Arthur

Making mouse sensitivity the same as other games.

So if I am playing TF2, Counter strike, Quake, Battlefield (apart from the new one), Cod, or Unreal Tournament, I have my sensitivity set the same (1.25 on a 800 dpi mouse). This gives me exactly the same cm/360 in all the games (differing fov doesn't effect it) and I find this makes my aim much must consistent as I go from game to game. In fact, the vast majority of FPS games use this scale, for example any games in the same engine as the games listed above have this scale.

So while I know it's kind of a picky think to point out, I brought a few quake/tf2/csgo plays over to try counter strike who have been confused why they can't just type in the number they always do, and get the exact sensitivity they have in other games.

I have seen a few people asking how to convert the number, but nobody suggesting it be changed, so I thought I would post here. I hope it's not a duplicate

http://www.mouse-sensitivity.com/

I am pretty shure not all the game you mentioned share the same sensitivity. I know that Unreal and Battlefield definitely have  different values that source/quake games.

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc324/k33fy/1000px-Quake_-_family_treesvg.png~original

Edited by NeuerGolf

It's an interessting topic, but does it really make sense to have the same sens in all games? When I  play CS I aim differently than in Reflex for example.. Weapons and movement (gamespeed) work differently across the games. I think it's the best to play with mouse acceleration (povohat driver). That way you can have low sens on slow mouse movements and high sens on fast movements.

I can understand the use of mouse accel for certain styles of play, but (especially if you are very flick heavy with your mouse movements) it doesn't make sense to unlearn all the muscle memory you've built up about "moving my hand like this makes my POV do this."

I think there's no argument about a player switching to mouse accel (and the same works the other way).
But should players learn to play with mouse accel on? I personally think it will take much, much longer for them to build up consistent aim. I also think, while it has the advantage of allowing players to use a relatively low sens and not be limited in mousepad space, accel can make macroscopic, quick flicks harder.
To somewhat objectively compare the advantages, examine the top players of different games: accel is clearly not a good choice in CS (basically no pros use accel, except swag and maybe one or two more). Accel is clearly a viable choice in quake-like games, but still not the prevalent one.

tl;dr personal preference

EDIT: And yes IMO it makes a huge difference to play with the same sens in different games (if you don't already have great aim, that is). It helps build consistency and accuracy.

Edited by klyph0rd

I can understand the use of mouse accel for certain styles of play, but (especially if you are very flick heavy with your mouse movements) it doesn't make sense to unlearn all the muscle memory you've built up about "moving my hand like this makes my POV do this."

I think there's no argument about a player switching to mouse accel (and the same works the other way).
But should players learn to play with mouse accel on? I personally think it will take much, much longer for them to build up consistent aim. I also think, while it has the advantage of allowing players to use a relatively low sens and not be limited in mousepad space, accel can make macroscopic, quick flicks harder.
To somewhat objectively compare the advantages, examine the top players of different games: accel is clearly not a good choice in CS (basically no pros use accel, except swag and maybe one or two more). Accel is clearly a viable choice in quake-like games, but still not the prevalent one.

tl;dr personal preference

EDIT: And yes IMO it makes a huge difference to play with the same sens in different games (if you don't already have great aim, that is). It helps build consistency and accuracy.

​When i switched to mouse accel it took me maybe a few hours to get my aim back. Unless you mess around with exponential acceleration it's fairly easy to get used to it. I've also played some CSGO with mouse accel and it works quite well there as well, allows you to have a very low sensitivity while still being able to turn.

It's an interessting topic, but does it really make sense to have the same sens in all games? When I  play CS I aim differently than in Reflex for example.. Weapons and movement (gamespeed) work differently across the games. I think it's the best to play with mouse acceleration (povohat driver). That way you can have low sens on slow mouse movements and high sens on fast movements.

​Generally I would agree, different sensitivities are optimal for different games. However I often play 2 or 3 fps games in succession of an evening, and find I can go from cs to reflex to tf2, I find in this case that aim is consistent in every game as i play. Where as when my sensitivities where different my aim would be considerably worse for a while as I got used to the new one.

So I think if you tend to play 1 game allot, then another game for allot, it's fine. But if like me you play a few hours of each, I think universal sensitivity does make sense (as long as it's not too far from optimal for each game)

I do like the idea of using the povohat driver, but as he is no longer supporting it, I think it might be more trouble than it's worth. Plus I think it is actually more of a hindrance than a blessing for cs.

I'm personally using this method, it's not super accurate but take like 2mins and if you really want you can spend 15mins and get it 100% same.
O and it's for Overwatch on this video but can be used for all games.

Here's a really crazy out-there idea:

Since everyone is going to be converting their sensitivity from other games using a sensitivity calculator like the one mentioned above...
Why not put a sensitivity calculator in the settings menu, the advanced options are already pretty complex so why not just add a couple of fields for 'Mouse DPI' and 'Desired CM/360' and maybe even one for 'Equivalent Quake Sensitivity'?

You can do it Reflex Devs! be the first game to actually use _UNITS_ rather than opaque arbitrary values for setting mouse sensitivity, I believe in you!

You may have noticed this thread is over 8 months old, and mouse optimization has taken quite a few steps since then. I don't have the look of the current mouse options screen in my head, but I mean to remember that it's pretty good. Nice graph of degrees turned over m/s and everything.