LoNeZiLLa

Tiered Armor and the Ion Cannon at 5dmg

Question

A friend and I tested the differences between YA and RA when hit by the Ion Cannon (which currently deals 5 damage per shot).

YA absorbs 66% of the damage, leaving 34% to be taken away from your Health.

RA absorbs 75% of the damage, leaving 25% to be taken away from your Health.

This works well when dealing a lot of damage at once, but when you get down to 5 damage, YA is just as good as having RA.

If you have 100HP / 100YA, and you take damage from the Ion Cannon, you lose 1HP and 4YA. So you have 99HP / 96YA.

If you have 100HP / 100RA, and you take damage from the Ion Cannon, you lose 1HP and 4RA. Leaving you with 99HP / 96RA.

I haven't been able to come up with a solution to this, other than, raising the damage of the Ion Cannon or somehow averaging the damage out.

4 answers to this question

IC at 104 dps is really bad, hit%'s are basically the same between reflex and cpm, its just a lot less usable.  The low dps doesn't fix ic to bolt spawnfrags, but makes it a lot less usable out of control.  If IC did around 125-140 dps, with slower firerate so that it doesnt take all of your ammo to get 1 frag it'd be a lot better at it's niche while making ic to bolt take about as much time as it does right now.

IC at 104 dps is really bad, hit%'s are basically the same between reflex and cpm, its just a lot less usable.  The low dps doesn't fix ic to bolt spawnfrags, but makes it a lot less usable out of control.  If IC did around 125-140 dps, with slower firerate so that it doesnt take all of your ammo to get 1 frag it'd be a lot better at it's niche while making ic to bolt take about as much time as it does right now.

​Well, it deals 115 DPS I think. I agree that it is quite low though, I think it's actually outclassed by the shotgun now. When it comes to hit%, I'd say it definitely feels easier to hit with IC in Reflex, but not enough to balance it out. You suggest slowing down the firerate, I'd actually suggest increasing it a bit, from one shot every 0.044 seconds, to one shot every 0.04 seconds, so it would deal 125 damage per second.   

Also, I don't think anyone ever deals 115dps with the IC, as there aren't many people hitting 100% IC around.

​What are your thoughts on the IC's niche? Like what exactly is it supposed to be good at?

Is it supposed to create a risk at mid range/give the player in position the ability to control that position?

I just feel that everyone has a different opinion on what the IC is supposed to be. Some people like the game the way it is, but give no reasoning. Others just dislike hitscan. And then there are the very few who like the game the way it is, but they don't know if they truly think the game is balanced or if it's because they are really good at the game in its current state. Making it in their best interest for things to remain the same or close to it.