arkore

New idea: every death, you get boost until you frag.

I would like a phone joker where the game is paused and you can call your mate to talk to him about your current ingame situation so he can help you on making decisions.

​"My opponent is near mega and I have 79 health and 58 YA armor.  I don't have much ammo left in rockets and I'm not sure if I should go for him? Should I? BTW We're playing on THCT7 thanks for the help"

This is the thread I will point to when people ask why I want scriptable game modes.

Or perhaps it's a bad example :P

​No, I think that's a pretty good example of what could be achieved with server-side lua scripts that could access a few properties like player health, weapons etc.

This is the thread I will point to when people ask why we haven't made any major changes to the game. Pretty much every single person in this thread was a dick.

​Don't let it get to you, remember you're making a game for thousands of potential players you will never hear from, not for a few dozen forum members who just want to keep playing CPMA ;-)

I like how people always defend Reflex when someone says it's just CPMA 2.0 ...... but on the other side .... this thread..... yeah.

Fixing existing mechanics isn't as easy as some people might believe, f.e. fixing the spawns. Spawn-Systems will get abused .... always. We already got to that point. So "fixing" spawns isn't exactly an option, at least not to a degree where it won't get abused. Bad map design is the root of all evil in the first place.... and Reflex has plenty of them.

Having a mechanic that gives a freshly killed player somekinda advantage/help in order to make spawn-killing less rewarding doesn't sound too abstract. Dunno why people in here have to be such cunts. ( Ban me for it. Don't care at this point ). 

It doesn't even have to be extremely overpowered as some people in here pretend. As long as it's strong enough to make the living player consider if it's worth going for the spawn-kill or not ..... the job is done. Ofc this wouldn't work with the current spawn-system, as you can spawn close to your attacker.

In a balanced duel match spawn kills shouldn't decide about winning or losing. The factors leading up to a fight should. And before someone comes and says "but you get spawn kills yourself as well" ..... spawns are somewhat random. I thought Reflex players are all about skill n shit, but for some reason spawn-killing is a valid mechanic .....despite it being highly influenced by certain rng.

I guess Reflex will never see the day where Newborn has the freedom to just test out gameplay stuff, cuz all the kids go crazy if something get's changed. Every. Fucking. Time. 1 year from now you'll have your CPMA 2.0 .... hope you'll be happy. All 20 of you who then will be the only ones playing it. After realizing that you'll be searching for excuses like "the game is just too hard for most people...blablabla *insert typical excuse stuff*".

All hope that i have actually left for Reflex is that Newborn finds his balls ( ;) ) and does the stuff THEY want for THEIR game, but apparently they are worried about sales and since this community is incapable of lettings devs actually develope the game and see where it would go ..... my hope might be naive.

The whole reason i ( and many others ...) sticked with Reflex was the talk of Reflex NOT being CPMA 2.0 .... then a few months ago some talk about experimental gameplay changes came up .... and now it seems like there won't be any major changes at all. Might as well just quit. Sorry.... and esp. sorry for the whole dev team that puts up so much great work that won't get rewarded the way it should be, mostly because of the community. Which is sad. Kinda wondering why communities of other similar games in development are more open-minded ..... should one make think about what audience we are currently dealing with ....

This is the thread I will point to when people ask why we haven't made any major changes to the game. Pretty much every single person in this thread was a dick.

​There were some jokes (some amusing), but it wasn't really all that toxic.  Nothing here reminded me of the timer hate threads earlier this year.

But to be on topic, would the original post be a bad idea?  I don't think so.  Think in terms of competitive players - would it break high level duels in any way?  I highly doubt it.  In order for the buff to be meaningful, you'd need to die a fair bit, and that is not desirable at all for a buff that only lasts until you get one kill.  

So that end result is that newer players getting stomped actually get a kill every now and then.  Is it really a bad thing?  No.  I would totally play duels with that turned on.  Maybe I just want to see something new and innovating in this genre after playing almost the same thing for ~15 years...

Add me to the list of people who wants to see serious gameplay changes.  I'd hype it up for you.

Maybe I just want to see something new and innovating in this genre after playing almost the same thing for ~15 years...

It's depressing to hear you say that in a forum of a CPM reboot game, when there's already games like Xonotic and Wickland laying around, just begging for players with your mentality. 

It's depressing to hear you say that in a forum of a CPM reboot game, when there's already games like Xonotic and Wickland laying around, just begging for players with your mentality. 

Can you point me to an official statement by a developer that says "Reflex is a CPM reboot"?  There are plenty of sources (Benz' most recent link included) that indicate exactly the opposite of your claim.

And to address the other games, Wickland's movement mechanic never appealed to me in the least bit.  Maybe I should give Xonotic a shot, but I kind of don't expect it will be a growing community, right?

Edited by KovaaK

If you ask me, spawn frags are part of the control dynamic. It's a reward for doing well. You could make the hardest game ever with the highest skill ceiling and it would play like tic tac toe if you don't reward the better player for being better.