Blindlight

Blind's Movement Maps (with videos and tips)

I made this thread to compile the movement maps I'm working on. First map is based on a map by cheZDa and Mew () who I asked for permission to repost, taking the 1st level of the freestyle course as a foundation and building it up a lot with color and some basic lights (although I'd like to perfect the lighting more but I have a bad GPU so others could tackle that if they wanted).

movehaus1-parkour

cBBQrhV.png

(download) current version: 1.0

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9r8e5iru84FY2xXVlUzeWhSdDA/

The map is based on elemental shapes inspired by the geometry that cheZDa chose for the first level: stairs, boxes, ramps, armatures. elemental colors tag the shapes for recognition, hopefully forming a sort of visual language for movement in the player's mind with which they can compose sentences and paragraphs of movement. Titled movehaus after the bauhaus/kandinsky aesthetic and the MOVE map taken as inspiration.

Of course people wanted to play FFA on it, so it forked into an FFA version, movehaus1-dm, which I am still working on. The twist for FFA is 2 units of lava covering the floor, such that you wont take damage as long as you are always hopping through the lava and don't stop or run into anything or get knocked down. 

bldf1

GEJgbuc.png

new strafe map, gonna start cranking these out very fast. Trying to make them for new-ish people, i.e. not too hard but not too easy, should take some work and be a way to improve.

http://www.reflexfps.net/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=81

bldf2

JtDRoiy.png

In this one, you'll have to combine strafe jumping, bunny hopping, and double jump. Note that when changing from a strafe jump to a bunny hop turn, if you let go of strafe and hold only W to start the turn, then switch to strafe to make a sharper turn you might find transition easier and lose less speed; using only W will always conserve your speed coming out of a strafe but you can't turn as sharply with it or gain speed.

(video)

(download) http://www.reflexfps.net/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=96

bldf3

Pco6u68.png

Another map combining strafejumping, bunnyhopping, doublejumps, and ramps. Experimenting with multiple routes and possible shortcuts for higher skill levels, although it's still awkward trying to build outside my own skill with these minimal maps, an interesting learning process.

(video)  

(download) https://www.dropbox.com/s/ame3ybo5hza1zok/bldf3.map?dl=0

bldf4

rjUXr9p.png

A tower map, 2 checkpoints on the way up, good luck!

(video) 

(download) http://www.reflexfps.net/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=106

yeah I think you hit the nail on the head with that term. parkour which ppl are used to from various things like mirrors edge or youtube vids, will be an easy way to mainstream the concept of tricking or defrag and I wouldn't mind if the tricking modes in reflex used that word.

new strafe map, gonna start cranking these out very fast. Trying to make them for new-ish people, i.e. not too hard but not too easy, should take some work and be a way to improve.

GEJgbuc.png

bldf1

Sweet and seemingly simple, but is it possible to get a quick walkthrough vid? I can't get the air control down for the transfer to the next left after the strafe pads and I can't tell what I'm doing wrong.

yeah I will try to record one with keypresses but my encoding quality is rly bad so i dunno if youll be able to see them. when you hit the ramp try turning with only left strafe first, then forward+leftstrafe while turning the mouse to airstrafe after youve turned around to keep gaining speed while you're moving straight forward. that way you carry the accel from the turn through to the straightaway. once you get used to it it's easy to overreach the pads on this map so I think it might get frustrating eventually going too far, that's when you know its time to find something harder maybe :)

Thanks for the tip! Yeah, I'm good at strafing so with half beat I have to stop myself from overshooting the strafe pads, but coming over from QL where air control is pretty much non-existant, so I've never had to practice it. I think my problem is trying to turn with forward+left at first instead of just left. I just haven't gotten my head around which way to turn yet. I made it to the end of the top row now and just can't quite hit the ramp jump to the portal.

Cool map! +1 for more short practice maps like this.

heres a short vid, hope the keypresses are visible. notice I only swap sides every other pad which I think is easier, but you can swap sides each jump as well, hell im sure some people could do this backwards. I rly dont have the best movement so don't analyse it too much but the main point is when to use W+strafe and when to use only strafe I think, and also double jumping into the ramps. audio is off-sync sry bout that

This is my first attempt at strafe jumping, so I'm not getting very far just yet. I feel like one of the main problems is my initial circle jump (though I doubt my strafing and bunnyhopping is perfect either).

How much speed should my circle jump give me?

My record so far was getting to the second to last platform of the first straight run.

the first jump matters but if you can get that far the issue is probably more about accelerating in the subsequent jumps. this is a good guide: 

it's just a motion that takes time to put into muscle memory, a quick twitch when changing sides, followed by slow drag which is what adds speed, if you get the twitch but no small motion after then you wont be gaining speed, if you do it well you will gain speed almost constantly and the speedometer wont stop going up between jumps. at the end of the vid the person is switching sides each jump, but you can hold the same side for two jumps which I think it easier and still stay mostly in a straight line. in actual play you may end up using this style of gaining speed less than bunnyhopping with the strafe keys but it's very useful and being able to switch between strafe jumping on straightaways, and bunny hopping when turning means you will never have to stop accelerating. that's what this map is: combining two kinds of acceleration in the air: strafe strafe strafe, air turn, strafe strafe strafe, air turn

This is my first attempt at strafe jumping, so I'm not getting very far just yet. I feel like one of the main problems is my initial circle jump (though I doubt my strafing and bunnyhopping is perfect either).

How much speed should my circle jump give me?

My record so far was getting to the second to last platform of the first straight run.

My initial CJ gets me around 520ups. By the end of the pads I'm doing around 1000ups, but that's slowing myself down a bit because if I hit the third to last pad or so at 850+ I'll overshoot the next one.

If you can make it to the third pad or so consistently, your initial CJ is probably fine and Blindlight is right that you're not gaining enough speed on your strafe jumps. The amount you need to turn your mouse to gain momentum increases the faster you're going, and in Reflex you gain speed a lot faster than in vq3 and QL, so experiment with different angles as you jump and watch the speed graph to see how you're doing. The place I find you lose the most speed in full beat strafe jumping (where you go left, right, left, right, left, right) is the transition from side to side, because there's a broader and broader area through the middle of your mouse movement that you're not gaining speed. The movement has to be pretty crisp, and again you can watch your speed meter to see if there's a lag in each jump where you stop gaining speed. If you time it just right your speed doesn't jump up, it just steadily increases. Half beat strafing (left left, right right, left left, right right) can help with this, because you need the full mouse movement on the first jump, but only a smaller correction on the second one, then a full snap to the other side, and a small correction.

I hope all this makes sense? You'll find yourself overshooting the pads in no time, and movement in other fpses will start to feel unbearably slow.

The initial circle jump is definately part of the problem then, seems more like 470 ups for me.

Your post definately makes sense though! Both Blindlights and Stormcrows. I'm going to keep trying based on your advice ;)

Best way to jump and turn from the ramp is letting go of forward during the time you turn. Start turning with A/D slightly after you've jumped off the ramp (I recommend you hit the ramp in straight as possible angle), turn in air until you're facing towards the upper platforms and then start pressing forward again. That way you should save some of that speed and not lose it all on the ramp. Hope that makes sense :P

Look up video that include the camping gaz hud from Quake 3.  It's a much better way to visualize mouse angles and how the angles increase when you gain speed.  The lines in the middle of the hud are awesome for muscle memory.  If you've never seen the hud then you'll probably not understand what the bars are telling you.  You just have to use it to see what it's about. 

Camping Gaz hud is the best training tool for learning how to strafe jump that I've ever seen.  Combine it with training maps to get the basics down then go do some runs in defrag maps.  It will reduce your learning curve to the point you'll double your personal best speeds in no time. 

Unfortunately Camping Gaz hud is not currently available in Reflex so what you can do in the mean time is go play Quake 3 defrag to get you used to CPM movement and use the hud.  Hopefully Camping Gaz hud will be available as a console option in a future Relfex Defrag mod.  Till then get to training.

Another good strafe tip:

As seen in the video above, the acceleration stops for brief moment every time you switch sides with the mouse. (This is the same for Reflex as well and can be seen in Blindlight's video too) There will be less pause in acceleration the faster you flick your mouse to the other side, how well you perform this will have significant difference in defrag runs that primarily depend on strafe jumping.

ok here's today's excercise:

bldf2

JtDRoiy.png

In this one, you'll have to combine strafe jumping, bunny hopping, and double jump. Note that when changing from a strafe jump to a bunny hop turn, if you let go of strafe and hold only W to start the turn, then switch to strafe to make a sharper turn you might find transition easier and lose less speed; using only W will always conserve your speed coming out of a strafe but you can't turn as sharply with it or gain speed.

From now on in my maps, I'm also going to try and include multiple routes at different difficulties to avoid discouragement and hopefully allow some incremental improvement. I'm still staying within my own skill level for the hard routes, which I hope is low enough to be a do-able challenge for newcomers. I think experienced people will probably find themselves overshooting the platforms once again, but I guess speed-checking is a skill as well.. or you could do it backwards or whatever.

made a video for this one too but I forgot keypresses: 

just remember if you  need more speed to reach a plat you need to either use only A or D and gain it while turning, or WA / WD and gain it in a straight line / diagonal. just experiment with different combinations and transitions between the two until you get the appropriate speed for the section.

bldf2.map

I love these maps Blindlight! Keep them coming!

Just made it over the lower route in the beginning over bldf2 in a lot of tries. Now I need to do the double jumps. This is fun and exactly the right level for a newb like me, thank you.

bldf3

Pco6u68.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ame3ybo5hza1zok/bldf3.map?dl=0

another map combining strafing, bunnyhopping, doublejumps, and ramps. Experimenting with multiple routes and possible shortcuts for higher skill levels, although it's still a bit awkward trying to build outside my own skill with these minimal maps, an interesting learning process.

bldf3.map

here's a video of bldf4 and some hints at shortcuts. let me know if there are any spots driving you nuts, along with the colors I think this might send a few to the nuthouse ;). was thinking about making a few changes and making an extended version in a less intense color scheme. Shortcut 2 I was only able to do a few times and now I can't do it haha, let me know if you manage it, I think the last time I did it I didn't have the light in the way there, you have to go up the seam of the 2 ramps I think and not on the diagonals.

GfBSGTR.png

ogA3HRP.png

JZqaihx.png