Sign in to follow this  
A. Benz

Mapping Contest: new competitive duel maps

So [username]duel/tourney# format is too cryptic? I'll change it if it's absolutely necessary. I Feel if you provide enough information what the map is any name should be fine. I'm too used to this and been doing it for years. On top of that most people give actual real name for their maps too in one way or another. Currently Reflex doesn't give any option to name them in editor itself.

Here is the absolute flat name version for my map: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3240726/reflex/maps/burnace.zip

my map have both cryptic name thcdmX and every one have its own 'name' not sure if any of this is a problem. I think having both is good and even the cryptic name is better because there is more chance for them to be unique.

my map have both cryptic name thcdmX and every one have its own 'name' not sure if any of this is a problem. I think having both is good and even the cryptic name is better because there is more chance for them to be unique.

Naming the file different than the map is actually named is confusing and annoying. F.e.: Wanna vote "deathmorning" ...you have to callvote thcdm6. There's 0 logic behind that. Maps not having a unique name will be impossible anyways once the steam-workshop gets integrated.

Our website spawns servers on demand. Now when people vote/ban maps .... there are pretty much 2 names for every map. That's annoying and 100% unnecessary. F.e. if "deathmorning" gets voted the servers should start with "+sv_startmap deathmorning" and not "+sv_startmap thcdm6".

I don't know why people have such a big problem breaking their old weird habbits of naming maps. What better time to start with it, then a new game.

Btw: i will exclude every submission that doesn't follow the rules. It's 19:20 now .... at around 24:00 i will redownload every map again and exclude the ones without proper names.

Regards

I renamed to "claustrophobia" as I wasn't sure if having my username and 1v1 in the name would invalidate my submission. For those who already downloaded feel free to rename your map file as there will now be two identical versions in circulation. Maybe the development team will also be kind enough to replace the original file in an upcoming patch to prevent duplicates, I'm not sure.

Maybe the development team will also be kind enough to replace the original file in an upcoming patch to prevent duplicates, I'm not sure.

I wouldn't bother, I'm confident the official naming convention for maps in the release version of the game will be the shorthand form that we've seen in every DM FPS ever.

I fully support Benz decision because it's what the developers have said will happen with map meta data.   It will become more obvious in the future when those features roll out.  In the mean time it's a good habit to get used to and Benz is doing a good thing by getting people used to the format.  He didn't come up with the file name rules on a whim.  It's for a reason.

I wouldn't bother, I'm confident the official naming convention for maps in the release version of the game will be the shorthand form that we've seen in every DM FPS ever.

I fully support Benz decision because it's what the developers have said will happen with map meta data.   It will become more obvious in the future when those features roll out.  In the mean time it's a good habit to get used to and Benz is doing a good thing by getting people used to the format.  He didn't come up with the file name rules on a whim.  It's for a reason.

Or I could be wrong, :o!

I don't have a map entered in the competition so I have no stake on anything in this topic.  if I were to enter a competition, any competition, I'd ensure to go by the rules especially if there was prize money at stake (which there is)... otherwise I wouldn't enter.  Me not entering the competition has nothing to do with that though.  I've been too busy on training maps to create a 1v1 map.  This competition has sparked a lot of people to make maps and that's a really good thing.  Good luck to everyone!  Every author, their entrant, and the results will be added to the wiki!

than you can download mine from http://thc333.com/reflex/thcdm5/source/electrodynamics.zip

ignoring a map because it have a 'cryptic' name is just wrong you have like 20 submissions so you could just go through them and rename them properly if that what you want, if you dont just sent the files to me I'll rename them for you so they match.

I still cant put my head around typing "map use ( ) and ( ) abuse" so i can play cpm3... or "Blood( )Run( )Tourney" I would even take to write pukka3tourney2 instead of evolution but than again thats me...

I would argue that so called 'cryptic' names are better since they're shorter and easier to remember  +there is a better chance you're going to find what you're looking for in search engines ;0

https://www.google.pl/search?q=thcdm5&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=nr-QVOnGMtDKaPKhgLgD#safe=off&q=pukka3tourney2

https://www.google.pl/search?q=evolution&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=qL-QVJT3C4evaaGwgdgN

I would argue that so called 'cryptic' names are better since they're shorter and easier to remember  +there is a better chance you're going to find what you're looking for in search engines ;0

For real. To use the Quake 3 duel comp map pool as an example, it's way easier to remember:

• pro-q3dm6
  • pro-q3tourney4
  • pro-nodm9
  • hubaeroq3
  • ztn3tourney1

Compared to:

• Campgrounds
  • ​Vertical Vengence (I had to google that to even remember)
  • The Lost World
  • Aerowalk
  • Blood Run Tournament

I support what Benz is doing in theory here. I think y'all are just too used to your ways. We don't need a name full of meta contractions if there's actual metadata, and if Steam Workshop and the server/map browser have things like sorting by map type, author, etc. I'm looking at my Reflex map folder right now and I see bdm3, brcj1a, nbtj2b, thcdm3,4,6,xfdm2, etc etc. I refuse to believe that those names are easier to remember and to type in search boxes than english words.

I really think that part of the reason those ones Tree typed in are so memorable is how much time you've spent with those names already. It's like memorizing phone numbers vs memorizing people's names.

Yeah too entrenched in Quake 3 naming conventions.  Gotta think outside the box.  No need for typing map names in when you can have a drop down list of available maps or some other easier selection method.  Quake 3 is like DOS to some people.  There's still a group of people out there that claim DOS is the best thing ever.  Gotta break out of that mold guys.  There are better ways to do things.  Quake 3 is old, outdated, and about to becoming glaringly obsolete.

Quake 3 was just an example - Don't get me wrong though, my comment is only really related to the way things are now and having to vote through the console. With a decent voting UI that has a screenshot of the map your voting for and what not, I'd be all for "actual names".

Personally I doubt I could ever get out of the habit of using the current naming convention for filenames though; anything I create is still going to be t_dm/ctf/ca/etcetc.

For me personally, the naming convention from quake was an easy way to show that this was MY map, because it has my credentials on it.

...which won't be needed in Reflex. Maps will have meta-data and i bet they will show some meta-data or so in the loading screen at some point. Just like in any other game.

...which won't be needed in Reflex. Maps will have meta-data and i bet they will show some meta-data or so in the loading screen at some point. Just like in any other game.

Maybe. People hardly read any information if they can just download it directly though.

well I still use totalcommander and cant live without it, guess people use that emmm explorer? as I've said for me its easier to have a name like cpm3 and by name I mean filename I dont care how tis going to be displayed in whatever form this is going to be displayed when its goindg to be displayed, it could be a name and a screenshot cool, dropdown and search field cool, but still I will always just `map mapname or callvote mapname ;p

battlefield have a map name like metro but hell people cant even create maps for it guess after a year of public tools you woudl have to call your map metroinfrance29471 ;p

Not sure if I missed the deadline.  Been a busy day, and there are still a few more hours left in it here on the east coast of USA, but I suspect your deadline might be officially gone.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4369386/immortalshare.map if you care.  (I still think it's a silly nitpick until the steam workshop integration is complete)

The map naming argument here is silly. The maps are named that way because it's easiest to type into a console. Personally, I also like to see the lineage of a map from it's creator tag and number.  When a gui comes with names and screenshots attached then you get both

Why isn't my map in the .zip? I renamed before your new deadline.

Oh sorry, after calling the rule "silly" ..naming your map "purplepoop" and "reupload of tuuttiduel1 with some random name because that german guy wants a retarded name". o i thought you made a joke and so i took your submission as a joke.