Sharqosity

Someone needs to make a CS:GO -> Reflex transition guide

Half of the new people I talk to in Reflex come from cs:go. I know a lot about the Source engine myself, but I never got into cs:go and I'm not good at making guides. Think of how many people would benefit if this guide was made.

Edited by Sharqosity

Those 2 games barely share any similarities gameplay-wise besides the point-of-view. Aiming is totally different, movement .... the only thing i can think of is: "listen to sounds carefully". Everything else is just way too different, so there's no point in a CS:GO -> Reflex-Trainsition-Guide, because it'd basically be just a Reflex-Guide :P

3 hours ago, tangy said:

Raise sensitivity. csgo players use way too low of a sensitivity anyways.

Not sure I agree; CS players rarely play on a sens over 20 inches, while quite a few Reflex/Quake players do so.

9 hours ago, klyph0rd said:

Not sure I agree; CS players rarely play on a sens over 20 inches, while quite a few Reflex/Quake players do so.

Might want to check your source on that. If they do then they have accel.

20cm - 40cm is fairly standard in Arena FPS games, although you get extremes on both ends. Here's some Reflex players cm/360 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZIwA9K7OCVUcZ4id7wb0UPpo_iJWghO55BU1H3ERCrg/edit#gid=1053392502

Also we did a video a few months ago explaining the bare bones of an Arena FPS duel game is. Hopefully it's in a short enough format that it's not too boring:

But specifics between CS and Reflex besides positioning being important in both there isn't a great deal of overlap. 

9 hours ago, Gilanguar said:

20cm - 40cm is fairly standard in Arena FPS games, although you get extremes on both ends. Here's some Reflex players cm/360 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZIwA9K7OCVUcZ4id7wb0UPpo_iJWghO55BU1H3ERCrg/edit#gid=1053392502

Also we did a video a few months ago explaining the bare bones of an Arena FPS duel game is. Hopefully it's in a short enough format that it's not too boring:

But specifics between CS and Reflex besides positioning being important in both there isn't a great deal of overlap. 

Gilanguar, the new voice of Ivona Text-To-Speech app. 

I'm one such person. The number one thing I learned when playing this(i still suck) is that this game is completely different and really the only transferable skills from CS are crosshair placement and aim.

On 3/5/2016 at 10:36 AM, A. Benz said:

Those 2 games barely share any similarities gameplay-wise besides the point-of-view. Aiming is totally different, movement .... the only thing i can think of is: "listen to sounds carefully". Everything else is just way too different, so there's no point in a CS:GO -> Reflex-Trainsition-Guide, because it'd basically be just a Reflex-Guide :P

11 minutes ago, BattleSnacks said:

I'm one such person. The number one thing I learned when playing this(i still suck) is that this game is completely different and really the only transferable skills from CS are crosshair placement and aim.

They are completely different games. Hence the value of a transition guide. The point of a video like this wouldn't be to teach players how to play reflex with CS:GO skills, it would be to teach how to adapt to learning differently and being successful in a different shooter environment. It's a bit more abstract that teaching someone to cj, but I believe bringing in players early with the right mindset keeps them around longer.

I know because I had to find people who made videos like this when I first tried CS:GO. It's completely unnatural compared to playing arena, and visa-versa. Reflex's largest potential player pool will come directly from CS:GO, so I'd say its a worthwhile time investment. 

I don't really see the need. It's like if you play soccor (euro football) and you want to start playing american football. Sure, some things carry over but there is not really anything to transition from. What, are you going to make a guide about how your run speed can help in the other sport? The best thing to help you here is a guide for the actual game, there is not really a transition taking place.

What I am trying to say is that anything that would be said in a specific thing like this could be said better and directed to a more general audience in a normal reflex guide. The things that would be advised in a transition guide could be taken into account and help any player, not just counter strike ones, removing the need for this specificity.

cs players understand the movement really quickly, since the A D movement in CS is basically the same, only  abit harder.
The most important thing to mention in a guide for CS players, is that they shouldnt try to jump with mousewheel  ;)

On 6.3.2016 at 6:13 PM, tangy said:

Raise sensitivity. csgo players use way too low of a sensitivity anyways.

I actually have to raise sensitivity from reflex to csgo if i play it. So that kinda doesnt apply to everyone :)

From my experience, the big things are telling them to watch a movement tutorial since they tend to only know how to ad bhop, let them know they can strafe aim and they should practice it, telling them they cannot just take aim duels and win if they have low hp (in cs you can usually 1 tap people so fighting with low hp isn't as bad as it is in reflex), and then the usual afps stuff like when one weapon is used over another, how the armor system works, item timing, etc. 

Off the top of my head, although I don't know CS:GO but I know the basics..

1) Movement is totally different. Learn on Parkour Station and Reflextrain, for now. Ask the friendly race guys for tips (watch my videos if you want!). It's like 50% of the game perhaps, you gotta move smooth and fast for item control, evasion, interception...

2) Probably will need higher sensitivity, due to the movement, more rapid turning, 180 turns etc - try mouse accel if you're used to very low sensitivity. You don't need to turn fast in CS as I understand it, so that's a major difference. I constantly look around and 'check my six' when playing. And of course some people use higher FOV.

3) Item control, especially for 1v1. It's a major part of the game. Learn respawn times, learn routes.

4) Learn the jumps in maps. They can be very useful and give you a big advantage. Of course, you'll need to do #1 first

5) Learn the stealth aspect of the game (don't make sound) and learn how to listen to figure out where people are.

6) I might think of more later...

Actually reflex and csgo actually share some concepts except in different form. For example map control and positioning. In csgo having the correct positioning allows you to take favorable fights which is exactly the same as in reflex. Controlling areas of the map to force other players to act in certain ways also happens in CSGO and reflex. Item control would need to be learned brand new as well as movement. But a lot of the overarching strategy is a bit similar. Like usually in CS you can take fights that are noncommittal and mostly just for info. That's similar to chipping away a stack of the in control player as the out of control player.

On 3/6/2016 at 11:46 AM, klyph0rd said:

cs players regularly play on 45cm/360 slightly lower & higher is the most common sens for cs players. 

I think it would be cool if there were a video for like... Overwatch to Arena FPS, and as a Reflex fan, I of course would love for Reflex to be a primary example. A lot of opportunities for "this is what's cool about arena FPS versus being told to switch to healer and pocket someone".

Honestly it's an interesting idea - although probably more academic than a guide.

For instance positional advantage, map control, the 'game of information', when to avoid engagements, passivity vs activity, learning to push an advantage (stack or numbers), are all concepts used in both games - however thats probably because these are concepts of all competitive games. You can make a similar list with RTS games and even chess for instance.

Apart from shoulder peaking and understanding angles, flick (and some tracking) aim, and not making unnecessary noise, I can't think of too much that transfers between CS:GO and reflex - not to say that isn't a lot. The movement is different, rocket/projectile aim and dodging are both new skills from CS:GO.