TornadoStorm

Autohop idea

Hello

Figiured wouldn't it be nice if there was some sort of feature where if you hold space, it will only autohop while you have an upwards velocity above 0? It's be a lot better to do things like double jumps, mini stair jumps, climbing ladders etc. since I figiured that Reflex would not work with a normal autohop when holding space like in QL, since it would be overused and (apparently) require considerably less skill.

Any thoughts on the idea?

Edit: My views are changed. I am against the idea of autohop completely now that I have learned what it'd do :P What do you think?

9 hours ago, TornadoStorm said:

Reflex would not work with a normal autohop when holding space like in QL, since it would be overused and (apparently) require considerably less skill.

On the contrary, I think the autohop would make double jump significantly harder, for telejumps you'd have to make sure you're not still holding space on the other side and ledge/stair which have even less interval would be even harder. PQL in theory is pretty much what Reflex would be like with autohop. Speed of the game would be faster, but everyone would be pissed off at the inconsistency of double jumps. In some games like Xonotic, Warsow and vQL/pQL, autohop doesn't matter because they don't have emphasis on trick jumps that require precision between jump intervals and that's why in those games it works. 

On 12/18/2015 at 1:30 PM, TornadoStorm said:

Reflex would not work with a normal autohop when holding space like in QL, since it would be overused and (apparently) require considerably less skill.

I wouldn't say autohop lowers the skill ceiling, because bunnyhop and ledgejumps are pretty easy on their own in the first place, the skill to spam a jump key is not really what's important in bunnyhopping. Autohop is a convenient feature for defraggers, because instead of tapping that jump key and generating a lot of noise (depending on your keyboard), you can just hold it. What autohop does in addition however is make controlling double jumps a lot harder, so in games where that's important, the inclusion of such feature simply doesn't shift the difficulty the right way.

Ah I see. Alright :P Yeah it would make it much more difficult since you gotta time double jumps at the right moment, and if you're holding the spacebar it would make it really annoying, just as stairjumps in QL where sometimes if you're moving fast, trying to do a quick stair jump will result in 5 jumps being done in a millisecond then flying off in the wrong direction xD

Nothing wrong when you have an option to switch on autohop. All those "bad habits", wrong timings, heights etc are not relevant for those, who just want to join FFA and have some fun. New player seeks for easy, comfortable mechanics, not tutorials.

1 hour ago, DefDogs said:

Nothing wrong when you have an option to switch on autohop. All those "bad habits", wrong timings, heights etc are not relevant for those, who just want to join FFA and have some fun. New player seeks for easy, comfortable mechanics, not tutorials.

People who just want to join FFA and have some fun tend to not jump very often anyways. It's not like autohop has any value if you don't know anything about the movement.

12 hours ago, seekax said:

People who just want to join FFA and have some fun tend to not jump very often anyways. It's not like autohop has any value if you don't know anything about the movement.

From my sight, I cant say so. Having like 3k FFA's in QL I saw how changes like autohop and loadouts affected the game. Old fags critisize it like any other change, and newcomes actually used it and whine after loadouts were off by default again. Its not what affect numbers a lot, It won't dramatically change whether they stay in game or not, but its a small option that can be convenient to some people and could be added like #1000 in to-do list.

On 25/12/2015 at 8:11 PM, DefDogs said:

If you don't want to learn the game then you deserve to stay bad at it, really...

I really don't see how the ability to hold the space bar instead of pressing it each time that you want to jump can possibly affect someone's ability to have fun.

Maybe we should just go whole hog and add aim assist too though, right? New players probably don't want to spend time improving their aim.

1 hour ago, m0sley said:

If you don't want to learn the game then you deserve to stay bad at it, really...

I really don't see how the ability to hold the space bar instead of pressing it each time that you want to jump can possibly affect someone's ability to have fun.

Maybe we should just go whole hog and add aim assist too though, right? New players probably don't want to spend time improving their aim.

Yes, its a known attitude, since the early Quake - if you don't give a f..ck about learning and improving - be a noob, play CS... and they go and play. You probably don't see how using auto transmission instead of switching gears manually can affect someone's ability to have fun... I can't help you with that. Then my only question is - if you are not ready to step towards casuals whats the point of spending years and lots of money making a new QL, QW, Warsaw, Xonotic, CPM etc? To please a hundred of 30 year old fans of this sort of mentality with map editor and lua widgets?

2 hours ago, DefDogs said:

Yes, its a known attitude, since the early Quake - if you don't give a f..ck about learning and improving - be a noob, play CS... and they go and play. You probably don't see how using auto transmission instead of switching gears manually can affect someone's ability to have fun... I can't help you with that. Then my only question is - if you are not ready to step towards casuals whats the point of spending years and lots of money making a new QL, QW, Warsaw, Xonotic, CPM etc? To please a hundred of 30 year old fans of this sort of mentality with map editor and lua widgets?

A bit offtopic but if an auto transmission is more fun than a manual to you you should see a doctor.

I think all boils down to not being conducive to a new players learning experience. With auto jump readily available, it really wouldn't be apparent to new players that they need to avoid it to get certain jumps to work right. I don't think it'd be as hard to work around as some people think, but newer players wouldn't realize it's something to avoid in certain situations in the first place.

4 hours ago, DefDogs said:

Not sure how things are in Russia, but in the UK 95%+ drive manual transmission...

1 hour ago, seekax said:

A bit offtopic but if an auto transmission is more fun than a manual to you you should see a doctor.

Just in case you don't get it - it's not the point.