Thaylia

Reflex at PAX 2016, what do you think?

I don't think they want to market the game in alpha.

​That's true, but by November it will be more complete. I know there was one game that wasn't complete and it was in PAX. I think they (we) want to think it as a positive for more exposure in the game industry. That way we can increase the number of sales and players.

How does PAX work? If there was a Reflex LAN I might come, but if it's just a convention with booths and panels and stuff then realistically I wouldn't.

​It is a convention with booths of games, but the big games do hold LANs there that I have seen in the past PAX. It would be AWESOME if there was a Reflex LAN in one of the future PAX... ;) *sigh*

I haven't posted or commented much, more of a behind the scenes member, but the devs call me "HR, accounts, cake lady, PA....." let's just sum it to Boss Lady :). Some of you already read my comments or posts on Turbo Pixel twitter. I like to get feedback from the community now and then to help make Reflex bigger and better. 

australia .. that's far. i'm gonna have to pass on this. 

but, a stand would be a good idea. maybe even enlist (insert Australian Quake legend here) to show off how awesome the game is. 

and a sign that says "rockets now shoot when you press fire! "

Yeah, I know that majority of the Reflex community are international, so I don't see many being interested in PAX Australia. But it's still a good way to drum up more exposure. 

It's good for exposure of course, but could the money be better spent on online marketing?

If they have any marketing $, I reckon the best use of it would be to fund tournaments.

Imagine celebrating the 1.0 release with a tournament with an impressive prize pool, and the promise of another major tournament a year down the track. The first tournament will ensure that all the early access players are extra hyped around the release date, so the scene will be active and exciting for new players. Release hype + tournament hype will get you decent coverage on some of the mainstream gaming websites, without having to take out any paid advertising. The 1-year tournament will give all the players, new and old, something to build toward, and will hopefully increase the level of interest for smaller community-run competitions in the leadup.

edit: that would also increase the marketing budget a bit, because the community would probably be willing to contribute to the prize pool, whereas I doubt many people would donate for paid ads.

Edited by matt_au

If they have any marketing $, I reckon the best use of it would be to fund tournaments.

Imagine celebrating the 1.0 release with a tournament with an impressive prize pool, and the promise of another major tournament a year down the track. The first tournament will ensure that all the early access players are extra hyped around the release date, so the scene will be active and exciting for new players. Release hype + tournament hype will get you decent coverage on some of the mainstream gaming websites, without having to take out any paid advertising. The 1-year tournament will give all the players, new and old, something to build toward, and will hopefully increase the level of interest for smaller community-run competitions in the leadup.

edit: that would also increase the marketing budget a bit, because the community would probably be willing to contribute to the prize pool, whereas I doubt many people would donate for paid ads.

​This is a good idea. It does bring up some ideas that is worth exploring.