Owl

Friendly reminder about CTF/TDM pickups

There's no secret that there's lacking public teamgames, no one wants to play with constantly rotating playersizes, people dropping in and out, no communication and what have you. There's also the lack of som QoL improvements in teamgames, Ammo, dropping, flagdrag, lack of maps and whatever excuse people will come up with to not play teamgames. However, since the ctf update both the EU and NA scene have been doing pickups in varying degree of sucess and playerbase, So this is a friendly reminder that if you go to the reflex discord and type !add ctf / !add tdm (or other variants) into the #pickup-na and #pickup-eu channel, we might get more regular games :)

With all the "silly nonsense" that I call it that trouble teamgames, playing pickups with strategies and voice communication is actually really fun and helps you get to know the community better. Don't worry if it sounds stressfull and you are worried about your skills. We use a captain system and we try to get as even teams as possible, and we're all willing to teach.We just want to play the game we love and have a good time.

So hop on discord and join the fun. Hopefully some of the regulars can write more poetic and jazzy so we can get the scene booming. 

<3

I'm planning on hosting/streaming a mini game night this weekend (NA). I was hoping to get some bigger games going, easier to get involvement with a stream and whatnot. I'll be sure to use this, I was wondering how the pickup bot worked. Thanks!

Thank you for writing that up Xero :) . And I can totally understand the frustration of being the leader of a head of headless chickens, but just keep reinforcing the basics and hopefully we will see better gameplay and teamplayers in no time. I have myself only like 1-2 months of QL CTF experience way back in the beta, the rest of my teamgaming career have been TF2. A good reflex pickup really spark up the joy I had playing competetive teamgames in my youth. 

Anyways, I hope more people dare to try out a few pickups, and I'm not talking about bringing in cpm pickup veterans :) . There's a place for many varying playstyles and skills, also in the communication department. Old or new, come play pickups pls I dont want to duel forever :>

I really hope more Players will join the Pickup Channel in the Future. As a Beginner @ Arena FPS i like (A)TDM or CTF much more then Duel (lacking Movement / Timing skills).

So here I am, willing to learn :)

Hopefully we could get a few games tonight. See you Guys soon.

Greetings,

sensi

P.S.: !add CTF , !add TDM :D

On 3/9/2016 at 4:33 PM, xero said:

I'm not really sure why people aren't playing CTF, but I think it's because of the lack of experience

That is why but maybe not exactly in the way you think about it.  There is no casual CTF scene.  Most players need to play that Team FFA to learn in an environment that is more suited to their skill level.  Most players never have interest in competitive nor advance past this state of play.  In years past players could join giant public CTF games where teams were like 12v12 or more.  It was chaos but fun.  Good public CTFers eventually wanted more and started joining the competitive or private pickup scenes.  Trying to start players in pickup games is terrible.  It is hard on everyone both the new players and veterans.

On 3/9/2016 at 4:33 PM, xero said:
  • CTF actually has CLASSIC maps that are competition ready -- these maps are some of the best in any variation of the mode in every game ever made.

I agree with all your points except this one.  I have no interest playing against players who have years of experience playing on old maps.  Nor do I want to replay maps I myself already played in past games.  The map pool for Reflex CTF is a critical weakness.

I'm just waiting to see how the game develops.  Trying to force growth in CTF or any other mode is going to be an almost impossible task and extremely frustrating unless there is a good amount of players to draw upon.  Currently Reflex doesn't have enough players to warrant any kind of competitive scene for TDM/CTF/etc.

12 hours ago, xero said:

With respect to maps... Sorry but I disagree. Existing maps already have a meta which newer players can refer too, experienced players can tell new players how to play in very specific situation.

In my (duel) experience, that doesn't really teach you anything. When I played CPM, I watched a lot of demos of top level players playing top level players and I would try to do what they did, figuring it was the 'right' way to play. Anyone I played in CPM can attest to the fact I was terrible at it (you can even watch Terifire's twitch vod from a few days ago and see for yourself). When I started playing Reflex, I had to learn new maps without the luxury of years of demos at my disposal. I had to think for myself and I learned more in 6 months than I did in two years of playing CPM. Imitation is not the gateway to true understanding in my experience, yet it quickly becomes the norm when you don't have a fresh map pool. Perhaps things are very different when it comes to CTF, I'm still a complete noob at it so what do I know.

with all my respect towards whoever is pulling the strings for the pickups, the game should do this via UI, at some point. Why do i have to go to discord, irc or whatever to play reflex? I'll play team games when the infrastructure of the game is better (like matchmaking and gameplay features for teamplay). I don't mind playing the random CTF match tho, but i prefer doing it with my friends/team; communication is better and the stuff that happens is overall more enjoyable, when you play with strangers, it isn't the same: Tell me any of you how many times you solo in dota2/csgo if you are a casual. Rarely.

As I said, the game needs to give some love to team modes so people will be more encouraged to play them, no need to label some players as "duelers" just because they don't usually play CTF. The only somewhat "finished" gametype is duel due to its simplicity.

let's not forget we are in early access and 0.39.3. Lot of stuff is missing from the game.

I think there are 3 reasons ctf sucks right now

1. You cannot have good binds, to say your pickup, or location, %l %s %whatever , there is nothing you can use so it is hard to help team or think about things
  2. You cannot play from linux, most people probably do not want to switch operating system just to play
  3. You cannot join from IRC, most people use irc and can't join pickup from IRC. 

my suggestion is for if you so like both, maybe make the bot let you add from irc then it adds you discord is main thing but BOT is server, the discord and irc adds you to from

also EU players suck at ctf, just sit rail on 3 in base and wonder why flag gets stolen so easy hahah

46 minutes ago, sawa said:

I think there are 3 reasons ctf sucks right now

1. You cannot have good binds, to say your pickup, or location, %l %s %whatever , there is nothing you can use so it is hard to help team or think about things
  2. You cannot play from linux, most people probably do not want to switch operating system just to play
  3. You cannot join from IRC, most people use irc and can't join pickup from IRC. 

my suggestion is for if you so like both, maybe make the bot let you add from irc then it adds you discord is main thing but BOT is server, the discord and irc adds you to from

also EU players suck at ctf, just sit rail on 3 in base and wonder why flag gets stolen so easy hahah

"most people"?
People using Linux or irc doesn't really have anything to do with ctf..

Just now, promEUs said:

"most people"?
People using Linux or irc doesn't really have anything to do with ctf..

well you don't get any players and need players for ctf playing so

1 minute ago, sawa said:

well you don't get any players and need players for ctf playing so

Neither irc or Linux is hardly the places to get new players. Sure some people who use Linux would play, but they are in the vast minority of people.
Also the ctf pickups have been more actively lately than its ever been..

Just now, promEUs said:

Neither irc or Linux is hardly the places to get new players. Sure some people who use Linux would play, but they are in the vast minority of people.
Also the ctf pickups have been more actively lately than its ever been..

probably 80-90% of players xonotic using linux, with ARENAFPS game is like half players are linux using, and like 90-95% using irc probably.  playing with 1 game is so active haha, there is ctf games months ago on IRC, many games a day.

BIG BLOCK LETTERS OF OPINION TOTALLY HELP PLAYER COUNT BRUV!!!!

U can make binds to any keys so #1 is null.

#2? Well, use your awesome LAMP skills to put together a well running Wine installation or a figure out a wrapper.....  sudo apt-get good m8

As far as #3,, there is a running pickup bot in Discord, which is where the Reflex players seem to have moved to. 

2 minutes ago, Gangland said:

BIG BLOCK LETTERS OF OPINION TOTALLY HELP PLAYER COUNT BRUV!!!!

U can make binds to any keys so #1 is null.

#2? Well, use your awesome LAMP skills to put together a well running Wine installation or a figure out a wrapper.....  sudo apt-get good m8

As far as #3,, there is a running pickup bot in Discord, which is where the Reflex players seem to have moved to. 

I mean bind for actual information, like to say if I瓶bind x %l %t TOOK ARMOR to say my location, time of taking armor, or location I spot efc, or location I am needing help with flag.  say "HIGH/LOW" fucking useless!! haha

I don't bother steam wine, if maybe was not steam I would try but only care osu not steam haha, I would just switch windows because FPS game shit on wine, I used some other game and so hard haha especially because my computer is suck so can't do anything

and I use game on discord bot, I just say so many people IRC would probably prefer, if BOT server could load players on both IRC and discord to find games, very stupid to have to use discord.  If you want to be able discord, should at least let IRC work too....

6 hours ago, sawa said:

1. ...there is nothing you can use...

I dunno discord has voice you know. And there is/was a reflex channel on quakenet and its dead. if people didnt want to use discord they would have just stayed there when discord was introduced to this community. I also think only very few of the millions playing ctf pickups on irc with access to only linux computers would really be interested in reflex... like 3 or so.

Just now, NeuerGolf said:

I dunno discord has voice you know. And there is/was a reflex channel on quakenet and its dead. if people didnt want to use discord they would have just stayed there when discord was introduced to this community. I also think only very few of the millions playing ctf pickups on irc with access to only linux computers wouldnt really be interested in reflex... like 3 or so.

Voice in computer game? haha, how would I be able to hear sound then?  usually on pickup now I just mute my team because I can't understand their talking anyway, I'm not fast to think about how to say something, and I湾want to hear enemy , than push my bind for it.  There is dead channel because everyone use discord haha, you won't get new players because no irc now, people who like IRC don't say so because "lol current year x--D" and don't complain to go to reddit.  There are over 200 people in xonotic pickup channel any time, and majority are using linux.  There so many people who play ONLY XONOTIC because there are no other games on linux usable for arenafps good.....

A friendly little bump to remind everybody about the pickup channels. We've been having some activity in #pickups-eu across all modes now that summer is starting to wind down and there are some newer players around as well, so this is the perfect time to start adding up, or testing your maps!