newborn

Reflex 0.37.0 - Mostly eggplant

I was worried about the movement when I heard you guys talking about it in the stream. Didn't end up being that bad though, still definitely a downgrade imo. I'm really not sure, but I think there was talk about it not being finished when you did the preview? So is this sort of an interval, or where you want to see it end up?

I think the players with good rail will destroy even harder in duel now!

​It's easier to hit with everything now, not just rail. Maybe it will be harder to rush someone, but that's not necessarily a bad thing imo.

New movement is fine to be honest, just gotta get used to it. Once you go back to .36 you realize just how OP it was.

​I dont got this arguement, can aim be OP aswell? The movement is just a skill that the player expresses right?

Or are you trolling? :o

Edited by pUlseEater

So.. First contact rage is over.. I think I got slightly used to it. Changed fov to 95 and increased crosshair size.. It's somewhat playable now. I still don't like it, but I guess it's still going to get tweaked anyway. Personally I think that you have too much control on ground compared to in the air now.. and it seems like you reduced boltrifle reload time.. I liked that. reflex is so addicting...

Edited by furyaxsfigkjhn

I hadn't played in a couple months so I didn't really notice the movement change at first. Once I got warmed up I felt pretty comfortable moving around the map. I think its okay. Can't say the same for race maps and such so I guess it'll have to be an adjustment for some players. Overall CTF felt really good aside from performance issues with being outside on the map.

Also the new visibility options were nice. I never liked the outlines that much but I need to play around with it more.

Edited by SPLAT

The increased player height makes it even harder to jump onto peoples heads and no ax, 0/10.

That aside... CTF is awesome and new map looks beautiful, just need crouching and some pain sounds so I can hear my robotmans scream in pain when being burnanated by an ion beam - patch .38? hype hype hype?

Edit: also forgot to mention, new carnage looks totally sick.

Edited by chronokun
stuff

Hm is there a reason why the movement was changed at all? Imvho it was much more fun before, it was the speed of the game I loved and I heard a LOT of people in the summer talking about how awesome ctf was gonna be with that movement! 

I think the players with good rail will destroy even harder in duel now!

Maybe Im wrong and just need to adapt tho :D

​I'm wondering a bit about why it was changed too, I always thought if there was anything about the movement that needed nerfing it would be the double/triple/teleporter/ceiling/whatever jumps and the crazy height you can gain from these things more than the speed/accel but that said I don't really mind the new movement much anyway, only things that really bug me about reflex movement are trying to tell where the *actual* surface of things are now the maps are getting filled with meshes and invisible clip brushes and *still* trying to have double/triple/teleporter/ceiling/whatever timer based jumping not feel totally unnatural lol, guess I just need more practice =)

Primarily, the movement is a result of testing the gravity changes. For now, I'm happy with how the gravity is feeling. I'm enjoying the extra midairs, I'm liking how it's easier to "read" what's going on when a player is airbourne etc.

But of course, changing gravity (like changing anything), requires the entire movement system to be rebalanced. If it was left untouched, the game would have been as noticeably faster than 0.36 with previously difficult jumps becoming trivial (for example, you could circlejump to the CPM22 RA with very little effort and the extra air time gave extra acceleration etc).

Not only would this have been generally worse for the game overall, it would have instantly ruined CTF for everyone except the faster player in the server. I'll be tweaking values closer to what they were in 36 for 37.2 (although I really, really don't have the time and kind of wanted to sleep).

I may even just revert it entirely to 0.36 values and stop making any kind of public changes to the movement until the entire system is considered "done" (including ramp fixes, wall clipping, flag drag, crouching, etc). To say that will be disappointing is an understatement, but the hostility about any kind of changes unfortunately make this look like the right thing to do.

Primarily, the movement is a result of testing the gravity changes. For now, I'm happy with how the gravity is feeling. I'm enjoying the extra midairs, I'm liking how it's easier to "read" what's going on when a player is airbourne etc.

But of course, changing gravity (like changing anything), requires the entire movement system to be rebalanced. If it was left untouched, the game would have been as noticeably faster than 0.36 with previously difficult jumps becoming trivial (for example, you could circlejump to the CPM22 RA with very little effort and the extra air time gave extra acceleration etc).

Not only would this have been generally worse for the game overall, it would have instantly ruined CTF for everyone except the faster player in the server. I'll be tweaking values closer to what they were in 36 for 37.2 (although I really, really don't have the time and kind of wanted to sleep).

I may even just revert it entirely to 0.36 values and stop making any kind of public changes to the movement until the entire system is considered "done" (including ramp fixes, wall clipping, flag drag, crouching, etc). To say that will be disappointing is an understatement, but the hostility about any kind of changes unfortunately make this look like the right thing to do.

Not only will it ruin CTF, but it will ruin the other gametypes as well. The new movement has changed the gameplay in very positive ways. If you look at the gameplay from an unbiased and logical POV, every change makes absolute sense.

Reverting it will be disappointing to say the least.

Newborn, Shooter, Electro, please get some rest, let everyone play the game for a few days before you make your decision. If you end up wanting to change the movement, just increase the amount of degrees a player can corner by a few.

Please, do NOT revert it.

Not only will it ruin CTF, but it will ruin the other gametypes as well. The new movement has changed the gameplay in very positive ways. If you look at the gameplay from an unbiased and logical POV, every change makes absolute sense.

Reverting it will be disappointing to say the least.

Newborn, Shooter, Electro, please get some rest, let everyone play the game for a few days before you make your decision. If you end up wanting to change the movement, just increase the amount of degrees a player can corner by a few.

Please, do NOT revert it.

yeah, after thinking about it a bit and spending some more time playing ctf, the movement changes seem to be for the best. of course it still *feels* worse just jumping around and racing and stuff imo but the improvements to overall gameplay outweigh that and I think with time to adjust it will feel less like a limitation and more like a challenge anyway.

Added light overrides to effects, so it's now easier to make lighting fit correctly in custom maps.

Generally, just wondering, would a full .light compile between 0.36.4 and 0.37.1 be required? Or are the above pretty much dynamic / real-time engine updates?

As a new player I think the new movement is frustrating and irritating compared to the movement before - it was more fun, responsive, dunno just felt great tbh. I don't like the new, and i don't see the reason why to change it..

to bad, hope you change it back someway.

Edited by 9toydome

The game is still in development.... Changes will be made, deal with it.

5 Nov 2014:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FjBUPrqoNE

23 Oct 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRXnLhI4STE

"I have not failed 1,000 times.  I have
successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."

Every change is a step in the right direction. Otherwise the light bulb wouldn't never been invented

"I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."

Every change is a step in the right direction. Otherwise the light bulb wouldn't never been invented

Yes, we are inventing the lightbulb, perfect comparison. btw old game looks better

Wasn't part of the appeal of early CPM that arQon didn't give a fuck and changed and tweaked things every other week? I wasn't around back then (too busy rekking kids in the sandbox), but that's what I've heard from old schoolers. I'd personally enjoy a game that's different every month more than a game that stays the same to appease some vocal minority.

Edited by AMIPILL

my thoughts on .37 after playing about 8-10h:

pro:

- runs smoth on my machine. no technical problems here.

- looks beautiful.

- I love the movement. For me as a non-pro player, I can do things now in the race-maps I could not do before. While running, jumping and flighing I feel like a hero.

- great feature with that colour changing in the map when changing team/enemy colours!

- ctf-monolith is awesome. thanks to the mapping team!

con:

- not so easy to recognize, who has the carnage, team or enemy (have to get used to it).

- missing enemy outlines (have to get used to it)

- missing score points in ctf

Verdict:

The new update is a big step into the right direction. The movement is the big discussion now, but it takes Reflex more to be Reflex and not "CPMA 2.0". Hope to see more changes like this in the future (unless everybody still don't wants change and still wants to see the same 10 ppl in the tournaments over and over again).

Thank you, Turbo Pixels!

It is like just 1 day after the release, so I expect every player to try it for more than just 5 min and I expext the developers to stay with their desicions more than 2 days.

A few thoughts having played a bit

• Not so sure about the movement, it's a bit floaty and doesn't feel like you're in control in the same way
  • Knockback is better. A quad rocket puts the enemy into the skybox like it should
  • Quad is OP, and the effect makes it hard to see which team has it. The model itself is black, and the flames are not quite the team colours, i.e. a red player is black with yellow flames
  • Monolith is the best map
  • Scoreboard shows +2 or something instead of 4-2. No idea why and it's less informative
  • Servers are crashing left, right and centre and hit detection seems to be off
  • I don't think there needs to be ready-up in ctf unless it's a tournament. A pub game should just start otherwise the server just plays in warmup forever, defeating the point of a pickup-based game
  • The thing where you can't score unless you flag is at base means a lot of time just standing around hoping your team gets the flag back. You could be there for minutes
  • Viewmodels are huge. Is there a way to turn them down? They're in the way of my armour count
  • Now there are team colours surely the teams could be named red/blue instead of alpha/zeta