Sign in to follow this  
kRVRKV

Few quick questions

Any help is much appreciated:

1. Is there any way to make a clip or full clip brush work only one way? e.g. you can enter but you can't exit

2. I remember game having some stone material (one that looked like rocks irl) a while ago, where did it go?

3. Is there any way to add more than one weapon into weapon restriction brush?

4. Is there any proper way to create a line of strafe pads? how many units should I add every next gap?

5. Why are the reflection probes needed?

(if any of those questions were discussed quite a lot, you'd have to excuse me cos I simply haven't met these topics on forum)

Edited by kRVRKV

1. Nope. If we ever made something like that, it would have to be visually unique so that it wasn't confusing. It's also not really how the clip works, since it's basically a solid (but invisible) brush -- there's not really any way to give it a sense of "direction". There might be work arounds for it, depending on what you're trying to do. For example, you could put a thin full wall with teleporters on one side and none on the other (like this). Not heaps graceful since it resets your view angles etc but like I said, depends on what you're trying to do.

2. I don't think we've removed any materials in the last 3 months so it's either still in there or is way old and used our old texture system.

3. Yup, the weapon restrictor is a bitmask. Check out this post for info.

4. That depends entirely on how well you strafe.

5. The probes are used for the fresnel reflections that you see on (most) materials at sharp angles. Using a generic environment map for these looks weird, so we use a probe. Eventually, we'll use multiple probes.

2. I don't think we've removed any materials in the last 3 months so it's either still in there or is way old and used our old texture system.

5. The probes are used for the fresnel reflections that you see on (most) materials at sharp angles. Using a generic environment map for these looks weird, so we use a probe. Eventually, we'll use multiple probes.

Thank you for helping me out but there are still some unclear things for me.

2. Thing with my stone material was that there've been a folder in materials folder that had two textures of stone, but it got removed as soon as I made integrity check of the game because when I was trying to use them, they didn't work properly and were giving me a "buggy mirror" material instead.

5. So it's ok to not use that prob entity when you're rendering out your light map? I mean I personally haven't noticed any difference, maybe cos I don't really know how it works :s

2. these were debug materials from the devs and not for use. u find all regular textures in Steam\SteamApps\common\Reflex\base\structural

5. the reflection probe avoids shiny surfaces in your map and applies those where u placed it. e.g. u place it in some lava and all your surfaces in close angle like walls or floors get that shine color as well. gives a more natural look

5. the reflection probe avoids shiny surfaces in your map and applies those where u placed it. e.g. u place it in some lava and all your surfaces in close angle like walls or floors get that shine color as well. gives a more natural look

so you say there are light bounces (same lava-walls scenario) when you render light map, which give you lava-coloured shine on walls and then there is reflection probe which does the same thing but in this case amplifies how realistic it looks out like?

i think u dont understand

make a map with just a huge floor and look at the skyline. u will notice a white shining at some point all over it when u have lightmap.

now place a probe and render again

the white shining is gone

i think u dont understand

make a map with just a huge floor and look at the skyline. u will notice a white shining at some point all over it when u have lightmap.

now place a probe and render again

the white shining is gone

ok, yeah now I get it. thanks for explaining

this was the material I was talking about b2422e4a30.jpg