Sign in to follow this  
Devil

How to debug map? Immediate disconnect online.

I've built a map called Deflex that disconnects you if join a server playing it.  You can play it locally just fine though.  No idea how to find what is causing it to immediately disconnect people on join.  It doesn't crash the server only the player attempting to connect.  Spawn entity looks fine.  There is no light map so I'm sure it's not lighting related.  What my partners and I have done so far is to edit the text file manually stripping out everything 1/2 at a time, connect, see if it crashes.  Been doing that over and over and still can't figure out what in the map is causing this immediate disconnect when played online. 

Anyone know what I should be looking for?  I've already checked all wall brushes for intersects and there are a few minor ones that we've fixed but nothing major.  No random brushes offset way out into space that i can tell either though visibility would prevent us from seeing anything really far out there too so there's no guarantee of that since we've had 3 people working on the map at the same time.

I've tried the profiler but I don't know how to interpret the data.  Don't know if the profiler would be useful for finding such fatal map bugs.

Console doesn't say anything.  player connected, player disconnected.  as soon as you connect sometimes the screen will go pure black or transparent white (initial spawn) but it's a stuck white screen during spawn if that makes sense.  then it lags out and disconnects.  the host can see an immediate connect/disconnect notice but it can take up to a minute before the player gets any kind of notification via console of disconnection.

The map downloads/installs fine.  Seems that the millisecond you spawn into the map is when it disconnects you.

Hmm I don't think we've tried where only I connect and my friend doesn't.  Will have to try that tonight.

I'm not sure if me being in the server is the issue, however I did throw it up on my dedicated box to give that a shot with no luck.  I suppose it is something to try, throwing it up and then keeping me out to check.

The line that shows up is this:  'server: dropping client 'ip' due to full gamestate queue (client disconnect?)'

That's the same line that shows up when people disconnect it seems, unsure where to look right now.

Not sure exactly what the cause was but we spent a couple hours figuring out that it was something in a specific area of the map.  Perhaps our massive map size (10,000 units long) was a contributing factor.  Seems as if intersecting brushes played the biggest role in crashing it.  We've been downsizing our arenas and performance is much better now.  It's stable again.

Would still love to have some kind of debug tools that would have given us a better idea on where to look for the culprit(s).

Agreed.  We searched out maps specifically that had large file sizes and most played perfectly fine.  Our map is currently 400KB and we played 2 maps that were close to 2MB. They actually played as smooth as most maps that are 4KB.  Agreed, file size has absolutely nothing to do with it. We assume that room sizes *might* contribute to performance degradation.  We had no proof to back up that assumption.  Someone will have to do more testing to confirm that.  In our experience the biggest factor was intersecting brushes including teleporter brushes intersecting with wall brushes.  For best performance ensure all walls butt against each other perfectly so that there is no gap and no overlap.

It happened again.  We added a rocket jumping and teleport jumping course.  Map starting crashing when hosted on a server again.  No idea why it's doing this other than a size limitation. If that is the case then how in the heck can we know what the limitation is?  Would be useful if a map developer gets warned when they are close to whatever that limit is.  This is really frustrating.  We want to build an all inclusive training facility but seems that we are limited by some ghostly map size limitation that we can't see.