rednose.

OverBounce Question

Question to devs or any one in the know.

Im just curious if reflex shares or will share the same type of physics that allows players to have small offsets from the ground. To produce random overbounce jumps.

I read this was a part of the quake engine and I am really just curious to find out if reflex shares the same properties ?

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeFRaG

Section>Notes: Explained in Sticky Overbounce.

Edited by rednose.

hmm, sometimes I get what appears to be a tiny height advantage during some of my double jumps I was just curious as to what was causing this. Im sure other players have experienced it =o ?, unless im just hitting the max strafe say 1 out of 50. Well it feels very much like an anomaly, thought I would enquire further =o.

The section about sticky over bounce does mention the bug that can cause a higher over bounce, but I was actually more interested to know about player off set positions from the ground.

Ive quoted bellow, im a bit confused is this also a bug or not intented ?

"the gamephysics allows the players to have tiny offsets from the ground" .

Doublejumps seem to be all about timing and how close you are to the ledge, I'm not super into the technical details so I cant explain it further. But just finding the sweetspot timing for how close your jumps are seems to make me do it more consistent. As for timing and testing shit, I've found the tripplejump near IC YA on DM-Ashur to bee good practice.

Dunno if that was usefull.

I'm not an expert and only tried Defrag for a few hours but isn't overbounce a bug caused by getting to 0 ups midair? Don't think the devs are gonna include it in the game.

​Yes, if you do normal OB you need 0 ups. 

Overbounces depend on a very specific implementation of world collision.

I don't know how Reflex does this, but it's very unlikely to appear without being added intentionally.

The "random unusually powerful doublejump" bug is something else, I guess when a dev finds out they'll tell us :P

The "random unusually powerful doublejump" bug is something else, I guess when a dev finds out they'll tell us :P

​It's repeatable by attempting to just barely go over whatever you are doublejumping on.  Your feet should come as close to missing the lip of the surface without actually missing it.  Sometimes I feel like I can do it 1/10 times, other times it takes me like 25 attempts.

I'm almost positive it occurs because the server doesn't actually set the client's vertical velocity to 0 when you touch the surface, but it still allows a jump and adds vertical velocity (in true Quake 2 style doublejump fashion) because the earlier you do the jump (the lower the surface you are jumping off of), the higher you go.  That said, triple jumps have that same property.  There's a chance that if they fix this double jump bug, they could break triple jumps.  

I reported it with a sample map like a year ago.  It's probably not a high priority fix compared to the many features they want to work on.

As far as I remember, OB, GB etc. were coincidental creation (bugs). I don't think devs will ever include those because it might break the gameplay.

​Strafejumping is a coincidental creation (bug). OB and GB just don't feel like they have a place in a game where the primary focus isn't racing (a la defrag).

​Strafejumping is a coincidental creation (bug). OB and GB just don't feel like they have a place in a game where the primary focus isn't racing (a la defrag).

​That's pretty much what I wrote, you've just put that in different words :)

​That's pretty much what I wrote, you've just put that in different words :)

No, I meant that your reason for them not being included doesn't make sense, as strafejuping would have to be removed as well following that logic, since it also is a bug.

Overbounce was abused a lot in Wolfenstein ET trickjumping and actual matches alike, it added flavor to the game which I think would work in Reflex as well. There's also a similar bug in Cod4 where you jump on top of slopes that have a certain angle, higher the fall and the spot of the slope you hit the higher the bounce. There's entire youtube channels dedicated to learning and doing just that. 

No, I meant that your reason for them not being included doesn't make sense, as strafejuping would have to be removed as well following that logic, since it also is a bug.

​It does make sense. I'll reword it though. OB and GB will be useless in Reflex since the game is already very dynamic. Me and couple of guys tried ob and gb in q3 duels/ctf, it will take you more time to do those and there will be no reward. Moreover, strafe jumping actually helps you move from place to place and is part of the movement that NEEDS to be used where ob and gb are things that only really work in defrag/race gametypes. 

Edited by l2k. wh1te

Overbounce was abused a lot in Wolfenstein ET trickjumping and actual matches alike, it added flavor to the game which I think would work in Reflex as well. There's also a similar bug in Cod4 where you jump on top of slopes that have a certain angle, higher the fall and the spot of the slope you hit the higher the bounce. There's entire youtube channels dedicated to learning and doing just that. 

​Bounces (at least the effective ones) were banned in promod. Codjumper is a lot of fun though, in comp it didn't work because the maps weren't built for it, so people would get on top of building they weren't supposed to.

​Bounces (at least the effective ones) were banned in promod. Codjumper is a lot of fun though, in comp it didn't work because the maps weren't built for it, so people would get on top of building they weren't supposed to.

​I was simply referring to how popular glitches like that often are and how hooked it can get some people, just like any glitch in any game that doesn't necessarily break the game but rather give you a reproducible edge. It would definitely work in Reflex since the arena like maps are built for pretty much anything, with rocket jumps and +1000ups speed in mind to start it off.

​Really? I can't remember it being used in Wolf: ET at all.

OB and GB will be useless in Reflex since the game is already very dynamic. Me and couple of guys tried ob and gb in q3 duels/ctf, it will take you more time to do those and there will be no reward. Moreover, strafe jumping actually helps you move from place to place and is part of the movement that NEEDS to be used where ob and gb are things that only really work in defrag/race gametypes. 

Why repeat yourself? You speak pure nonsense.

Overbounces, as existed in q3, are deemed unsuitable for a competitive combat game because weapon knockback and bouncepads can randomly give you a z-velocity that results in an unpredictable bounce.

This was most noticeable on the space maps, where occasionally MG spam or whatever would send players skidding into the void when they landed from a significant height.

It's the randomness that precludes its use, nothing else. An overbounce surfaceflag or holdable powerup would avoid that.

If you can't see a use for it outside race modes you simply haven't explored the technique.

Gazboost on the other hand is perfectly suited to combat.

Maybe you and those couple of guys are bad at them? That it took you 'more time' to perform (than what?) and didn't give you an advantage suggests so.

Or you tried them in vq3 mode or whatever disgusting QL hybrid and expected defragcpm-level results.

It's still viable in whatever mode, you just have to understand how the technique fits with the rest of the movement methods.

If you just don't like them for personal reasons, fine, say so, or at least give better arguments than "it breaks the gameplay (in unspecified ways)" or "my friends and I read about it in a wiki and failed to do pro moves after trying for five minutes."

​Really? I can't remember it being used in Wolf: ET at all.

It was more commonly used to get that extra bit of speed for strafe jumping. Vertical bounces weren't as much practical outside of trickjumping, but it had it's place(s) in the battlefield as well. I have no idea about the comp scene though. The point is that it's fun, requires skill and people love showing off their skills.