Golf-Clap-Short-Charlie-Shee

The new textures don't feel like they quite match Dishonored or The Order 1886, particularly the Dishonored--they feel a little too attempted-realism, if that makes sense. Almost CoD like, with attempting to look like real world textures.

Not necessarily a bad thing (although I did really love the atmosphere in Dishonored), and I understand that they are alpha textures--to be changed and such :)

The problem i have with the thinktank example is this: it simply looks ... not good. Even with Everything maxed out it simply looks bad. It doesn't look "bad" bad..it look's "weird" bad. Let me explain:

The effects and models in Reflex look absolutely fine, let's say ..good/very good, but the textures, the ones in that map ..., they simply don't look good. They look flat and washed out, even on highest settings. Kinda remind me of the "poor texturing" example from this video.

WIP as always, everyone knows that .... which simply leads me to following question: what's the purpose of this map/showing it in the video?

I strongly believe Reflex can and will look good at some point, but since poor Electro is basically working on art alone... hell this will take a lot of time. I mean....a lot. Which kinda leads to a weird situation: game is very well playable...but this doesn't exactly generate a lot of sales. Sales the team needs.

I'd say as soon as the game is in a state where CTF+MM is in ....which doesn't seem to be too far away if they keep up the speed....proper art needs to get in asap, which won't happen i assume, since the code side of the game progresses way faster than the art-side.

Reflex will be in a weird state i assume. Marketing without proper art in? Waste of potential. No marketing? Less sales. So what? Do some marketing without art and hope more people will take a look at it? For the people that didn't get in before, nothing/not enough has changed and they will prob. not buy anyways for now.

BTW: Replay editor is supposed to work now....so go make some awesome frag-movies! Really now. Frag movies. Yes.

I love how people play cups n shit...but after asking newborn he said he doesn't really see any significant sales based on them. So i was wondering....instead of donating 50€ to tehace i should have rather donated it to newborn, but then again 50€ from me alone won't exactly help much. I demand a new KS :D .... i wish the team would have the resources they actually deserve :(.

Holy shit, got side-tracked.

Anyways...good luck to the team as always and i hope you find a rich sugar-daddy who throws some money at you :/.

Regards

You're absolutely right regarding speed and team size, but it is how it is. Typically an art department is at least 5 to 10 times the size of a code department. We'd be 1 to 1 (and actually 1 and 1, 1 coder, 1 artist)... and this is if I wasn't doing shaders/effects etc. as well... and meshes, textures, anims etc. Ends up spreading me pretty thin. Have a bunch that hasn't been shown yet but needs some more work to get implemented as newborn said. Hoping to be able to get to this soon. We're trying :)

The new textures don't feel like they quite match Dishonored or The Order 1886, particularly the Dishonored--they feel a little too attempted-realism, if that makes sense. Almost CoD like, with attempting to look like real world textures.

Not necessarily a bad thing (although I did really love the atmosphere in Dishonored), and I understand that they are alpha textures--to be changed and such :)

Yeah they'll be given another pass most likely, it's more so of getting things in with at least a first pass at this stage. :)

Biggest downfalls of this game are in the graphics. Early conceps were awesome. I really never understood why you didnt pursue any of them. If you are wanting to do realistic graphics use proper engine like UE4 / Unity. If your going to continue using your own engine, please go for more stylized graphics as in dishonored etc. If you choose the latter, textures must be HANDPAINTED / SCULPTED. Copy pasting textures just looks cheap. You have artist / artistst, USE THEM.

It might be that current map editor doesnt allow level of editing that would be needed for that visual complexity, but it can be solved simply by allowing people to use real 3d software to make maps and even bake lightning. You can later develop ingame mapping tools to level that is needed to archieve the visual complexity wanted.

For example that gothic styled map could be modeled / textured from scratch in 1-2 weeks of time if you have proper skill. Texturing, modeling and sculpting a weapon model takes like 1-2 days so Its not that big deal either. I have been following development for 6 months and graphically game is still at same point as when I first started playing, I dont really get what Electro has been doing all the time. Assets / textures released are stuff that can be made in minutes instead of hours or days.

While moving away from sci-fi only was a good move

Completely disagree..

Here is my post from the theme topic about why i think it's bad to leave Scifi/Tech theme.

Textured a map now with that new textureset and at first i was like "yeah, this might be alright" but then got finished in the texturing and finally started playing my map, i started to be not so sure anymore.. Imo the this old industrial look or what it is, isn't so good because a thing happened which i expected. The enviroment becomes very depressing since it's so non-alive (if that makes sense) and also i just don't see it fitting to this. Realistic look is harder to pull off than fun wacky look and also more things will not make sense with realism (like teleporters). With scifi, enviroments look very vivid (alive), stuff doesn't need to make sense etc..

I'm probably gonna continue to make maps in Scifi look because that's the kinda theme that imo is made for arena fps games and suits them the best.

About update otherwise? Great job. The sun is definitely more cool than the old solid world color, racemode is cool to have and a new vid also released for more visibility :)

Though, things that are still needed imo.

-Ammopickups

-Editor rotate and multi select feature

-Crouch and walk moves