Sign in to follow this  
dooi

Team Fortress/Weapons Factory Sequel Opportunity???

Hey all,

I played Weapons Factory Arena for Quake 3, Team Fortress for Quake World, TFC, and TF2. This is a phenomenal platform and I think a Team Fortress style game-type is worth looking into. Seeing as TF2 is slow, boring, and repetitive, a fast-paced version on a $10 package like Reflex could be pretty sick.

Look up Weapons Factory Arena on Youtube and see what you think. It may add some value to this game with a mode that has somewhat been streamlined by TF2, Battlefield, all the other class based games, but has MAJOR room for improvement. Weapons Factory had all of the same classes as Team Fortress Classic + Grappling hooks and many more gadgets. 

I am not dissing the old school deathmatch game types (1v1, CTF, TDM, FFA, Etc.), I have a dueling background myself. I am simply stating that combining classic arena game play with the popularity of TF2 could be pretty awesome. 

I'd love some old old school TF action in Reflex, if they brought it I'm sure I could get some of my old clanm8's to check the game out at last (seeing as some of them hail from that game)

I haven't played WFA or TF for QW, but I would imagine the class system not working well in combination with the movement mechanics this game has. You could of course vary how each class is allowed to move, but at that point I fail to see how you are basing a game mode off of Reflex, seeing as the movement is practically THE defining aspect of this game and genre. At that point it feels like a split off mod, rather than a mode.

I would be interested to see a quasi class system though, in which each "class" is allowed only two specific weapons, for example rockets + shotgun, nades + shaft, and bolt + plasma, and then maintain class restrictions -- say, two of each class, which means 6v6 (the main competitive format of TF2).

I would also be very very happy to see some (likely heavily modified) TF2 maps brought to Reflex, possibly for CTF?
A CP gamemode in Reflex would also be interesting, but I'm not sure how well it would play.

I haven't played WFA or TF for QW, but I would imagine the class system not working well in combination with the movement mechanics this game has.

​I mean, kind of but not really? In QWTF and ETF each class has their own base speed. Of course the speed of bhoping is uncapped, so yeah all the classes can get going extremely fast eventually. But "eventually" is a pretty key word there. It's gonna cost you time to build up that speed as an HW and you won't be making nearly as many runs as a scout. Ultimately it's a trade off, because if you can do the work as heavier classes it somewhat makes up for the lack of runs and constant pressure faster classes can put on. The source branch of fortress went a different way and just put a percent based speed cap on each class. Something like 180-170% of base speed, so scouts can get up to 600ups, but soldier can only go about 420ups, so you never see anything slower than a soldier play offense and even that is saved for particular maps.

I would love to see some TFC, FF action in reflex. Concs are like the sickest movement in any game, it's basically bunnyhopping, but in the sky, much much faster. But honestly I don't think classes really make any game modes inherently better. It's still just CTF. The class system in qwtf/tfc does force more structure, which I like a lot. But I'd rather see the devs try to create an innovative new (classless) mode, rather than try to force classes into existing modes.

NTF (Not Team Fortress) in CPM comes pretty close to what most would probably imagine TFish gameplay being like on Reflex and it seems to be quite popular in pickup games so you can give that a try at #cpmpickup. It plays well as it is, but if you're a fan of TF more than Q3, then FF might be a better pick like FDA said. Although I feel more close to home playing NTF in CPM, personally I think FF is the best class based/fast paced shooter out there to date. There's a few worth the effort- tricks even guys with Defrag/Bhop background might be unfamiliar/puzzled with off the starters.