Hello,

I came across an idea where there would be some sort of in-game prefab editor, where you can edit a prefab, similar to the blueprint editor viewport in Unreal Engine 4, or perhaps just toggling a prefab to be editable in sync with all other of the same name. This would make it much easier to edit large numbers of prefabs in one go, rather than deleting all prefabs and creating a new one from scratch. This would also make it easy to enable creating variants of one prefab, such as creating a prefab for a building, then duplicating it, saving it as a different prefab, then editing it again.

You already can edit prefabs, although it's a little cumbersome.

1. Select your prefab / Make a copy of it

2. Set it's rotation to 0, 0, 0

3. While it's still selected, type me_breakprefab in the console.

4. Now everything is separated, change it as you wish.

5. Once you're done editing it, select everything again and type me_updateprefab <prefabname>

6. All prefabs with that name will now be updated in the map.

Depending how much you modify it(Like it's overall size changes), sometimes this can change the snap point of your prefab and all the prefabs in your map may need to be realigned after you update them.

4 hours ago, nyro said:

5. Once you're done editing it, select everything again and type me_updateprefab <prefabname>

Depending how much you modify it(Like it's overall size changes), sometimes this can change the snap point of your prefab and all the prefabs in your map may need to be realigned after you update them.

Ah thanks! That helped a lot :D

15 hours ago, nyro said:

A better solution I've found is to not copy the existing prefab, but manually placing a new one and modify/update that one

53 minutes ago, TornadoStorm said:

What do you mean?

Placing a new prefab entity then doing a me_breakprefab that one and then a me_updateprefab to that one is a cleaner way to update all the existing prefabs on the map without worrying about them getting displaced

Just now, promEUs said:

Placing a new prefab entity then doing a me_breakprefab that one and then a me_updateprefab to that one is a cleaner way to update all the existing prefabs on the map without worrying about them getting displaced

Ah alright :D