KovaaK

Youtube tutorial series for new players to the game

So, I spent Sunday and Monday furiously writing up notes and recording videos since I wanted to get to as many of the newer players to the game as I could (yay Steam sales).  Many of you have already seen the end result - 10 episodes (about an hour and a half) of videos going from the very basics of Reflex to some more advanced strategies to employ in duel.  

Here's the full playlist.  Or, here are the individual episodes:

1. Introduction
  2. Movement Basics
  3. Game Modes
  4. Health/Armor Systems & Powerups
  5. Weapons
  6. Configuration
  7. Combat tips
  8. Subtleties
  9. Advanced dueling strategies
  10. How to get better

If you prefer to read text instead of watch video, I transcribed my notes into something more intelligible and put them on the Reflexfiles wiki here.

My intent is to try to keep this series relatively up to date with changes to the game.  I separated the series into so many episodes so that if I need to re-record something, it won't be a major hassle.

Also, as I mentioned at the end of the last video, I am planning on doing some informal demo reviews when I get a chance here/there.  Players of any skill can send me a replay (just message me here, on IRC, Steam, or Reddit to coordinate), and I'll try to give it a fair review of what I thought could have been done differently.  I'll let you know what I think you missed.  I just request that the game you played be something where it wasn't a complete blowout in one direction or the other, and that you were engaged with playing the entire game (not spacing out).

Edited by KovaaK

What about translation (subtitles)? I can try a bit to translate on russian)
Omg, 1 minutes of video take of me near 10 minutes of translation process :D

Edited by Furioness

If translations are completed for a video, I don't mind adding them to the Youtube videos.  Never done that before, but if someone helps me with the process (timing the subs to the right place in the video), I could do that.

First part full ready (with timings).
Just
1.add russian subtitles;
2. go to editor;
3.upload this.
This is moar hard that seems. I'm not pro, but this is good enough. U can ask lunohod_2, cookie or another russian player for check quality and filthy language here :D
Next part I gonna complete for near a week if I have free time.

captions_1.sbv

A quick consideration, Furioness, I might be re-recording some videos like the weapons one if Stake Launcher is removed. Also, I'm not sure that I'm entirely happy with the movement one.

Maybe the best option for translation would be for me to post a cleaned up copy of my notes on a Reflex wiki and let you have a pass at translating those instead of doing subtitles. 

I like your series, it already helped me a lot! Is there any chance you might find the time / motivation to maybe do a tutorial video for ReflexJump or some of the b0_reflex rooms? :)

I like your series, it already helped me a lot! Is there any chance you might find the time / motivation to maybe do a tutorial video for ReflexJump or some of the b0_reflex rooms? :)

A better bet might be to watch mew's cpma b0 video.  It's quite comparable in mechanics to Reflex.  And is this helpful for Reflexjump?

Thanks a lot for these videos Kovaak. I learned a bunch of nice tricks.

Maybe you could do another video going in depth with some of the movement tricks?

Movement stuff, eh.  Do you mean like map specific tricks?

You have sexy voice.  I love it.

But on the tips.. The combat tips, (get air rocketed and dodge qw style) you didnt mention at all about the momentum that if the rocket hits you from behind u can just keep pushing forward (or backward in frontal cases) to make bigger and better dodges without losing speed at all and in most cases get away from the situation completely.

Edited by danskq

You have sexy voice.  I love it.

But on the tips.. The combat tips, (get air rocketed and dodge qw style) you didnt mention at all about the momentum that if the rocket hits you from behind u can just keep pushing forward (or backward in frontal cases) to make bigger and better dodges without losing speed at all and in most cases get away from the situation completely.

​I have it in my notes to talk about using qw style movement (hold a or d and spin) when you are popped up with a rocket.  Did I forget to talk about it in that vid?  I'll be sure to mention it next time I record...