spessu_sb

Two gameplay suggestions

1.Bring back stakegun with it's original more slow projectile speed and give it 200dmg.
- That way it wouldn't be useless nor op.(stakegun obviously shouldn't have that multihit bug then anymore or the test and judging wouldn't really be fair)

2.Add Quake 4 style ability to shoot through teleports.
- This would add to Reflex imo by giving more depth. Example. Imagine red armor was in some room that had only two ways to it and teleport being the second way. Now you could deny the amor via tp by spamming eg. plasma or gl. This example could be used for the cpm3 ra place. This would create more options and more options=more strategies which is winwin afaic.

I know this game isn't wanted to be seen as neither "Quake clone" or as "cpma 2.0". These ideas would help to set it more away from that, without still being too radical and changing the direction of reflex too much. I think these ideas could be tested.

Not a fan of the stake launcher at all TBH.

I would like to see a number of different teleporter types though... Ones that you can see through for sure, and I'd like the give ones that you can shoot through a chance too.

i dislike the idea of a 200dmg stakegun. because people would spam it and hope for a lucky hit, and .. 200 dmg??? really?

think how you would feel if YOU were hit by a total noob with that lucky shot. besides, people would melee with it. 

i do like the idea of shooting through TPs, but i have not played Q4 online, so i do not know how effective/good/annoying that would be.

i think that ... once in the future, the game is complete.. then, and only then, we can (and should) ask for variables on private servers. once these are in, everyone can make their own gamemode as they please. all the while, benefiting from reflex's superior netcode and modern engine. 

then you can have 200dmg stake, no problem. do it and i will even join your server and try it.

Edited by Sky

I like the idea of the stakegun, but I'm not sure what niche it fills. It seems to me that it's just a worse railgun, and stakejumping doesn't get you anywhere that you couldn't already get with rockets/plas/whatever. I guess it doesn't hurt you, but that's it.

I would work on addressing the current gameplay issues before we try anything new. I'm not shutting you down or anything, I'm just sayin'. =]
There can be a LOT more depth in this game if some (pretty important) things were changed.

• Spawn System (will create strategy around how the spawn system works, where to position yourself, knowing where you're going to spawn so you can prepare)
  • Balancing the power of the weapons with the speed/power of the movement (this will add a lot more strategy to the gameplay, positioning yourself well will have more of an affect, will create more risk because you'll die faster (or take a LOT more damage) depending on how well you execute your play)
  • Projectile origin and how the netcode deals with projectiles in general (this will make Rockets/Plasma/GL more consistent. this just needs to happen, I don't see why anyone would object to having the projectiles be more consistent)
  • The collision when you're up-close to your enemy (so you don't warp in and out of each other/projectiles don't go through your enemy)
  • Sound System
Edited by LoNeZiLLa

In my opinion there isn't really space for the stakegun. It worked in Painkiller because there was no railgun there so it was the "sniping" weapon, however in Reflex you already have the railgun (bolt rifle) for sniping and the climbing doesn't really serve a purpose either because you've already got the plasma gun and rocket launcher for getting to places (these are both a lot easier and more efficient to use in most if not all cases also).

Edited by PJC

I think the only way to revive stakegun to have the option to use it while other weapons are active.

ie Press 'e' while bunnyhoppying about the map shooting rockets to shoot a stake out without a weapon switch. This preserves flow and adds more depth and creativity to movement.

I liked the stakegun, and would love to see it come back!

To me, it doesn't feel like a worse railgun/boltrifle but as a completely different weapon. I do think it should be 100 damage, as it's a pretty difficult weapon to be effective with, and unlike rockets/grenades, doesn't have a splash radius.

As for the argument that it's useless because there's bolt rifle, well, one could make a map that has the stakegun, but not the bolt rifle.

I want the stake gun back aswell. <3 200 dmg seems reasonable to me, would punish people who use the same rail-angels every time hard. Obv it would need a veeeery slow reload time so you couldnt just hug people and 1shot before they can rox you down. Why not?

And to adress Sky, well, if youre playing a total noob you can just press your smile-bind and be happy that you are 35 - 0 allready. =) 

As for shooting through teleports that seems cool.

Edited by pUlseEater

A 200dmg stakegun wouldn't be a substitute for the rail, it would be like a shotgun with slugs. An insanely strong shotgun with slugs. Think things through people, weapon balancing isn't as easy as matching the DPS on all guns by entering random damage values and then adjusting the reload time.

Stakegun should be handled like the BFG in Q3, not one of the main weapons, just a fun side weapon for stuff like CTFS. Hitting a rail through the teleporter thing would probably be pretty cool, but i'm not sold on the concept of free damage without any exposure.

A 200dmg stakegun wouldn't be a substitute for the rail, it would be like a shotgun with slugs. An insanely strong shotgun with slugs. Think things through people, weapon balancing isn't as easy as matching the DPS on all guns by entering random damage values and then adjusting the reload time.

​What if it wasn't a substitute but rather a whole different weapon? I dont know what you are talking about comparing it to the shotgun, the shotgun is a close-mid range weapon. If the stake gun would have a very long reload time (say double or triple the rail time) it would be used mostly for some really sick prediction/quickpeek shots when you read your opponent well! What do you think of this idea?

Edited by pUlseEater

​What if it wasn't a substitute but rather a whole different weapon? I dont know what you are talking about comparing it to the shotgun, the shotgun is a close-mid range weapon. If the stake gun would have a very long reload time (say double or triple the rail time) it would be used mostly for some really sick prediction/quickpeek shots when you read your opponent well! What do you think of this idea?

​No it wouldn't, because of the travel time it would be used in close quarters as a <200 total hp finisher (so pretty much all the time) where it's a lot more likely to hit. People do the same with the rail sometimes, except that thing only does 80 damage and it's viable at range.

Stakegun should be handled like the BFG in Q3, not one of the main weapons, just a fun side weapon for stuff like CTFS. Hitting a rail through the teleporter thing would probably be pretty cool, but i'm not sold on the concept of free damage without any exposure.

​I'd have loved to have had the rail replaced with BFG on all cpm duel maps.

Stakegun was great fun, especially running around low hp in ATDM instakilling fully stacked players. c:

I think the stakegun really needs a unique purpose, otherwise it's completely on the mercy of map makers who might not be brave enough include it in their maps. You would also have to build special places in maps where the stakegun is useful e.g., jumps you can't make without it, places you can momentarily block with it.

200dmg would be way too rewarding imo, off the top of my head 120dmg seems like a good balance but even then the gun is just an upgraded bolt.

You could get around the whole range thing by having a charge time rather than a reload time, like having to cock the projectile before you can fire.

​I'd like to see this for bolt rifle, as I think the ic -> bolt combo is still horribly broken, as it was in CPM.

To be honest, the best role I can think of for the stakegun wouldn't be in any of the conventional modes. I would like to see it being used in instagib instead of a bolt rifle.
​Also, shoot through teles only creates more stuff to spam or more info to be aware of, without adding much actual DEPTH to playing. (also rockets flying out of a wall from a guy on the other side of the map isn't exactly a interactive mechanic)

Maybe the stakegun projectile could drag you along with it until it hits a wall? Getting hit by it would completely screw your movement and that would make it pretty effective in CTF against flag carries.

​No it wouldn't, because of the travel time it would be used in close quarters as a <200 total hp finisher (so pretty much all the time) where it's a lot more likely to hit. People do the same with the rail sometimes, except that thing only does 80 damage and it's viable at range.

OK, yea i guess youre right. But as Pill suggested you could get around this by using a charge up time. 200 dmg may be a little over the top aswell, but say 130 dmg with a 2 sec charge up time? Maybe decrease projectile speed just a tad aswell to make it harder to predict (tho im not sure how fast it actually was)

Maybe im totally off but i just think it would be totally awesome to have 1 more high risk high reward weapon =]

I wanted to say this ever since Nov, 2014, when I first saw the stakegun.

I think the stakegun is a great idea, and sets this game apart from the rest. 

However, it should not be an actual weapon that you need to switch to.  That is wrong.  Unless the switch was instant, and instant switch back to prevous weapon.

In other words, it should be (like what Arnold said) a special action that you can activate at any moment, which keeps the game flow smooth and uninterrupted.

I was shocked when I saw news of it first being removed.  

It creates new gameplay.

The sort-of gameplay reminds me of Q2 expert CTF.