Question

Hello!
I'd like to play in fast paced shooters for a long time. I've started with Quake Live, now I've got Reflex.
But I have the same issues as always. I'm really silly with movements. Of course I looked up for guides(from Kovaak and others), did some practice and pure playing, although I'm still very bad at all.

Here is a demo video, where I'm trying some movements. Can you watch it please and give me some guidance?

12 answers to this question

Also, in addition to what skytoon mentions, something I noticed is the tiny amount of time you are holding the jump key. Notice the jump keys length of press in both your video and skytoons. Skytoon seems to be holding jump for perhaps 50 percent of the time when moving, where as you are only tapping jump at the moment you land on the ground. How jump works in reflex is that one jump can be "preloaded" - as in, if you tap jump once and then immediately press and hold jump before you land, you will automatically jump when you land. but only the once. Because you are not preloading jump you are getting stuttering in your speed/acceleration.

Instead of flicking them mouse then letting go of a side strafe, keep holding them down, I'll post a video on it later if you need.

Edit: here you go 

Keep in mind i'm not the best, but here's a preview of whats the right way.

your circle jump is too fast, and once u jumped u need to transition into a smooth and strafe-like mouse movement. So you do your 90 degrees, jump, and once u jump you start moving the mouse in the strafe direction slowly.

You also need to remember that the faster you go, the bigger the angle of the flick has to be. In short, you have to turn more and more towads strafe direction the faster you are.

One thing that might help you a lot is installing the strafe huds (cheetaHUD i think its called) or the version that koovaak has, once done, you will have to keep the green line vertically above your crosshair whenever you strafe and your good to go. Honestly that helped me a lot with learning strafe angles and stuff and surely you could benefit a lot from it too

Anyway the basics are there, you are not far from being able to strafe jump properly :)

21 hours ago, Ammazzabanane said:

your circle jump is too fast, and once u jumped u need to transition into a smooth and strafe-like mouse movement. So you do your 90 degrees, jump, and once u jump you start moving the mouse in the strafe direction slowly.

There's a sweet spot turning speed, if you're too fast you lose speed and if you're too slow you don't get as much speed. Best way to indicate success is the speedometer and it's simple, more speed means you're doing it better. Doesn't matter what direction you're looking at as long as you get the curves and turning right. Find the technique you're personally the most comfortable with.

On 18-4-2016 at 2:34 AM, armitagebron said:

and I lose it quickly. 

Are you using scrollwheel to jump? If so, you are using a damn load of speed because of that. Try rebinding it to spacebar (or preferably mouse2) and hold it well before hitting the ground so there is no way you lose speed with it.

In your video it looks like you are tapping the jump button after you land. You should hold down the jump key before every landing to ensure that you jump as soon as you land, that way, you won't lose any speed. As The Piep has already said, mouse2 tends to be the most preferable jump key. Try it.

9 hours ago, Smilecythe said:

There's a sweet spot turning speed, if you're too fast you lose speed and if you're too slow you don't get as much speed. Best way to indicate success is the speedometer and it's simple, more speed means you're doing it better. Doesn't matter what direction you're looking at as long as you get the curves and turning right. Find the technique you're personally the most comfortable with.

I hate you. In the most loving way. :P

On 19.04.2016 at 7:09 PM, The Piep said:

Are you using scrollwheel to jump? If so, you are using a damn load of speed because of that. Try rebinding it to spacebar (or preferably mouse2) and hold it well before hitting the ground so there is no way you lose speed with it.

I've used the MOUSE2 for jumping all time long.