tossedpotmeebrow

Ideas For Unique Game Modes? (Brainstorming)

As it stands right now, there seems to be a demand for more team modes and game modes in Reflex. We all know how much CTF will help the game and the player base, but it made me think of other games and their own respective modes. For example, the 'payload' mode was pretty non-existent until TF2 came a long and made it popular. The same goes for any CS game, there are many popular mods/modes like GunGame which became popular enough for Call of Duty to use (and re-name).

It got me thinking, what if Reflex had a unique game mode? Not something like Payload, but something completely new. I think other arena FPS games have their place, but we can all agree a new unique mode to Reflex (that is fun and popular) would create a lot of potential new and dedicated players.

I've seen the new Unreal Tournament focus on a one-flag CTF, and a CTF that involves rounds and buying weapons/armor (like Counter Strike). None of these strike me as interesting or unique, since normal CTF would likely be just as fun, and faster paced.

I wanted to post something with a decent idea or two, but unfortunately I haven't come up with much. What allows for a new potential mode is the fact that it's an arena FPS game, most shooters now are team based games that have limited mobility and weapons. Since Reflex is faster paced and not realistic, new game modes could exist that work in the AFPS genre, but not in other ones.

These ideas would not be things like freeze-tag, king of the kill, or anything like that. While those modes could/should be added and would be fun, they wouldn't be unique, nor draw in any new players.

So any ideas anyone?

A idea for a casual game: Hide and seek.

Only one player can do damage. The others just have to try to survive as long as possible. By running, denying weapons, gather health and armor and using weapon knockback.

The game mode may have a point system, so that instant respawn is possible. Giving higher rewards for frags on players that have survived long.

Edited by Frekkerebba

Only one player can do damage. The others just have to try to survive as long as possible. By running, denying weapons, gather health and armor and using weapon knockback.

The game mode may have a point system, so that instant respawn is possible. Giving higher rewards for frags on players that have survived long.

In line with the speed of movement:

3v3 symmetrical maps. 3 "doorways" per side. An enemy entering your doorway would trigger a point for them and cause the doorway to close for 10 or so seconds. A guy uncontested in your base could rack up 3 points fairly quickly.

Call it doorway or something I dunno.

​I always thought a "cat and mouse" mode would be fun, but it would likely be 1v1 and round based. You could do a team mode, where there's multiple cats and one mouse. cats would have weapons, but the mouse would have armor, faster movement, etc. The maps would need to be designed around it though, they'd have to be a lot bigger I think. Could be a fun idea, strafing around with no protection from multiple enemies. maybe you could do it like a maze? go from point A to point B without dying.