Duke

Very confused about mouse sensitivity

Question

my mouse has 1600 dpi (i can change it to 800) my sens is 30 and it takes me 20cm to do a 360 in game. I've been reading alot about it, watching videos etc but i'm still confused. my mouse feels fast enough to do circle jumps and stuff, but too fast to aim well. i've tried slowing the sens down, but even if i lower it past 20 its impossible to move... it moves so slow.

my mouse accel is 0 btw

i've never played an fps on pc before, i know better than anybody sens is all personal preference... but is there a range of sens thats reccomended? it feels either way too fast to move well and aim well or way to slow to even play the game. i've tried changing dpi and settings a bunch but can't seem to find the right balance.

any help would be appreciated.

10 answers to this question

20 minutes ago, Duke said:

i've never played an fps on pc before

Reflex for your first PC FPS. That's hardcore man, I like it.

I would say that the sweet spot for most people in Reflex is somewhere between 25 and 35 cm/360°. You should take into account the amount of mouse room you have, ideally you want to be able to do more than a 360 when you sweep from one side to the other of your mousepad to give you enough room. 

Honestly if you've never played an FPS game on PC before, it's going to be difficult to aim at first. Did you previously play console FPS games? Because they have aim assist to compensate for the inaccuracy of using a joystick. If you get too used to this assistance, it can make it feel especially difficult to aim on PC in my experience. You really just have to grind it out and keep playing until your muscle memory develops. Stick with one sensitivity and don't change it.

Best of luck.

7 hours ago, Duke said:

is this kind of mouse movement normal? That looks insane.

6 hours ago, NeuerGolf said:

That's certainly an extreme example

I would disagree. The acceleration is extreme, yes, but only on the low end. The high end of the accel puts it at 44cm/360 which is lower than my base sens. So he's doing more movement than I would be during slow movements, but less during fast movements. Overall flicking and stuff looks pretty similar to my mousing.

I always cite this video to really send home just how much you could be doing to improve your aim and general mouse handling, vs fighting your hands to move precisely in 3 inches of space.

2 hours ago, Stalast said:

Reflex for your first PC FPS. That's hardcore man, I like it.

I would say that the sweet spot for most people in Reflex is somewhere between 25 and 35 cm/360°. You should take into account the amount of mouse room you have, ideally you want to be able to do more than a 360 when you sweep from one side to the other of your mousepad to give you enough room. 

Honestly if you've never played an FPS game on PC before, it's going to be difficult to aim at first. Did you previously play console FPS games? Because they have aim assist to compensate for the inaccuracy of using a joystick. If you get too used to this assistance, it can make it feel especially difficult to aim on PC in my experience. You really just have to grind it out and keep playing until your muscle memory develops. Stick with one sensitivity and don't change it.

Best of luck.

yeah i played halo a bunch, even though it was console i think my aim was pretty up there. i think the mousepad having enough room is the difference here, after testing it i need to move my keyboard to one side to be able to do a 360. never really got too used to AA always tried to stay away from it, even though it can't be helped and is pretty important to aiming.

maybe theres different ways of moving the mouse that i havent discovered yet, or maybe just gaining familiarity with a mouse.

thanks for the help :)

I love this kind of stuff.

First off, what mouse and mousepad do you have. Your mouse itself may have a problem or may just not be able to operate as well as you would like. I can give you recommendations if you so desire. It will probably take at least 200 hours before you start to notice any real improvement. My first fps game was and still is tf2, still play it, and it took me about 800 hours before it started to really click. I noticed the largest improvement around 400 and 800 hours (currently at ~1500), so give it some time. The best way to practice is to play the game, but to consider every thing you do before and after you do it, and to imagine things before they play out. You cannot just play, you must play and be aware of what you are doing and be hard on yourself.

I would venture to say that 20-40 cm is a better range. I personally play at 11.7", which is 29.7 cm, and I love it. As long as you can do a 180 real quick you should be good. What you can try is finding something that feels really good to move and jump around with, and then lower it a bit over time until you have to force it. I spent about 1,000 hours before I came to what I have now, and it takes time to realize that something just isn't right. Try 25cm if you are at a loss and work from there. Don't raise it because it feels too low, stick with it for a day or two and it will start to come. It's all muscle memory, holding mouse, moving it and hitting flickshots. This takes time.

The other thing you could do is go cold turkey and make it super slow to about 35 cm, and then play with it for a day or so. Don't have to play actual matches, but just work on moving around the map and getting comfortable. As you do this, you can adjust it upwards by about 1 cm over time until it starts to feel fast (and it will since you have been playing on low for a while). Make sure to stick with it thought and don't weeny out because it feels too slow. Trust me, you want this and it will be easier over time. In the long run it will make you much better.

You'll get it.

On 21 January 2016 at 3:50 AM, tangy said:

I love this kind of stuff.

First off, what mouse and mousepad do you have. Your mouse itself may have a problem or may just not be able to operate as well as you would like. I can give you recommendations if you so desire. It will probably take at least 200 hours before you start to notice any real improvement. My first fps game was and still is tf2, still play it, and it took me about 800 hours before it started to really click. I noticed the largest improvement around 400 and 800 hours (currently at ~1500), so give it some time. The best way to practice is to play the game, but to consider every thing you do before and after you do it, and to imagine things before they play out. You cannot just play, you must play and be aware of what you are doing and be hard on yourself.

I would venture to say that 20-40 cm is a better range. I personally play at 11.7", which is 29.7 cm, and I love it. As long as you can do a 180 real quick you should be good. What you can try is finding something that feels really good to move and jump around with, and then lower it a bit over time until you have to force it. I spent about 1,000 hours before I came to what I have now, and it takes time to realize that something just isn't right. Try 25cm if you are at a loss and work from there. Don't raise it because it feels too low, stick with it for a day or two and it will start to come. It's all muscle memory, holding mouse, moving it and hitting flickshots. This takes time.

The other thing you could do is go cold turkey and make it super slow to about 35 cm, and then play with it for a day or so. Don't have to play actual matches, but just work on moving around the map and getting comfortable. As you do this, you can adjust it upwards by about 1 cm over time until it starts to feel fast (and it will since you have been playing on low for a while). Make sure to stick with it thought and don't weeny out because it feels too slow. Trust me, you want this and it will be easier over time. In the long run it will make you much better.

You'll get it.

Mouse is zowie fk1, mousepad is steelseries QcK 

i changed my sens to 15.07 and my mouse is 800 dpi now, its hard to adjust but feels much better.

i only have 23cm of mouse space, i can't make it any bigger either so im kind of forced to use a higher sens.

I would recomend buying a qck+ mousepad. It's almost twice as big. Your mouse is fine if you like it, I heard it has clicking issues though.

I use to play on the mousepad you have an I was able to go down to 33.02 cm comfortably. I would buy a larger mousepad. My in-game sens is 6.7 and I still don't use my whole mousepad to do a 360.

I don't know if this is relevant to anything, but there may well be a fault with your mouse's sensor. I use a Zowie FK1 as well, and with it on the 3200 DPI (green light) setting, I get about 13cm/360 (which is freakishly high, don't copy my settings) with m_speed 3.8. If you're really getting 20cm/360 with 6 times my ingame sensitivity then your mouse isn't working. Assuming you're using it on blue (1600dpi), with m_speed 20 you should be looking at 5cm/360. If your sensor's faulty or unable to detect your mousemat properly, that could explain why you find it tricky to control your aim.