newborn

Reflex 0.38 - Gooey

Tip: To clean up your .map files... Good old nodraw (or "dark caulk")

internal/editor/textures/editor_nolight

has been removed. It causes warnings on the console when loading the map! So you might like to go into a text editor (e.g. Notepad++, UltraEdit), load up your .map file and replace them with some valid texture, e.g. the explicitly named default brush texture:

structural/dev/dev_grey128

Note that the (formerly default) unnamed grey grid texture no longer seems to work via me_setmaterial / me_getmaterial. I.e. it cannot be copy/pasted to surfaces/brushes. Which is probably a good thing, since unnamed textures are somewhat evil :ph34r:.

Update: Tested on AEpyraR2... works... removes all the warnings on the console.

Edited by AEon

The base/internal/maps folder is there (intentionally) just because I didn't want a steam update to nuke peoples WIP maps (not sure it would, just being cautious). The steam folder was renamed ago, perhaps it only triggered for you as you did a fresh install?

Strange... I have been using the main common\Reflex folder right up to 0.38, where it then failed on the latest update. No fresh install upto then. Had to do a fresh install to get things working again though. So that was cleared up.

Note: It's nice to note that deinstalled a full Reflex install does not touch any of the custom files, e.g. your maps or .lua scripts (provided they do not overwrite original files), when deleting the local content via Steam menu.

Additional note: All the LUA scripts in my custom widget folder:

common\reflexfps\base\internal\ui\widgets_custom\

work... and did not cause the crashes. So all is pretty much well on that front.

So many things dune right in this release I don't know where to begin. But if I have to give some _minor_ critics of what I have seen it must

- Hitsound of meele weapons, sounds to hollow.

- Sound of menuselection, sounds like I double click.

- I'm not a big fan of having news on games interface... (But that is probably just me. And I can see a reason why to have it.)

Other then that a BIG SUCCESS :)

The idea is now, savemap saves a .map & .light (& also a .preview) all at once.

​What does the .preview file do? I noted on a savemap that it was, as you mentioned, created. It's relatively large with 5.29 MB and it's size does not seem to depend on the map though?

​What does the .preview file do? I noted on a savemap that it was, as you mentioned, created. It's relatively large with 5.29 MB and it's size does not seem to depend on the map though?

​Think it's for the mapshot when you create a server

​Think it's for the mapshot when you create a server

​It does... just tested this... uses the target "end" (wordspawn name for targetGameOver) camera for the view to create the screenshot. Makes sense and automatically looks nice. The .preview image seems to be some form of Reflex native "raw" format, to prevent future misuse of such images, I am guessing.

Note that the (formerly default) unnamed grey grid texture no longer seems to work via me_setmaterial / me_getmaterial. I.e. it cannot be copy/pasted to surfaces/brushes. Which is probably a good thing, since unnamed textures are somewhat evil :ph34r:.

This is because the face your trying to getmaterial on is infact not a dev grid texture material, but an old textured material (or any form of material) that doesn't exist - Atleast that's my experience.​

Hmmm... just launched Steam and on autodownload I am seeing a  Paused DISK READ ERROR... and under Library "Reflex - Update paused"... my HDD with the Steam games is fine and there is enough space on that drive as well. Anyone else have the issue?

(Launching Steam, several updates where taking place, I launched Risen 3, which seems to have stopped the Reflex 407 MB download... and Steam itself was also trying to update itself... somewhere along the line something seems to have messed up.)

Moved the hard link from C:\ to the main steam folder and on D:\... and after a cache verification the update finally installed... but now on launching Reflex I am seeing an error:

Reflex: Fatal Error

Failed to load asset: 'base/structural/custom/dev_floor01.material' from disk

but the file actually does exist... something is really fucked up here.

Any help appreciated.

Update: One of the issues seems to be that the common\Reflex folder is now called common\reflexfps. A deinstall and a clean reinstall seems to work... copying my "custom" files back into reflexfps repeats above Fatal Error... I am guessing this may be due to old .lua scripts.

​i had similar error like base/internal/...boltmaterial something.

reinstall/remove lua widgets didn't work. I just deleted the internal.pak and verified the cache and the game and worked.

yeah it's kinda weird to have esc to be the button to advance the title screen lol

​I wouldn't say it's a particularly bad decision but yeah, I did find that to be strange...

"Press any key" or "Press enter" would make a lot more sense.

Has there been physics changes? Ground/air accel feels more random while using strafe keys only or forward/back only. Also double jump interval feels shorter and sometimes random. Could be just plain old performance issues though.

Sounds all great! Will try later at home. Already looking forward to getting my crowbar-cosmetic :) Although I think melees should deal less damage, hit faster and damage should not be dealt punctual but in a small angle around your crosshair. It would be more logic because of melee-swing attacks.. A higher attackrate would also allow to have various believable saws as cosmetics.

10 hours ago, Smilecythe said:

Has there been physics changes? Ground/air accel feels more random while using strafe keys only or forward/back only. Also double jump interval feels shorter and sometimes random. Could be just plain old performance issues though.

The only gameplay changes are the IC and spawns. We definitely didn't change movement, or change anything that could even remotely impact movement -- input cleanups are as close as we would have gotten. 

Also if we did change movement values, it obviously wouldn't have been something like "bunnymagic = 25 + random(0,10)" ;)

On 12/17/2015 at 0:09 PM, C3r3S said:

maybe a "placebo" statement like: "We updated movement physics - it's perfect now!" would have the desired effect. ;)

Some of the jumps i used to do are harder now. So there has been changes or my mouse cought dust. L:D

hey newborn!

do you mind elaborating on your thoughts behind the lg buff? its a really strong weapon now, qw players seem to dig it :D

i really enjoy the knockback, tho im not sure if that was even changed, it atleast seems abit stronger. my first thoughts on the damage buff are that it weakens the incontrol player alot, armors melt away really fast, and good positioning really outclasses a fully stacked player now.

IC wasn't hurting enough so now it hurts more ;). I'm not happy with the amount of cripple the IC knockback has so that will need to be adjusted. Unfortunately tthat requires rebalancing a lot of other knockback values (or putting in special knockback hacks just for the IC). Damage I'm not sure about. I really want to see the hit percentages involved first. At the end of the day, it's a top tier weapon so should hurt quite a bit, but I still want it to be more situational than "they are in range"

Hmm, I really like the new IC but I still can't shake the feel that rocket combat isn't as smooth as I'd like it to be, is there anything you are planning to change with regards to rockets newborn?