Sign in to follow this  
chronokun

Race checkpoints for existing maps?

I was wondering if anyone has put race checkpoints into their regular ffa/dual/ctf/whatever maps?

Reflex has had race mode for a while now but it seems like every race server is just stacked up with these defrag style obstacle courses, (which I personally find pretty boring) is anyone working on adding race checkpoints to other maps? or would be interested in having them? personally I really love the racing in QL because it's so much more organic playing on actual maps and also good practice for getting around the maps in other game modes.

It looks like ctf-monolith works in race mode which is awesome but I don't think I've seen any others?

Personally I am no fan of Race mode or Defrag-like maps, i.e. I simply ignored them up to now. But it did occur to me when watching the Reflex Mapping Birthday session yesterday, remembering that the player spawn points can be set up game mode specific: That it really might be fun to have other entities that are game mode specific only. My FFA map AEdm7R could be really fun to play in Race mode... criss-crossing all over the map, adding an alternate way to explore/play the map. This would require...

Race mode only entities:

• Start/finish brush entities seem to exist already.
  • Race mode-only clipping... i.e. is ignored in other modes... think of e.g. Need for Speed World races, that section off parts of the world that you should not enter while racing. This Race mode clipping would need to be visible while playing.
  • Race mode check points... so you have a progression from area to area, no "start - finish" one jump short cut. The check points might make a form of radar on the HUD necessary (no idea does that already exist?).
  • Race mode timer bonus entities... maybe the map has a countdown instead of just timing the run, and you can collect special timer entities that increase your time again. Though I think this would probably be another mode actually... no idea how to call those... Countdown Race maybe?

Anyway... giving existing maps a more single player additional fun mode would be something I'd look into. Especially, since there are no bots to play around with in the MP maps so far.

• Race mode-only clipping... i.e. is ignored in other modes... think of e.g. Need for Speed World races, that section off parts of the world that you should not enter while racing. This Race mode clipping would need to be visible while playing.

​I'm not really sure this would be needed? but could be interesting, could actually be useful for other game modes too now that I think about it especially if it became a scripted thing?

• Race mode check points... so you have a progression from area to area, no "start - finish" one jump short cut. The check points might make a form of radar on the HUD necessary (no idea does that already exist?).

​Definitely a must have (although for CTF maps in QL these seem to be omitted and it actually works out quite well in those cases) - are they not already a thing? haven't actually looked if they exist or not lol

• Race mode timer bonus entities... maybe the map has a countdown instead of just timing the run, and you can collect special timer entities that increase your time again. Though I think this would probably be another mode actually... no idea how to call those... Countdown Race maybe?

Anyway... giving existing maps a more single player additional fun mode would be something I'd look into. Especially, since there are no bots to play around with in the MP maps so far.

​I think it's usually called Time Attack in most racing games, but then again that also refers to just competing for best time. Could be a cool addition and a nice way to add challenge to race specific maps as an alternative to loading them up with tricky jumps and teleporter pits =)

I knew there would be at least one thing I forgot...

• Race mode specific jump pads and teleport entities... e.g. if you fall into something, or don't make a necessary jump, you can teleport the folks back, but not interfere with e.g. the FFA mode of the map.

From a nice editing perspective... it would be then neat to not show stuff from other modes while editing. E.g. when working on the FFA mode, the Race mode entities are/can be hidden, and vice versa.

That brings up the huge wish to add a hide clipping in the editor feature.

Edited by AEon