Sign in to follow this  
ok_hand

vst1 - Abbadon - New Art Update

vst1 - Abbadon

This is a map I started working on as an experiment and decided to just finish. The art influence was the oldschool quake/doom gothic-satanic style art. I took some of the layout inspiration from CPM15 (the one YA hallway is almost a direct copy/paste :P). I received pretty good feedback on Discord so I thought I'd do a full first-release.

Thanks to PixelTerrorist for finding bugs and giving suggestions that helped fix some problematic areas.Thanks MAD_JIHAD for feedback and visual design ideas. Thanks to guilt, Kovaak, King, DraQu, Pulseeater, Eldrek, Gangland and any others I may have missed for playing and giving feedback. :)

DL: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=609577735

UPDATE 07/24/16: Updated the art again, though it's WIP. More gothicy.

Screen: 

lPNWCgI.jpg

NEW SCREENSHOT ALBUM:

http://imgur.com/a/ZZls1

Items:

1 x RA

2 x YA

1 x MH

1 x 50HP

4 x 25 HP (maybe 5? can't remember)

1 x PG, SG, IC, BR, GL

2 x RL

ziuSiqP.png

C͉͖ͧ̈̃ͧ̉͂̒̒Ọ̡͇̳̺̭͓ͬ̓̀͜Mͤ̈́ͭ̂͌͝͏̨̘͈͙̟̦̤̻E̘͍̞̭͙ͮ̒̐̓͟ ̤̱̥̆̏͋̉̏ͧͫ̓͘͜P̳͖͓̙͓͙̩̳̏͛̑̒́̀ͬ̊͞ͅḺ̨̞̭̃̾̿̑͆̎͌A͖͉̥͇̙̺͆̑ͩ́́Y͖ͥ̾͡
̵̶͉͓̙̝̗̫͍̪̯̽̊ͮͣ̃̅
̩̭̻̱̘̦̪͂̓̀ͦ̉̈͝I̧̘̝̼̫̬̫̗̓̊'̡̞͎͈̥͛̀̎̊̿͆́ͅM͔̱͉͋ͩ ̞̖͔̯̮̬͈͕̈́̉ͤ̋̉͐W̠͇̼̐ͭ̃ͮͥ̂̾̐͘͟A̜̖̪̯͊͗̾̄ͥ̓̔ͩI͉͇̱̹͕͇̗̥͐̈́ͭ̒T̟͔̱̘̞̮͍̹͆̂͗̈Ï̷̫̲͈̭̤̘̟̫ͫ͛ͬͩͨ͆Ǹ͑ͣ̋̂́͏̭͖͍̮̹̜͓͍G̸ͦ͆ͩ͠͏͍͚̤̤̳̝͉̠

How about opening up the ceiling and using moon light? You already did that in several areas. Hmm... after some testing, what might work:

1. I ripped out all your ceilings in the map... IMO that made the map a lot less claustrophobic and brightened things up. I would use this as an opportunity to add more nice open ceiling detail to the map. Much like you did with the grate-ceiling in another part of the map.
  2. Your point lights are pretty much pure red... turning them into a pastel red (a lighter red) reduces the redness of the map and makes it feel less... red ;)...
  3. The intensity of your point lights is 1... you could slightly up that to 1.5 or so... adding more point light sources will probably kills the frame rate (would need testing though).

The map will still feel pretty dark, but the above should help. This is probably due to your pretty dark wall colour throughout.

Edited by AEon

I'll give some of that a try, didn't want the ceiling to be too open though for various reasons (like preventing cross-map nade spam). I also tried using lighter walls but it made the map look like ass and much less evil too, so I went with darker walls. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Something I forgot to mention about the more open ceilings... you seem to have added a Gothic tower at one end of the map... such vertical features might be nifty to have as "vistas" in the map when looking out.

Yeah, that's the kind of thing I wanted to do, but after trying to fix the custom sky effects so it wouldn't kill LM building, it ended up cutting off the ability to see that kind of thing very well so I decided to just forget trying to add that stuff :(. In other news, I updated the map to try to open up some more ceiling and improve lighting, also made some various geometry tweaks here and there.

I noted the "smoke screen" brush you are using on your ceilings, a "race something effect" apparently. That suggests clouds up in the night sky... I am not quite sure if that may not be blocking some of the moon/sky light though. The effect is new to me... so I may be wrong.

Opening up the ceilings in any case should be a good thing and looks nice too. Using pastel point lights now also helps to brighten the map. IMO, there is probably not much else that can be done to make it brighter... it is in theme a dark map after all.

Something that might be looked into is the intensity of the red glow... possibly in the future that can be toned down somewhat. In DM-Ashur the blue'ish glow also kinda stood out strongly. Or was it possible to define the colour of the glow, don't remember. If the latter a less intense red for the lava might be something to look into.

Map has been updated with some visual changes and some pretty big geometry changes to improve map flow. Some hallways were widened, mega platform was adjusted to not feel as "slippery". Some hall ceilings were raised to prevent players from hitting their heads. RA tele exit was moved back a bit, behind BR. One of the arches near RA was removed and the other changed pretty heavily. YA tele exit near MH was adjusted, you can now do a portal jump to the right across the room to the other hallway.

Played a bunch of games on this map last night. Very cool! I like that the armors aren't close to each other as in some other maps. Makes the map feel a bit more tricky. Also, there are a ton of trick jumps, which is also very cool. The corridors are tight, but you can still carry some speed and actually traverse the map pretty quickly. I also thought the map was dark at first, but if you turn on Dynamic Lights it brightens up the map significantly (hit to fps though).

Looking forward to seeing if this map is adopted by the community as a "keeper". Time will tell, but my vote is yes!

Behind  the YA TP you placed a large bot model, you might like to put a point light on that model to make is better visible through the TP. I thought it was the silhouette of some dark architecture since I could not make it out.

The problem is because of bloom, with bloom set to 2 or 1 you won't be able to see it well no matter what because the portal bloom overtakes any lighting behind it, originally had the robot glowing but it wasn't visible.

Updated the map again for the final time until any major balancing/bug issues come up. Fixed lighting as best as I could for people who have dynamic lights off, and made some other geometry changes. Moved the new arch away from the walkway as just a decoration now, added a window in the one YA hallway, opened some ceilings up a bit and made the map set to noon instead of midnight. The sun should help with some lighting and also makes the sky glow more so that's cool too.

Room upon red bring huge fps drop (probably cuz too much lamps in same place).
Logs (front of mega yellow teleport out) now have white colour (seems unnaturally).
Lamps is visible trough walls in some places (probably this need send to devs (or done already).
Lams in some places not spliced correctly.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=517313902
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=517313881
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=517313863
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=517313829

Edited by Furioness

New version (vst1-v2) up on reflexfiles. Pretty big changes were made. Had waaaaay to many reflection probes and I forgot they existed so I didn't fix that until just now, probably like 1/3 of what was before. Added 4 shards near PG and 2 near IC. Did some other fixes to try to improve the map performance, no more cool sky :'(. Also fixed some bugs and changed some geometry, mostly around YA portal exit/MH. It's now easier to take YA portal and get to MH without hitting walls and stuff, hopefully the flow is much better here.

It's probably partly all the bricks that's causing fps hits, I may end up lessening the amount of them but it will look less cool :(. It also might be the torches, they seem a bit buggy in general and increasing their scale might have screwed some stuff up.

We all might need to us, was it r_stats more to get a feel how certain changes to the map influence it. I am still not using reflection probes... and still wonder why those should be used. Or how many of them should be used... I used to think one per room, but BDM3 seems to be using one every 256u or so along paths, floating 64u above the floor.