SquishyPon3

[logged] Game crashes on startup. (Windows)

I just installed the windows 10 technical preview, and then Steam, and Reflex after that. Upon launching the game the window would appear, I'd hear a bit of music or well- the jumping sounds, and then the game would crash.

I have the error report and can give my dxdiag.txt if needed. :P

The quote button doesn't seem to be working, possibly a rule for new members? Anyway, Furiouness, they just... Skipped nine, because I don't know... Microsoft! I have Linux, and I installed Windows 10 so I could play Reflex, as obviously I don't want 8 (Which honestly isn't *that* bad, it's just not what I wanted), and 10 just had more features than 7. :P

I wouldn't want to discuss on this forum Windows, but... I wanna f***ing perfomance, I hate f***ing Metro. So, for me, in Windows 10 important only next version of DirectX and I don't want even just test this s**t. Anyway, time will show.

Well then you'd be happy to know that Windows 10 gets rid of the Metro screen, good 'ole Start button exclusively once more. It also has multiple desktops, and a could other really great features adding onto seven. Anyway, right, don't want to get off topic. xP

If it crashes it should bring up the crash reporter -- use than and we should have a bunch of info we need delivered to our email. We'll keep an eye out for any of them running Windows 10 (although I'm not sure how much we can support it until it's properly released).

I don't believe it would be Windows 10, unless you have a driver that is not compatible.  Obviously there isn't much for manufacturers supporting Windows 10 on their hardware.  I run Windows 10 with no issues or crashes upon launch.  To be honest, I haven't found any issues with Win 10 itself that isn't the same on 7 or 8.

I guess what I'm getting at, check your device manager for bad/failed drivers?  Maybe go redownload Win 8 drivers for your hardware and reinstall?  Also, what hardware are you operating on?

I don't believe it would be Windows 10, unless you have a driver that is not compatible.  Obviously there isn't much for manufacturers supporting Windows 10 on their hardware.  I run Windows 10 with no issues or crashes upon launch.  To be honest, I haven't found any issues with Win 10 itself that isn't the same on 7 or 8.

I guess what I'm getting at, check your device manager for bad/failed drivers?  Maybe go redownload Win 8 drivers for your hardware and reinstall?  Also, what hardware are you operating on?

Here, I can get you a dxdiag actually. :D

That's the reason I was confused, as I had imagined it'd be the same as well.

(It's a bleh computer I know, but it shouldn't cause crashes... That is of course unless drivers are outdated, which I wouldn't be surprised if they are, as I haven't done any drivers updates when I moved to windows 10.)

DxDiag.txt

Your CPU is an average CPU, and I would imagine it should be enough for light loads, however using it as an integrated GPU also is what is killing you.  I would venture to say that being an Intel HD 3000 integrated GPU is why you cannot launch the game.  You said you hear the jumping sounds and then proceeds to crash without any visuals.  Do you have another computer, possibly a desktop to try it out on?

Your CPU is an average CPU, and I would imagine it should be enough for light loads, however using it as an integrated GPU also is what is killing you.  I would venture to say that being an Intel HD 3000 integrated GPU is why you cannot launch the game.  You said you hear the jumping sounds and then proceeds to crash without any visuals.  Do you have another computer, possibly a desktop to try it out on?

I wouldn't imagine the terrible GPU would cause the game to instantly crash, I mean I'd understand if it were terribly laggy, but automatic crashing due to GPU seems a bit fishy.

Though I actually found another thread, apparently the GPU running out of VRAM caused a crash on startup for someone else, which means that because my GPU has no VRAM (it uses the RAM as you probably know already :P ) it may have caused the same, or a similar crash.

This is my only computer, I'll be getting a much newer one in two months or so however, after I move.

I see.  That could be an issue, but if that integrated HD 3000 doesn't support a shader version or technology the game uses, it could be the cause of not opening.

Sorry you can't play right now! I believe they are looking into that one.

HD 3000 mobile might be constrained to DX9 and shader model 4.0.  Even the most basic low end cards being sold today are at least DX10 or DX11 and shader model 4.4. Currently shader model for brand new top of the line cards is 4.5 Your HD 3000 is pretty far behind minimum recommended specs.  In Reflex's current unoptimized state of build #27 the game might be too intensive for your card.  I'm sure they'll optimize it in the future which will lower the minimum requirement but in it's current state it's likely too much for your mobile gpu to handle.

HD 3000 mobile might be constrained to DX9 and shader model 4.0.  Even the most basic low end cards being sold today are at least DX10 or DX11 and shader model 4.4. Currently shader model for brand new top of the line cards is 4.5 Your HD 3000 is pretty far behind minimum recommended specs.  In Reflex's current unoptimized state of build #27 the game might be too intensive for your card.  I'm sure they'll optimize it in the future which will lower the minimum requirement but in it's current state it's likely too much for your mobile gpu to handle.

Actually as it turns out, after reinstalling the game the game works fine. Getting good fps as well, though with everything disabled. It can be a bit skippy at times (especially when a player dies, blood kills fps when looked at closely for some reason.)

So yeah, it works, this can be closed now. :D

HD 3000 has the necessary technology, just not enough power.  He has new enough shader level on it and DirectX 10, however the power just is weak and that will show when, as he stated, some gibs fly.