arnold

Map names?

So 'cpmx' are from CPM games, right right.

tchtX? dpX? bdmX?

Do they have longhand titles or is just arbitrary letters?

In the full release will map names be more fleshed out? It can be a little tough to remember the diff between all the dp's and thct's. Perhaps in the final copy have a UI option when changing maps with a thumbnail?

Cheers -

Map names are usually prefixed by some short string of characters related to the map maker's name.

For example, thc comes from "tehace," the maker of those maps (and I believe the t is short for "tournament"). Likewise, dp refers to "def," another map maker of the community.

Most maps actually do have real titles, but everyone chooses not to use them for brevity and clarity -- I say clarity because there is sometimes equivocation when referring to a map by it's full name (simply because many titles for maps have been used over the course of the past 20 years this genre has been around for).

Map names are entirely up to the author, and most maps are user created, not official. dpX are maps made by Def, TCH maps by Tehace. That's a pretty common nomenclature, taking a letter or two out of your name and then adding a number or a dm. I'm not a fan, I wish people would just use real words and names. In TFC, FF, TF2, all the counter strikes, people use real names, and in some cases prefix them with the game mode, cp_badlands, de_dust. I like that way more, seems to be much easier to remember.

EDIT: Also FU klyph0rd

Edited by FDA
fu klyph0rd

Definitely agree with FDA that the map nomenclature based off a mode prefix followed by a unique name is great in other games, but it doesn't immediately seem like a great option for this genre, mainly because maps are often played in multiple game modes.

Definitely agree with FDA that the map nomenclature based off a mode prefix followed by a unique name is great in other games, but it doesn't immediately seem like a great option for this genre, mainly because maps are often played in multiple game modes.

​ I suppose larger maps do get played across a few different game types, FFA, TDM, ATDM. Could perhaps adopt a suggested player pool prefix. Duel maps could be 1v-map, or maybe even du-map, larger maps for 2v-map 3v-map. All in all Idk if the prefix is really needed, they were rarely used in TFC. Just having sensible words rather than a jumble of letters would be nice imo.

​Well.. look at de_dust2 - It's used in DM and the normal mode of CSGO, however it keeps the name.

I personally don't like the current map name style we have in Reflex. 

I still haven't memorized the name of one map in Reflex...

But I could name a tonne from CSGO ( dust2, train, inferno, cache, mirage etc ) and Quake Live ( aerowalk, campgrounds, toxicity etc )

​Well.. look at de_dust2 - It's used in DM and the normal mode of CSGO, however it keeps the name.
I personally don't like the current map name style we have in Reflex. 

I still haven't memorized the name of one map in Reflex...

But I could name a tonne from CSGO ( dust2, train, inferno, cache, mirage etc ) and Quake Live ( aerowalk, campgrounds, toxicity etc )

​Map names are normally based on the theme of the map. In Reflex, maps are usually created with gameplay in mind first, not a theme. If the map is played a lot, and players consider is a good map, the map-maker will go back to the map and add a theme (which requires a ton of work!).

However, when you callvote map <mapname> in console, I would much rather type in a few letters and numbers than type in a really long name.

Edit: I like the thumbnail idea, and I'm sure they've already thought of this. I'm assuming that we will have loading screens with a screenshot of the map displayed on them sometime in the future and that the end-game camera will be used for the screenshot.

Edited by LoNeZiLLa

However, when you callvote map <mapname> in console, I would much rather type in a few letters and numbers than type in a really long name.

Yeah 'de_dust2' is like typing an essay. I don't know how people can handle strafe-jumping but can't type a short english word.

CTF_ = Capture the flag.
DL_ = Duel.
AR_ = Arena.

TDM and DM fall under all of them.

That's what I would like to see.

For any newcomers to the game, it's easier to remember "CTF_Castle" than it is "TKX_CTFDM34"

C

CTF_ = Capture the flag.
DL_ = Duel.
AR_ = Arena.

TDM and DM fall under all of them.

That's what I would like to see.

For any newcomers to the game, it's easier to remember "CTF_Castle" than it is "TKX_CTFDM34"

C

Ew, putting the game mode in the map name is redundant data. Please no.

Ew, putting the game mode in the map name is redundant data. Please no.

​That's the dumbest thing I've ever read. How is it redundant, when no other part of the map name explains the gamemode? 

Perhaps you know something that the designers of the most popular FPS games don't.

​That's the dumbest thing I've ever read. How is it redundant, when no other part of the map name explains the gamemode? ​

<author><mode><number>

thcdm13 - Tehace Deathmatch 13 (made for FFA/DM/1v1)

thct7 - Tehace Tourney 7 (explicitly made for 1v1)

Edited by Bjarke

Maybe have some entity in each map where you can enter some mapname and the gamemode. For example:  filename: cpm22  mapname (alias): Aerowalk gamemode:  1v1... The gamemode should be set via dropdown-menu (1v1, A, CTF, DM, R)... Filename should only be a display field. Gamemode could also be set automaticly depending on which entities exist in the map. This way it would be  possible to display short and long name on generated loadingscreens. Maybe add author aswell.

do it like its always been done: mapmaker+mode+increment+letterincrement

thc maps are named right, bdm3 is also right. something went wrong with dp maps, but whatever.

cpm maps are not originally named that way, atleast cpm22 isnt.

$ sha1sum filename.map

callvote map 717D3638EB824955347DD84053A7190F6482490FF12E46E8C8232C5D00FB2DC5

Maybe we can keep the map codes (i wouldn't really call them names) for the console stuff and use proper names when we get better game menus (gui) for selecting/voting and picks/drops

​I was working on a callvote widget a while ago but got sidetracked, I think pestilence had one semi working at one point.