Gangland

Why do you play Reflex?

I had a couple exposures prior, but I first got into FPS in 1996 with Quake on a 100mhz Pentium computer and 28.8 modem, when I was 13 years old.  I remember the first CTF server fighting over keys instead of flags, the rivalry between Future vs Fantasy and Team Fortress, checking Blues News and Slipgatecentral daily for mod releases, the transition from Netquake to Quakeworld... all that stuff.  

Nothing has ever captured the magic of the first Quake for me.  I didn't even feel like Quake 3 had the same freedom of movement, and I hated the railgun.  Every FPS I've ever played since has felt so restrictive.

Reflex might do it.  I've been waiting a very long fucking time, so here's hoping.  I picked up the early access when it first came out on Steam and saw the potential... but there was never anyone playing and I didn't see any development happening.  I thought it was going to be abandoned early.  Today I was disappointed by the Doom open beta, and decided to have a look around if there's been any other developments in arena FPS.  Found that Reflex has come a long way, and the community has grown!  I'm super excited.

Hello ! ^_^

For my part, I played Unreal Tournament when I was around 10 years.
And then later I found out Urban Terror or I play for a roughly 4-5 years.
But the Quake series and Doom my always attracted. So I play shareware and also Freedoom waiting to pay me. I try other fps as Warsow, Xonotic, Nexiuz, Cube, Cube 2, AssaultCube, and Open Arena and Quake Live. I also like Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior and Hexen and Heretic. In fact I probably test any derivative FPS Doom and Quake including Half-Life. As against what is certain is that I do not really like Counter-Strike, even if it is playable. Quake 3 and me with the reference model are Defrag I try there shortly. I'm more focused on non-real movements with unrealistic environements. What I like most is to exploit the physical games and find bugs or glitches. That's why I like Reflex, because it is one of the Arena-Shooter / FPS Fast I had not yet play!

Here's a youtube link made on Urban Terror, I even managed to invent some jumps:

Sorry for your understanding, I'm French ! I used google translation. :wacko:

I play because I need something to play when I start getting mad at CS.  I'm a very competitive gamer.  I also saw the potential that a game like reflex has with it's extremely high skill ceiling and I didn't want to miss the opportunity to be apart of the game in it's most early stages.  I'm hoping the game will grow into something huge and I will already be a good player by the time it attracts a large player base.  

Because of Quake, primarily. I started playing Quake2 as a teen online on a 28kbps modem and it was amazing. I still remember what happened when I first connected to a multiplayer server on the Internet. I saw a plasma gun at the bottom of the stairs on q2dm8, moved towards it, and when I reached it I got fragged with a railgun from the opposite end of the map!

Reflex impressed me because of the quality of its engine and the vision of the developers. They went to KS with a working engine, which showed passion for their craft, and it looked amazing.

I like fast stuff. I stay away from strategy games because they tend to be slow and require little executional skill. Games like Reflex require a good amount of strategy no doubt, but it's also fast paced, which I like.
I recall playing a free browser game called Uberstrike, which might be considered an afps game, and if it is it was my first, but I was never quite good at it. Then a friend wanted me to play QL with him (back when it was on browsers for free, probably around 2014-2015ish), and I loved it. Recently I started playing QL more consistently, and that lead to me buying Reflex (another friend told me about it, he bought it around the time when gun models were the same or something). After watching defrag and frag movies with beautiful movement, I really wanted to play PQL more in QL, but unfortunately those servers are rarely active. This pushed me to buy Reflex. Main reason I didn't buy it sooner is due to the small playerbase, which is a shame the game really deserves traction, even in early access.

Reflex is great because it's fast and strategic. It's a lot of fun to pick up weapons and hit hard on your enemy after flying up some stairs. I like that most maps have interessting architecture and extravagant layouts with teleporters and jumppads.. Each gamemode has it's own unwritten objectives (duel: cycle all the items so that there is enaugh time between their seperate respawns, FFA: move fast, get Rocketlauncher, get armor, always get Carnage.. etc.) It's cool but at the same time for me it's also the only weakness of this game, because it can get confusing and frustrating. It requires so much concentration for decisionmaking while playing and forces you to invest a lot of time into demo analysis if you want to improve. It's not easy and maybe not for everyone. I still don't know how to watch my replays.. I really hope there will soon be a compfortable and userfriendly way to watch demos in game.

Just now, furyaxsfigkjhn said:

Reflex is great because it's fast and strategic. It's a lot of fun to pick up weapons and hit hard on your enemy after flying up some stairs. I like that most maps have interessting architecture and extravagant layouts with teleporters and jumppads.. Each gamemode has it's own unwritten objectives (duel: cycle all the items so that there is enaugh time between their seperate respawns, FFA: move fast, get Rocketlauncher, get armor, always get Carnage.. etc.) It's cool but at the same time for me it's also the only weakness of this game, because it can get confusing and frustrating. It requires so much concentration for decisionmaking while playing and forces you to invest a lot of time into demo analysis if you want to improve. It's not easy and maybe not for everyone. I still don't know how to watch my replays.. I really hope there will soon be a compfortable and userfriendly way to watch demos in game.

I believe the devs announced in the roadmap that soon there will be and easyier way to check your replays with your replays automatically being recorded and some more sweet jazz :)

3 hours ago, furyaxsfigkjhn said:

Watching replays is easy! Setting up fancy camera angles etc. is trickier right now, but for the purpose of just reviewing a demo for analysis, you've literally just got to play it:

1. get a demo file! Play on duel servers that let you download them via a website (my 'Jaguar/Laerad' servers record replays, as do a few others, but there is no automaticly updated webpage. But you can ask the server admin!
  2. Put the .rep replay file in the /replays folder in the game directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Reflex is the default path I think).
  3. Fire up Reflex, hit the tilde key to bring down the console (that's the key under 'Esc' and to the left of '1').
  4. Type 'play <filename>' and hit Enter, where <filename> is the name of the replay without the .rep extension
  5. You'll need to bind some keys but the commands you'll probably need are
    1. re_speed 0 - to pause the play (e.g. 'bind re numpad0 re_speed 0').
    2. re_speed 1 - to play!
    3. re_set_player_attached_to <playername> - changes the POV. You have to type the player's name precisely. If you intend to switch between the two players' POVs rapidly, you can bind the two players to two keys.
    4. you can easily rewind and fast forward by holding down the shift key and moving the mouse left and right. This is the best way of timeskipping at the moment, even though it is quite slow for longer chunks of time - but it is ideal for rewinding multiple times, to watch a segment of play over and over.

That's about it? Give it a go, ask questions if you get stuck :)

1 hour ago, Jaguar said:

Nope!

I have demo's in "E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\reflexfps\replays",

*Edit:
-or at least i think they are demo's, but I've never tried playing them. When I try to play them, it seems the latest onces were made using an older version of reflex.
-Also, I don't see any recent 'demo's' (or whatever they are). The latest have a timestamp of 29/9/2016.

9 minutes ago, Woeste Wessel said:

I have demo's in "E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\reflexfps\replays",

*Edit:
-or at least i think they are demo's, but I've never tried playing them. When I try to play them, it seems the latest onces were made using an older version of reflex.
-Also, I don't see any recent 'demo's' (or whatever they are). The latest have a timestamp of 29/9/2016.

Thats from your local server, when you are wonking around on a map on your hosted server :)

I'm so excited.

This game is every bit as cool as I'd hoped it would be, so far. I got it yesterday and I'm so stoked to play. Just wishing there were more South Africans playing already - but I'm hoping that will come. 

Like I said in my Steam review... we don't want something easy. We want something great. And I really think this game has what it takes to fill the massive shoes of that long-lost true oldschool arena fps I have craved. 

I used to play QIII Arena and QL casually, but with great appreciation for the high skill ceiling and competitive nature.

Although I won't be able to play quite as much once the holidays are over, I'm looking forward to playing Reflex as regularly as I can. 

I created a South African server, Moose' Noob Duel [ZAR] - it won't be up all the time but if you're from South Africa (or Africa at all, or any country where you can play with me at acceptable ping) hit me up, I'd LOVE to play.  

Please please let's keep this game alive.