newborn

Reflex 0.36.0 - Cofe Time for in talk English

I felt like I had to offset each viewmodel individually to get them in the same position:

bind game 1 weapon 1; cl_weapon_offset_z -1.5; cl_weapon_offset_x 0; cl_weapon_offset_y -1.5
bind game 2 weapon 2; cl_weapon_offset_z -1.5; cl_weapon_offset_x 3; cl_weapon_offset_y -1.5
bind game 3 weapon 3; cl_weapon_offset_z -4; cl_weapon_offset_x 3; cl_weapon_offset_y -2
bind game 4 weapon 4; cl_weapon_offset_z -1.5; cl_weapon_offset_x 4; cl_weapon_offset_y -1.5
bind game 5 weapon 5; cl_weapon_offset_z -0.5; cl_weapon_offset_x 4; cl_weapon_offset_y -1.5
bind game 6 weapon 6; cl_weapon_offset_z -0; cl_weapon_offset_x 4; cl_weapon_offset_y -1
bind game 7 weapon 7; cl_weapon_offset_z -1.5; cl_weapon_offset_x 4; cl_weapon_offset_y -1.5
bind game 8 weapon 8; cl_weapon_offset_z -4; cl_weapon_offset_x 4; cl_weapon_offset_y -2

Edited by bossu

​There's no lightmaps to build anymore, only probes. Light should also be building a lot faster.

​Ok I only tried r_lm_build on one community made map that was fairly small and it took a really long time. I'll try it in other maps to see the results.

Really impressed by the art style, definitely a great choice, well done devs.

​Ok I only tried r_lm_build on one community made map that was fairly small and it took a really long time. I'll try it in other maps to see the results.

Really impressed by the art style, definitely a great choice, well done devs.

​If I had to guess, I would guess that at some point they've lost a brush waaaay off in the distance and it's building probes out to there.

The strange thing I noted with my old compile script was that the resolution of the Reflex window no longer changed:

r_resolution 128 128 60 // Switch to minimum low-res for compile

r_lm_stats 1             // Show compile stats, texels/s, compile duration, bounce

cl_gibs_maxcount 1       // 128 default
r_dynamic_shadows 0      // 1 default
r_bloom 0                // 1 default
r_decals 0               // 1 default
r_fxaa 0                 // 1 default
r_dynamic_lights 0       // 1 default

r_lm_build               // Launch the compile

Probably the r_resolution 128 128 60 command changed. I compiled all my three maps to see how that turns out... not too bad. Though I do not have any manually placed probes (reflection ones?!) in the maps. Compile times may have been faster, I'd have to double-check with my map .txt files and compare them.

r_lm_stats 1

No longer seems to show stats. I only see a % value for the lightmap compile. => script problem apparently.

And the compile seems to use very little or no extra computational time on my Quad-Code (i7 920)... I have an DX11 ATi HD 5850 board, and can it be that for the first time the light compiles actually happen on the GPU, even for the ATi gfx cards? Hmm... strange.

Possibly I am overlooking something... but these are my perceived changes.

Edited by AEon

looks great :) Oh, and just one little question regarding assets like the torch shown in the "preview" thread posted a couple of weeks ago, will you be able to change the color of the flame itself? if you for some reason want all the flames blue or whatever, not just the torch but the actual flame. Thanks

Edited by nepra

Not wanting to rock to boat on the respawn weapon/item models... they look fine, and colour-coding them as well. I am not so fond of that flicker, i.e. apparently imitating a "laser focus" issue. I find it slightly irritating when looking at the nice map, to have the items flicker... its a movement flicker actually. Just my 2 cents though.

On the subject of colour-coding... how come the yellow railgun (arrow icon looks a bit off, like from some fantasy RPG) fires blue rays, and the pink/purple plasma gun also fires blue balls? The lightning gun is blueish, but the beam orange... or the grenade launcher is green but the grenades are red? No idea... might be some logic behind this, though the same colour theme as used for the icons in the HUD used for weapon and ammo would be simpler to follow IMO.

Edited by AEon

bdm3 really does look great. I'm still not a fan of how the art style is now "highly detailed environment with picmip maxed out". But as far as that style goes bdm3 is great. Still looks a little bland in some ways.

I think the gun models are pretty gross. I like the burst gun is good (though it sits a little awkward, I'll have to play around with it's offset), and the IC is stellar in my opinion. I think the bolt in particular is hideous though.

bdm3 really does look great. I'm still not a fan of how the art style is now "highly detailed environment with picmip maxed out". But as far as that style goes bdm3 is great. Still looks a little bland in some ways.

I think the gun models are pretty gross. I like the burst gun is good (though it sits a little awkward, I'll have to play around with it's offset), and the IC is stellar in my opinion. I think the bolt in particular is hideous though.

​And here it is, some people just are never pleased..

I still don't get why you have to remove textures. In my install there's 1148MB in *.textureset files. Why waste it all? You can stop working on new textures and move to more important stuff, but removing support for them altogether is a bad idea. Not everyone is a fan of cartoon style.

A few things concerning visibility:
- no gamma control - sometimes it's way to dark, black on blackness
- no support for real AntiAliasing. I'd like to use SuperSampling to remove flickering lines
- flickering items
- no textures - sometimes a few surfaces in the same color merge, so geometry is less visible. Shadows, SSAO, or outlining objects edges may help that, but at an extra processing cost.

​If ever there was a time to not be pleased, to give feedback, it's during the game's Alpha...

​That's not my point. The point it is that some people have basically been happy/pleased about nothing that has been given in reflex..

Fark the new videos and screenshots look good. Time for a big advertising push after .37 imo. (I realise you probably have no money left, so maybe we can all help with that.) If this + CTF + matchmaking doesn't excite the nubcakes, nothing will.

Edited by matt_au

Fark the new videos and screenshots look good. Time for a big advertising push after .37 imo. (I realise you probably have no money left, so maybe we can all help with that.) If this + CTF + matchmaking doesn't excite the nubcakes, nothing will.

​I agree with the advertising push - The game is starting to look and feel like a complete product, which is awesome

​That's not my point. The point it is that some people have basically been happy/pleased about nothing that has been given in reflex..

​I don't even know what this means. But I apologize for providing my objective criticisms mentioning both what I like, and dislike about certain aspects.

​I honestly don't think so. At least not a "big" push. There's simply too much stuff missing, for now. This update is laying down the needed basis for being more "pushable" game, which is: actual art. But art will only be a "small" part ....it helps a lot with people getting interested in the first place, keeping them is a different story.

CTF/team-mode in general+MM+more pretty maps/different themes ..... imo that's the point were you'd go for a "big" push. Everything else seems like a bit of a waste of money, esp. if you don't have much.

Right now it's up to us as a community to push the game at this stage .... but well...we will see. 

Has there been any news regarding when to expect MM? I guess somewhere in .40 or stuff? Personally i'd prefer this order: gameplay -> sound -> quality of life (f.e. workshop, linux dedi, proper remote console) -> MM.

Will be interesting :)

Regards

Edited by FPSports - A. Benz

​I honestly don't think so. At least not a "big" push. There's simply too much stuff missing, for now. This update is laying down the needed basis for being more "pushable" game, which is: actual art. But art will only be a "small" part ....it helps a lot with people getting interested in the first place, keeping them is a different story.

CTF/team-mode in general+MM+more pretty maps/different themes ..... imo that's the point were you'd go for a "big" push. Everything else seems like a bit of a waste of money, esp. if you don't have much.

Right now it's up to us as a community to push the game at this stage .... but well...we will see. 

Has there been any news regarding when to expect MM? I guess somewhere in .40 or stuff? Personally i'd prefer this order: gameplay -> sound -> quality of life (f.e. workshop, linux dedi, proper remote console) -> MM.

Will be interesting :)

Regards

​I pretty much agree with you -- I was imagining .37 as another big update, with CTF, first-pass matchmaking, polished weapon models and some more (graphically) bdm3-quality maps. Even so, though, you're right that it would be a bad idea to jump the gun, and perhaps I was a bit optimistic about the timing.

I just had a quick run around on BDM3, and it looks fantastic to me. It even looks good with all the graphics options on low/off, which is important. IMO the railgun model doesn't quite fit, but overall I'm really impressed. (Looking forward to giving the editor a go too, now that it looks a bit more user friendly.) :)

I still don't get why you have to remove textures. In my install there's 1148MB in *.textureset files. Why waste it all? You can stop working on new textures and move to more important stuff, but removing support for them altogether is a bad idea. Not everyone is a fan of cartoon style.

A few things concerning visibility:
- no gamma control - sometimes it's way to dark, black on blackness
- no support for real AntiAliasing. I'd like to use SuperSampling to remove flickering lines
- flickering items
- no textures - sometimes a few surfaces in the same color merge, so geometry is less visible. Shadows, SSAO, or outlining objects edges may help that, but at an extra processing cost.

​+1

+ the textures are really better looking in 0.36.

Why trashing those wonderful things?