Sign in to follow this  
arkore

Suggestion: Make editor_nolight texture be more visual friendly.

I'd like to suggest that editor_nolight be something that has shading on it, and perhaps also have the word "nolight" on it as well (similar to the clip texture).

It's best to start mapping with editor_nolight first, similar to the strategy in quake3 mapping where you map with everything textured with 'caulk' first, then you texture the faces you want texturing afterwards.

Currently, editor_nolght is pure black, and has no shading or grid or anything.  So, it's hard to look at; difficulty to see your geometry.

---

As a temporary work-around, I'm wondering if I can copy dev_black.material file over top of editor_nolight.material file and it wouldn't break anything functionality-wise.  It would simply just be a difference in visual, seeing a gridded texture, rather seeing a black texture.  Would this work?

Trust me, I feel your pain having used nolight on every unseen face on cpm1, cpm3, xfdm2 and bdm3. The reason it doesn't have a texture right now is that (for example) if we made it bright green, it might actually add a bright green glow to surrounding walls via radiosity. The proper solution to this is to apply nolight/cull to most faces automatically and greatly reduce the amount that needs to be applied by hand. We may also be able to stop its texture adding to the lightmap, For now, I'm going to see if I can sneak in a subtle "black with dark grey stripes" pattern without shooterman getting angry at me.

Edit: Yes, the nolight texture does contribute to radiosity so don't go changing changing it. I've made a subtle one that doesn't contribute anything significant to the lighting calculations so if the rest of the team is okay with it, I'll post it here / add it to the next update.

Edit 2: Here you go. Replace the one in /base/internal/editor/textures. This will be included in the next update.

I cant wait for an automated process kinda ill at the thought of going in and applying nolight to all unseen surfaces, might start working on some tiny tiny maps. does nolight stop the light leaking in at the edges of a box or do I need to make the walls thicker as well?