newborn

0.34.3 - Knock knock

Only a small update today but one a lot of players have been waiting for. For now, all of these gameplay changes are considered "first pass" and will likely be tweaked over the next few updates.

First up, we've made some significant changes to our knockback system. We now use different values for "vs grounded player" and "vs enemy player", giving us far more control over how approachable a player is (while keeping in-air knockback amounts reasonable). We've also tweaked the way knockback angles are calculated for some weapons. Not only does this prevent the annoying "RL pop-up", players should now always be knocked in the direction you expect them to be, regardless of where you hit them and where they're standing.

The falloff for splash damage has also been tweaked. This will be most obvious with the Rocket Launcher -- it now has a minimum splash damage of 25 and you will need to hit closer to your target for higher damage.

Finally, we've added a resist powerup as a counter to Carnage. This powerup absorbs 75% of health damage, after the usual armor calculations have been applied.

Gameplay:

• Knockback values have been split into separate values for grounded/airbourne targets
  • Splash damage falloff has been tweaked.
  • Added resist powerup

Scripting:

• Resist powerup added to item timer widget because people on the forums love item timers and want us to add as many as possible.

Fixes:

• Rotations folder is now included with dedicated server builds.
  • Updated default rotation file to point to included thcdm13-v2 (instead of a missing version)
  • Added sv_startrotation to dedicatedserver_default.cfg
  • Weapons with no ammo are no longer selectable
  • Disabled desktop composition as it locks framerate to 60hz in windowed mode on Windows 7 (despite people running their desktops @ 144hz)
  • Fixed end game camera on rflx-race1
  • Exposed r_outlines command to public builds

Art:

• Fixed roughness on planks material.
  • Added meshes: wooden beams, pallet, crates
  • Added materials: block_01, wood_bare, 
  • Updated effects: steam_lava
  • Updated devsceneX maps.

Yirktos, on 09 Jun 2015 - 2:15 PM, said:Yirktos, on 09 Jun 2015 - 2:15 PM, said:Yirktos, on 09 Jun 2015 - 2:15 PM, said:

After this update, the game is now forcing windows 7 into basic mode (disabling aero). I was not experiencing this issue until this update.

Fixes:

• Disabled desktop composition as it locks framerate to 60hz in windowed mode on Windows 7 (despite people running their desktops @ 144hz)

The problem i have with this, is the fact that im forced in to windowed mode after each launch. Alt+Enter gets tiresome.

Edit:

Only happens if the menu.rep is present. Otherwise no problems.

• Resist powerup added to item timer widget because people on the forums love item timers and want us to add as many as possible.

Honestly now. I know you try to be funny and stuff...but this is just ridiculous. A few weeks ago you have been 100% timers as well and now you don't even present reasons why you aren't anymore. Really.

( also ....you say you are tired by timers discussions etc. yet you write that ....what do you expect? really now....)

great update though.

And why would you want to select a weapon that has no ammo? 

traditionally you'd select the weapon with no ammo right before you go to pick it up. reflex though has two issues, no ammo boxes, and instant weapon switch. Ideally it's nice to be able to take out a weapon with no ammo right before you pickup ammo. There's situations where you're wanting to use the RL, have no ammo, can quickly pickup ammo but you need the RL for the situation you're about to go into.

I don't know if or when ammo will be added, but if the weapon can't be selectable when you have no ammo, and the only way to get ammo is picking up the same weapon, maybe you should drop the weapon when it's empty? If I can't select it when it's out of ammo, why have it at all? Especially when you have to pickup a weapon to get ammo, essentially you're just grabbing the rocket launcher with 10 rockets again.

I think both might be confusing though, "why can't I select this weapon, I have it?". It might be a decent idea to say "when your weapon is out of ammo, you lose it. grab it again if you want it". I think it might be less confusing if you drop the weapon when it's out of ammo, vs having it not be selectable and still having it. Just throwing ideas out there, in the end it's a minimal difference.

The new devscene maps now actually also include:

devscene3 - lighting tests, from skylights

devscene4 - shows off the new wood beams and wooden crates

The devscene4 cube crate with metal edging reminds me of the ammo boxes in Quake :P

After this update, the game is now forcing windows 7 into basic mode (disabling aero). I was not experiencing this issue until this update.

I have same problem with windows 7. Also problems with the rocket launcher knockout, it feels that the some damage does not pass...

Scripting:

Absolutely love the passive aggressiveness contained in this line.

Still getting used to the new RL, but it feels good to me so far! (even though I can no longer get away with my usual tactic of all times rocket rush)

Part of me misses the old popup, even though I know it was too much. Overall the game feels good though.

Is it just me or does there seem to be a bit of lag between the time that you click your mouse to the time that the rocket is actually fired? 

​many said that. for me its not. but i have massive delay when switching weapons and then firering

also i have (and all others i spoke to) some sound skipping after picking up items or whatever. cant really say. sound is muted for 1-2 seconds then and appears again

in race mode sound skipping can happen when you respawn, cannot hear the sound of the first jump sometimes.

Mainly occurs online with other players running, maybe when two players are respawning almost at the same time, I guess...