Sign in to follow this  
Tac

CTF_Bazinga

Hello,

I'm far from being a ctf expert but I wanted to give it a try since the mode will be released soon (or at least I hope) so I've built : ctf_Bazinga

I've uploaded it on ReflexFiles (http://reflexfiles.com/file/437) so you can help me to improve it. Moreover, your answers may help other ctf beginner mappers.

Short presentation : 3v3-4v4 map. Very open bases, close middle medium size, each team got ; 1RA, 2YA, 1MH, 1 x each weapon. There is a carnage at the center.

My concerns and global questions :

- Is there enough health/armor ? Should I look at the most played quake ctf map and just input the same number, or is it more map related ?

- The map is too small for a 4v4 ? To big for a 3v3 ? how to define the team size ?

- all weapons ? Is it necessary ?

Of course, I think the best way to get my answers is to try it on the field but maybe there are some basic rules to follow. I'm sure there will be a guide soon enough anyway.

Thank you for your comments!

Tac

Hello, took a fairly quick look since no one was around to play ctf with
To answer some of your questions

- Is there enough health/armor ? Should I look at the most played quake ctf map and just input the same number, or is it more map related ?

Health seems to be enough (quite an amount of 25s, but i suppose thats fine when you can fall out of the map :D - Tho i would say the RA is a bit much, especially since its halfway inside the bases - an idea i had here would be replacing the RAs with green armors and placing a ra instead of the 50 in mid - would promote mid control more as well.

- The map is too small for a 4v4 ? To big for a 3v3 ? how to define the team size ?​

Given the amount of stack in base i would say 4v4 could end of being hard to play - tough defense/both flags just camping in base. But playersize is hard to tell without playing tbh.
​​​

- all weapons ? Is it necessary

I like most of the weapon placements, besides the ion cannon - ion cannon is a strong defense weapon - and right now you have to go very far out of position to reach it. Another note is that rocketlaunchers might feel a bit scarce, could consider either adding one to mid or to back of each base​, personally lean towards putting one in mid.

​I like the general theme with the space bases and the flag position seems pretty good
also you should probably prevent people from getting ontop the map ;)

Looking good so far!​​

Health seems to be enough (quite an amount of 25s, but i suppose thats fine when you can fall out of the map :D - Tho i would say the RA is a bit much, especially since its halfway inside the bases - an idea i had here would be replacing the RAs with green armors and placing a ra instead of the 50 in mid - would promote mid control more as well.

​RA was initially exactly where you want it to be. All was about 1 or 2 RA. I agree with the mid control.

I like most of the weapon placements, besides the ion cannon - ion cannon is a strong defense weapon - and right now you have to go very far out of position to reach it.

​Indeed, but as the base is very open, I think Bolt is already strong on the map. If you are defending on the flag plateform, ion + bolt sound just undefeatable. Maybe I'm wrong.

Another note is that rocketlaunchers might feel a bit scarce, could consider either adding one to mid or to back of each base​, personally lean towards putting one in mid.

​Yeah, I hesitated a lot : 1 or 2 RL. I will maybe swap RL and GR position, and add a RL at the bottom center. I think it could work.

also you should probably prevent people from getting ontop the map

;)

​Huhu, polishing is required : ) The map is not playable at the moment anyway and I wait for more feedbacks : )

Thank you for these answers !

I don't really like or play CTF but did build two CTF maps in my time... some thoughts that might be of use:

• It's a space map... woha... not quite sure, but where space CTF maps not generally liked less (e.g. in Q3A)? If so it might make things slightly more difficult to get right on the first CTF map.
  • The bases are very open, I would imagine one railgun player would not have much trouble defending the base alone. It might be a good idea to add some more cover, e.g. glass windows with full clip, to let the defenders see attacker, but not necessarily rail them right off the map.
  • I fell out of the map while exploring quite a few times, and would imagine that a player returning with the flag, getting catapulted out of the map into space by splash damage would be less than amused. I'd suggest using the black "fence" meshes, all around the paths and using player clip (maybe even full clip on them) to keep the players in the map more.
  • Presently there are three central paths to get from one base to another (on 3 levels), that makes them easier to balance, since they are pretty much the same length, but you might like to try two such paths only, and a "dangerous" outside path that could e.g. use jumppads (acceleration pads in this case actually) to add more variety.
  • On size: at first I thought the map was rather large, but when I started strafe jumping, you really can tear through the central hub of the map. So size should be OK. Should there be any trick-jump options I did not look for, the players may be even faster. Personally I'd like to see some "obvious" double- or tripple-jump options in the central area (to quickly change between the levels) and possibly also in the bases, to add additional navigation venues.

Hope that helps a bit.

Edited by AEon

It might be a good idea to add some more cover, e.g. glass windows with full clip, to let the defenders see attacker, but not necessarily rail them right off the map.

​Need to see if it could work but yeah, it seems interesting.

Presently there are three central paths to get from one base to another (on 3 levels), that makes them easier to balance, since they are pretty much the same length, but you might like to try two such paths only, and a "dangerous" outside path that could e.g. use jumppads (acceleration pads in this case actually) to add more variety.

​At the beginning, I didn't want to have acceleration jumpers because it seems to be a really easy way to leave the ennemy base. But the "dangerous outside path, where you can fall if you get shot or if you simply fail" sounds to fit with the map logic and can break the mid linearity.

Thank you : )

Edited by Tac

I hope someone will write a small post that describes a list of things to add for CTF maps...

• Where are the flags entities.
  • How to properly use red and blue player spawns.
  • A tip on team-related colour material and how to use that.

And the like...