I4N

Mesh wishlist

• Small trees... as compared to the large one already available (like those abstract ones used in AEpyraR2).
  • Mediterranean Cypress (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cupressus_sempervirens_Stricta.jpg) trees would be nice.
  • Probably might be more useful to have brush-based primitives like 6,8,12,16-sided cylinders, letting us define radius and height. Or "intelligent" meshes that let you define, height and radius and number of sides at will.
  • Water lilies and lotus blossoms, i.e. vegetation that would float on water, with large leaves.
  • Some other designs for JPs and APs... for inspiration the vents used as APs in AEpyraR2... I am sure something nicer could be created. Angled JP meshes might be good, for them to look natural instead of a right-angled-one rotated.
  • In AEdm7R I have many ramps and was wondering how to properly place those industrial wall tiles on them. Manually rotating them would look really ugly. i.e. they would not line up with anything. Ideally wall tiles would also exist in a sheered version, at an angle matching the 16u deep 8u high steps... (inv tan (8/16) = 26.567°)... there exist railings that seems to follow that angle already. Possibly also create a angled set that is 45°.
  • Technically meshes are effects, so it would be neat to have more control over glow, and those fog dispensers (radius, density, size).

There should be hundreds more of suggestions, but for some strange reason I cannot think of any... hmm.

Hopefully the updates on vegetation, the vines we have been using in our maps, could be simplified to use less polygons and materials but look similar and stay the same in size, so that in an ideal world, the update would just load the new meshes and fit the current mesh placement. I guess the light compile would have to be redone still, but that would be fine.

Edited by AEon

I started to experiment with the meshes in the industrial look for AEdm7R2... and noted a few meshes that would really be neat to have, completing the set we presently have. Scaling down or up meshes alas is not the way to go here, e.g. I would like a 32x32u wall tile but scaling down a 64x64u by 0.5 looks plain bad and wrong, since they thickness also gets halved.

Example for how I'd use the suggested meshes:

D305D15F529E0954EF98FE1BC42AE04027068565 (1680×1028)

Tiles:

• 32x32u tile
  • a corner (into the corner see highlights in image; since smashing meshes looks bad IMO)...
    • 32² on 32² @ 90° angle  |_ , also
    • 64² on 64² @ 90° |_ and
    • 128² on 128² @ 90° |_.
    • 32x64 on 32x64 @ 90° |_  
    • 32x128 on 32x128 @ 90° |_
  • I'd very much like to also have a thin 16u tile...
    • 16x16u
    • 16x32u
    • 16x64u, and
    • 16x128u ones for thin decorative strips.

Thanks.

After Thought: This would be the ideal test case for intelligent meshes, that let you set the size in x,y,z as parameters, and in all cases the meshes would "look good".

Edited by AEon

Meshsets:
Cave/Mine theme - carts, railroad pieces, rock formations, scaffolding etc.
Tesla/Steampunk - lots of interesting machinery and border/tile work.
Gothic/Futuristic - something that's obviously unique from the Quake series though. Personally, im a big fan of the dark dungeon style look of quake1 probably because I played the game for almost a decade, haha. I would love to see a mesh set with a similar theme (I guess that's the Gothic one right now that is still WIP?).

Sidenote: Devs - Please replace the plasma with an awesome nailgun that pins players to the the walls if you finish them off with the weapon :p. Would be a nice addition after ragdoll stuff is in.

More flooring options across the board would be great - I dont care much for the industrial tiles (looks good on bdm3 though) or using 100's of brick meshes (even though that works on Ashur). The options are limited right now. How about some simple textured type flooring? subtle bumpy rocks? Something that's minimal/clean for gameplay but still looks textured.  

How about some simple textured type flooring? subtle bumpy rocks? Something that's minimal/clean for gameplay but still looks textured.  

​Come to think of it since we don't have textures... the tiling of textures has been replaced with the tiling of meshes (for the most part)... so irregular meshes that can be placed on a grid to look interesting might really be a challenge to create. Trying to get my head around that still, so cannot presently come up with something constructive.

Something I did just remember are "furnishings"... I use the term in the broadest sense... the torches go along those lines, but there should be tons of stuff that would be neat. E.g. those sail-like cloths in DM-Ashur would be great as meshes... sails in different sizes... so cover decorate walls. I guess this would be a form of Arabian nights theme.

"Decals" per se...

• Rust streaks down walls (decals), to make them look more used... this in geometry should be pretty tricky...
  • Decals for all items (Quad, MH, RA, YA, GA) for 5A, 5H maybe not... but could be nice. All these using their item colours by default.
  • Splotches on the floors, like water puddle derived discolourations on floors that have an open ceiling above them.
  • Light cover of sand and dust... to make things look older and dirtied. Again since there are no textures with alpha, this could be tricky to get done using geometry only.

Greenery

• Small and larger ferns.
  • Chopped wood tree trunks might be used to create palisades, for a more rural fencing in maps. Or simply heaps of wood as deco.

Items spawn pads

• Since these are also meshes, it would be neat to have an option to turn off the item spawn pads for items that are placed to spawn in the sky.
Edited by AEon

AEon I proposed the decals as well, what I suggested was maybe make them dependent on the environment, scorched surfaces at lava, bubbly decomposure at slime. 

However considering the art style now it wouldnt look too nice to contrast "realistic" erosion/weathering/dirt with everything else that is cleanly unicolored...

This could be solved by making the decals physical "deformations" instead. No idea how that would work technically though :)

Thinking further: materials right now are cosmetic, newborn teased already that there would be certain behaviours associated to wood for example. So what about ice that removes friction, wind volumes that push you, gravity mats that make you stick to them. Interesting would be if there'll be shader-like adjustments possible to create our own materials.

I am very much looking forward to 0.37... all the new goodies, i.e. meshes... whee ^_^

Gravity mats, and wind volumes would be nifty... getting whisked along by "wind" in transparent tubes, that move you physically through the map, instead of teleporting you... might be interesting.

Sorry, overlooked that part. Presently wondering when such brushes would be of use. Secret passages in walls that look solid? I noted that the fog material placed on brushes is a form of player clip, so having fog without the clipping would be useful.

IIRC, one would normally set the lack of collision in a shader. So a new material "no collision" might do the job in the future.

Anyway, it would be interesting to hear for what you would use brushes that do not have collision.

For me specifically: being able to trim the edges of stairs without actually turning them into ramps, or just being able to have a ramp which has the collision of a staircase. Creating simple doorframes can create an annoying edge that the player can get stuck on, making it necessary (imo) to add extra clipping to prevent that. It would be simpler to just turn off collision on the frame. You could argue to "just use a mesh" for this, but I would say that you don't need to use meshes for everything.

Basically, it would be useful if someone wanted to add brushwork/non-mesh detailing without the possibility of creating accidental movement tricks or annoying bumps on their map.

Not really a mesh but I would personally really like to have some kind of "Detail Brush", brushes without any collision.

​Yeah I was thinking about something like that. Like a no-clip kinda brush.

Edge trim meshes:

9EC43920FC7272E24ACBBC6616AE5EE2A50BB4C9 (1680×1028)

I noted in DP5, that the set of edge trims could use at least one more piece:

• A concave 45° edge trim mesh (see the highlighted meshes in the screenshot) would certainly make the author of DP5 happy I think. (I seem to remember one or two other maps that would have needed such a mesh.) What we presently have is a convex 45° edge trim as seen in BDM3.
  • It occurred to me since these edge trims are used on edges, that in a long tradition in mapping such edges would actually feature striped textures (yellow and black) to signal that "danger" lies beyond the point of the edge, usually a drop. So it might be nifty for all these trims to use not one but two materials... i.e. one would be black or grey main body, but the top flat and side flat parts might be yellow or red, to give the edges some signal/warning potential.
  • These edge trim meshes would probably be another good case for "intelligent meshes", letting you change their size via parameters. E.g. adapt the straight part in length.

For me specifically: being able to trim the edges of stairs without actually turning them into ramps, or just being able to have a ramp which has the collision of a staircase. Creating simple doorframes can create an annoying edge that the player can get stuck on, making it necessary (imo) to add extra clipping to prevent that. It would be simpler to just turn off collision on the frame. You could argue to "just use a mesh" for this, but I would say that you don't need to use meshes for everything.

Basically, it would be useful if someone wanted to add brushwork/non-mesh detailing without the possibility of creating accidental movement tricks or annoying bumps on their map.

​This would save so much time clipping detail stuff so that its flush to the player collision.

Is there a documentation on the format of meshes used in reflex? 

A while ago I made some geometrical shapes (icosahedron, dodecahedron) as brushes. But I quickly realized the limits of brushes (number of vertices/only convex shapes).

Id like to know the format of them. Maybe I could create some myself.