Great work! Usage like this forces my hand to get the vines in with the new style, will have to get on to that asap.

​Wanted to ask about that actually, if the new style will have plants... since adding them even in abstract maps makes them look so much better. So, great news that this is indeed planned.

promEUs, the map is pretty awesome... really beautiful style. And tons of detail, that makes me wonder if you did not cheat by adding new meshes ;)... checking it out.

Edited by AEon

Oke I played this map once against stalast. First impression was ...

OK I am uploading this map to my servers and so I did. Just wanted to say the graphics, textures mapping are impressive. The gameplay is not that bad, but I played it once. Meaby I should play it more I don't know.

Just wanted to say you did an great job making this map, keep up the good work !!!

Oke I played this map once against stalast. First impression was ...

OK I am uploading this map to my servers and so I did. Just wanted to say the graphics, textures mapping are impressive. The gameplay is not that bad, but I played it once. Meaby I should play it more I don't know.

Just wanted to say you did an great job making this map, keep up the good work !!!

​I can't speak for promEUs ofc but I think more feedback from your side would be great to have since I was somewhat involved in the mapping process.

Sorry.... but this looks great so far :P. Love the detail you put in regarding mesh work...like....wow. Only thing i kinda dislike is the monotonous choice of colors. It's hard atm, but i think with variations here and there and trying to make the "rooms" look a bit more "unique" it can look really really well :)

​On a non team based map, the best way to make areas unique is by shape not by making each room a different colour. A lot of the classic FPS maps aren't particularly much to look at but have great layouts. If this map suffers from anything visually it's too many 'box' areas rather than each room not having a different colour. At any rate this is the best looking map so far. When they announced the new art style with bdm3 I was horrified but this one has restored my faith in the mesh system, it looks nice without distracting you with clutter and colours and lights.

​On a non team based map, the best way to make areas unique is by shape not by making each room a different colour. A lot of the classic FPS maps aren't particularly much to look at but have great layouts. If this map suffers from anything visually it's too many 'box' areas rather than each room not having a different colour. At any rate this is the best looking map so far. When they announced the new art style with bdm3 I was horrified but this one has restored my faith in the mesh system, it looks nice without distracting you with clutter and colours and lights.

​It's almost like Reflex is an early access game and still under development, and developing styles is an iterative process. That'd just be weird though -- we should have just clicked a different "make art" button instead of the one we did.

There cannot be any doubt about the very high quality in design in this map... just take the red and yellow "sails" hanging on the ceiling. Even with Radiant and converting that to Reflex it would have been difficult to pull that off only using brushes, uncanny.

Preferring a more simple yet bot-friendly mapping style, i.e. Q3A bots understanding the layouts, I always wondered how maps would look like if bots had trouble navigating a map, e.g. cannot perform clever jumps or know to do so. This map has a lot of disconnected vertical navigation heavily relying on TPs to navigate. Personally I'd probably have added a few bridges to keep e.g. an upper level ring gameplay flow going... and probably have tried to do that on the lower floor as well, removing some of the TPs and when needing to gap vertical spaces using JPs and stairs instead. But that may just be me... old-school FFA :)

Something to look out for in this map is the FPS... when I turn off dynamic lights I still only get 40 FPS, in BDM3 it is 70 FPS... and in the former case that is a *really laggy* 40 FPS, making the map feel like syrup. Note this is primarily my hardware at fault, but the map could be a really good test bed to see what can still hopefully be done in optimizing mesh instances in Reflex... think of all those floor tiles. Since I really prefer to keeps visual settings up, the "lag" really put a dampener on the other-wise beautiful map, for me. (Almost sounds like the whining for Q3A, when back in the day, most folks simply did not have the hardware to run the game on high settings... har).

Anyway... my own Egyptian-themed map AEpyraR... might need to borrow a few of the awesome ideas used in this map... especially the sandstone floor and wall tile aesthetics would fit really well in my map as well.

There cannot be any doubt about the very high quality in design in this map... just take the red and yellow "sails" hanging on the ceiling. Even with Radiant and converting that to Reflex it would have been difficult to pull that off only using brushes, uncanny.

Preferring a more simple yet bot-friendly mapping style, i.e. Q3A bots understanding the layouts, I always wondered how maps would look like if bots had trouble navigating a map, e.g. cannot perform clever jumps or know to do so. This map has a lot of disconnected vertical navigation heavily relying on TPs to navigate. Personally I'd probably have added a few bridges to keep e.g. an upper level ring gameplay flow going... and probably have tried to do that on the lower floor as well, removing some of the TPs and when needing to gap vertical spaces using JPs and stairs instead. But that may just be me... old-school FFA :)

Something to look out for in this map is the FPS... when I turn off dynamic lights I still only get 40 FPS, in BDM3 it is 70 FPS... and in the former case that is a *really laggy* 40 FPS, making the map feel like syrup. Note this is primarily my hardware at fault, but the map could be a really good test bed to see what can still hopefully be done in optimizing mesh instances in Reflex... think of all those floor tiles. Since I really prefer to keeps visual settings up, the "lag" really put a dampener on the other-wise beautiful map, for me. (Almost sounds like the whining for Q3A, when back in the day, most folks simply did not have the hardware to run the game on high settings... har).

Anyway... my own Egyptian-themed map AEpyraR... might need to borrow a few of the awesome ideas used in this map... especially the sandstone floor and wall tile aesthetics would fit really well in my map as well.

This is most likely due to the optimization work that went into the industrial set that hasn't been done to the Gothic assets that have been used. So it should improve performance a fair bit once we get to those :)

Sorry, i think i wasn't clear enough. I'm not saying every room should have a different color. Only thing i'm missing is color-accents all over the map, cuz everything is just...brown.

arshur.jpg

Just look at this picture. I'm looking at how many rooms? Look at all the gorgeous brush/mesh-work. And all you see is..... fifty shades of brown.

Just my opinion.

Regards

Edited by FPSports - A. Benz

Sorry, i think i wasn't clear enough. I'm not saying every room should have a different color. Only thing i'm missing is color-accents all over the map, cuz everything is just...brown.

Just look at this picture. I'm looking at how many rooms? Look at all the gorgeous brush/mesh-work. And all you see is..... fifty shades of brown.

Just my opinion.

Regards

​This is a theme based on reality. You're not going to go visit Aztec temples and see different variations of colours etc. Same with Sumerian, Egyptian etc. 

Anyway, great work promEUs, so far the best map visually-wise :) 

Edited by phgp.tv/wh1te

Just as a side note some of these wonderful ruins, be they Greek or Aztec etc actually were brutally colourful... time and wind and rain just withered all that away. So if you wanted you could brutally add colour.

​This is a theme based on reality. You're not going to go visit Aztec temples and see different variations of colours etc. Same with Sumerian, Egyptian etc. 
Anyway, great work promEUs, so far the best map visually-wise :) 

​Honestly that's silly, and Benz criticism is a pretty good and leveled one. This map is gorgeous but it could really benefit from a splash of color here and there. Some more red, yellow, blue, or green would fit in naturally. The screen shot with the red and yellow canopies is a great example. Little accents like that go a long way. A painted clay pot here or there. Or take the diamonds that you see above the stone face, and are found on a few other walls, those could be fully colored, or perhaps just trimmed in color. Just dabs of color, nothing over bearing.

Besides, "realism" doesn't totally jive with the stylized art style reflex supports now. The two concepts definitely need to keep each other in check for a sensible aesthetic, but that's more in terms of structural and architectural.