Keter

Artificial Announcers for Reflex Robots (CTF VOICE OVER)

Voice pack for CTF

DOWNLOAD (update 16 NOV)

TEST RELEASE (update 23 NOV)

What this does: "Your team has the enemy flag" .. "Enemy flag returned" .. (you get the idea).

Why: ordinarily Reflex uses only a single sound file for flag steals and return (ctf_taken.wav and ctf_returned.wav) -- meaning that replacement of these files is not sufficient for distinct team/enemy audio. To correct this, I spent the past couple of days creating this widget.

I have provided 2 different sound packs with the widget. You can select the one that you think sounds the best in the widget option screen (make sure you click "visible" on the widget screen or it won't work).

Also adjustable on the option screen are the volume (in case it is too quiet for you) and delay. This delay I added because simultaneity of events in CTF is a somewhat common occurrence (e.g. you have the flag and are sitting on your capture point, waiting for your team flag to be returned -- as soon as it does, you score a capture). Without a delay, this simultaneity would cause multiple voices to be played at the same time.

Delay is in seconds. I thought that 1.5 was a good value. If you have trouble keeping track of the voice during simultaneous events, try increasing the delay. Or decrease it if you don't mind overlapping voices.

The widget and its voices should be stored in reflexfps/base/internal/ui/VOwidget

One concern: the default ctf_capture_friendly.wav (in internal/effects/ctf/) seemed too loud when voices are used. You can try replacing it with a quieter sound. I used the enemy capture sound (ctf_capture_enemy.wav), that one works well.

LET ME KNOW if there are any issues.

Thanks to Mary for providing us with the voices.

Concern (2): I found the GameMessages widget to be a particularly annoying script. Indeed, most of the arena players I know have this one turned off, since the countdown message interferes with visibility (in arena mode, you typically fire a shot as soon as the round begins). Ironically, I only discovered that the GameMessages widget had been updated for CTF after I had begun writing the voiceover script, since I had it disabled.

A better solution than turning it off is to reposition it. By default, you cannot do this. Why? I don't know, and I don't see any good reason why not.

To fix this, open it: reflexfps/base/internal/ui/widgets/GameMessages.lua

Then edit the 16th line:

canPosition = false

change it to:

-- canPosition = false

(so that it is commented out)

Now you can go into its widget option screen and move it around. I set my Y offset to 450, that places it near the bottom of the screen, just above the health/ammo. That will allow you to still receive CTF event messages without having them obstruct your view.

I updated the widget (click that big download link at the top of this thread):

- added countdown for match/round start = "three" ... "two" ... "one" ===== this is quite useful for people who either disabled the GameMessages widget or moved it from the centre of the screen to the periphery. Works great for arena mode.

- added in widget options checkboxes to enable/disable the voice for countdown event or CTF event (if you only want to hear one or the other, not both)

- slightly more efficient code

-----

I did have a "flag dropped" announcement when I first wrote the widget, but I decided to remove it. I found it unhelpful because generally the flag is retaken/returned soon after a drop. In frantic situations where the flag is taken then dropped then returned then taken again then dropped again then returned again then the enemy scores -- all in the space of 2.5 seconds -- having the drop announcement causes too much noise and it causes the more important messages to be delayed.

Widget updated:

- on Eldrek's request: I added an option that allows you to type the name of any additional voicepack == so you no longer need to overwrite existing packs. This appears to be the only way to support extra content. As far as I can tell, it is not possible to make a script that automatically reads the names of the directories in internal .. they must be manually specified.

- Added new sound = player-hasflag "You have the enemy flag" == not just for an ego boost, it's for those situations where both you and a teammate dive for the flag at the same time. This announcement resolves confusion about who got it.

I took a pass at doing some simple voiceovers with simple effects.  I'm not exact a sound guru, but any feedback is welcome.

Edit: to install, replace the contents of the male folder with my files. Overwrite the .wav files that come with the addon.

​I'm pretty handy with audio. Mainly music but I'd love to have a mess around with these if you don't mind.

Have at it. I don't think I have the unmodified versions, but I could give it another pass if you want to start fresh. 

​The processing is fine as a starting point. The word flow seemed a little off on some of them but let's see if I can get them sounding cool before going to the effort of recording anything over. I can always save the effects chains and then apply the same processing to anything else. :)

Kovaak: I originally tested a "fight" announcement when I added the countdown but decided against including it - I found it to be an interference for certain situations. (e.g.) Starting a duel on cpm22, your opponent spawns on red armour - the sound of the pickup potentially being drowned out by the announcement.

Maybe I'll re-add it but with an option to disable it. Sure there's a lot of other announcements that could be added: "you win" "your team has taken the lead" "scores are tied" .. probably even some cosmetic announcements such as "impressive" and "excellent".

I will need to make up a list of announcements before I do anything more. Suggestions welcome.

Didn't spend too long on them but here they are...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xvifwuioysw1l65/kovaak-m0sley.rar?dl=0

They sound a little bit more evil and robotic now. Tried to get the metallic percussive sounds off the ends as best I could too.​

No offense, but they don't sound "evil" or "robotic" at all. Also: it doesn't make much sense to try and make them more evil/robotic in the first place, simply because the source material isn't suited for it.

No offense, but they don't sound "evil" or "robotic" at all. Also: it doesn't make much sense to try and make them more evil/robotic in the first place, simply because the source material isn't suited for it.

​I couldn't do too much without a metallic sound coming out on the high end and didn't want to distort.

I think they definitely sound a bit meaner and less human but fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion.

Over the past few days I worked on a test release for a new version. Link is at the top of this thread.

Contains 12 new announcements:

- Match time warnings for: five minutes left and one minute left. Really helpful for duels especially. No longer will you have the thought "it's over already??"

- Overtime announcement. Works for repeated overtimes also (2x, 3x, etc.)

- Start game and end game: "fight!", "run!", "you win/lose", "your team wins/loses"

- FFA and 1v1 lead announcements: "you are tied for the lead", "you have taken/lost the lead"

I guess this covers most of what needs to be announced. If I can think of anything else I'll add it.

=====

A test release, because there are a few minor issues. These occur for specs (everything seems to be fine if you are in-game).

The lead announcements have been disabled for specs (until I figure out how to fix) - since the widget has to keep track of scores, changing the player that you are speccing means that the scores change ..

If you connect to a server where a match is already in progress, you'll hear a bunch of announcements for whatever you would have heard if you were there from the beginning.

- in that situation, the five minute warning message plays even if it's not at the five minute mark yet. I don't know why that happens.