AEon

AEpyraR2 - AEon's Pyramid for Reflex 2

AEpyraR2 (r78), a sunny, fun FFA/Instagib map with Egyptian style architecture, using meshes.

Description:
A pyramid with jump shaft, faces a temple with tall obelisk. A set of jumppads (layout reminiscent of q3dm17), ledges, and bridges connect these structures. Technically this is a space map.

Many parts of the map have been clipped off to keep the map fluid, and also to reduce the number of places where folks can camp. This was done with instagib in mind. The jump pads are very high arced, again with instagib in mind. The intent is to add as much "bounce" to the map as possible.

File Primary Screenshot

Items:

3x Rocket Launcher,  3x Shotgun,     2x Chain Gun,
          1x Ion Cannon,       1x Bolt Rifle,  1x Stake Launcher

5H x40,  25H x6,  50H x5,  100H x1
          5A x16,  25A x4,           100A x1
          1x Quad Damage
          9x Spawn Points

Download:  http://reflexfiles.com/file/409

Any feedback on the map or general comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Update: revision r78

• Updated the map to better work with the new Reflex version 0.38.
  • The map now uses the new map info fields: author, long map name, min./max. players...
  • The no longer existent editor_nolight texture references have been removed from the .map file. These caused warning spam on the in-game console.
  • New .preview file added.

Update: revision r77

• In the east of the map, the clipping at the base of the trees ended up being difficult to read in-game. Refined the clipping and then added railings to make clear where you can move and where not.
  • The pyramid flanks now are clipped, letting you slide down the sides again.
  • Some of the fog clipping has been fixed.
  • The RG bridges now uses red meshes on the flank.

Update: revision r75

• Based on AEpyraR r39... now using Reflex 0.36.4 meshes to add detail.
  • Layout was slightly compacted, boundaries of map have been better delineated.
  • Arena floor now defined by stepping stones.
  • The pyramid now has a back side, and no longer is cut off.
  • Added significant amounts of extra greenery.
  • Light compile time was very high: 128 min.
Edited by AEon

The best part of this map was surfing on the pyramid, now you've gone and removed it :(

​Hmm... my primary goal was to create the look of an "uncovered" pyramid, using large cut to shape angular stones. This adds a degree of realism... but also adds the possibility to actually run on the now various terraces, adding new levels and probably a different way to take advantage of the extra height. While running about on these terraces, it did occur to me that this might add too much extra pathing. It would not take much effort to clip off all those stones on the pyramid and have them approximated with a ramp. Something I may consider doing.

Edited by AEon

Yea I miss the surfing on the pyramid, I feel like that was one of the strong points of the map. Also the clipping under the trees seems kinda unintuitive?

It looks really good though, and I like the jump pads how they have the vent on them. FYI one of the jump pads leading to the top area is missing one half.

OK... apparently the tiers or steps on the pyramid are not that popular. Noting to clip that into a ramp instead.

Also the clipping under the trees seems kinda unintuitive?

When standing at the temple, e.g. at the RA, and looking at the pyramid, you probably mean those trees on the far right side of the map? With the stick-like very tall fence... if so... right... will need to rethink those, possibly add those black "fences" I have used elsewhere to make clipping "visible".

FYI one of the jump pads leading to the top area is missing one half.

​Do you mean the green JP brush placed inside the mesh in the central shaft of the temple? The brush only covers the vents there by half, to give the JP more angle to make the jump up into the roof area. Though it may be possible to move the JP slightly to cover the whole vent with the JP brush... same reason the central pyramid JP brush.

AEpyraR2 r77

73A982DA94CC460E615B2E643EB055015656B29E (1680×1028)

Update:

• In the east of the map, the clipping at the base of the trees ended up being difficult to read in-game. Refined the clipping and then added railings to make clear where you can move and where not.
  • The pyramid flanks now are clipped, letting you slide down the sides again.
  • Some of the fog clipping has been fixed.
  • The RG bridges now uses red meshes on the flank.

Edited by AEon

Thanks... I was surprised how nicely it turned out... since this is my first time using meshes in such quantity in any of my maps. Last time I used meshes was for a Far Cry single player (beta) map (terrain engine).

With CTF coming up... I am wondering if there would be any interest in a CTF version of this map... obviously I'd change a few things, especially the central hub area (in the temple, the map gets mirrored at the temple) would be enlarged and expanded. My first though was to put the flag up at the railgun (lightning bolt was it?)... but that might be difficult to get to... well... food for thought.

With the new release of Reflex 0.38 a few things needed updating.

Update: revision r78

• Updated the map to better work with the new Reflex version 0.38.
  • The map now uses the new map info fields: author, long map name, min./max. players...
  • The no longer existent editor_nolight texture references have been removed from the .map file. These caused warning spam on the in-game console.
  • New .preview file added.

New PC and this map from:

• Win 7 Pro, Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz,  6.00GB DDR3 @ 534MHz, 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 5850

to

• Win 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz, 16.0GB DDR4 @ 1068MHz, 6GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti (Gigabyte).

Running about in this map I got 50-70 FPS with gfx settings pretty much up there, but with the new PC all settings at maximum at Full HD, I get 330-360 FPS... woha! Oh, on lowest gfx settings the map runs at ~1300 FPS... Map compile time used to be 23 minutes, with the new GPU it's down to about 2 minutes.

So there will be no more whimpering from me about FPS and Reflex... on the contrary... Reflex is running too well ^_^