Warven

Getting votekicked from a public server

Elef4nt, you and the others are not special snowflakes, kicking someone from a random public server, just because you don't want to play with other people (which defeat the point of a public server) is NOT an acceptable behaviour.

Plenty of servers you say ? Well when I launched the game a few hours ago, their was only one a1v1 server with people on it. And guess what, it was Premium and Outer, kicked me right away. Again. No reason given. And this makes you all look like major douchebags.

Just be a functionning adult and ask politely. 

18 minutes ago, Warven said:

Elef4nt, you and the others are not special snowflakes, kicking someone from a random public server, just because you don't want to play with other people (which defeat the point of a public server) is NOT an acceptable behaviour.

Plenty of servers you say ? Well when I launched the game a few hours ago, their was only one a1v1 server with people on it. And guess what, it was Premium and Outer, kicked me right away. Again. No reason given. And this makes you all look like major douchebags.

Just be a functionning adult and ask politely. 

i dont want to imply that we're special snowflakes. ._.

it actually should be acceptable because its so easy to avoid, just like i said.

"callvote mode a1v1"
look for empty servers, setup your game and play. thats the way its meant to be. thats why ther IS the option. thats why i say there is plenty of servers.
callvote man.

this thread shows the power of that command.

ill check back tomorrow.
have a good night y'all.

2 hours ago, Elef4nt said:

third: and i say it a third time aswell: there is plenty of servers, its so easy to avoid the problem (us) for you, but not for us to setup a server that has a fair environment.

There are plenty of servers but not plenty of players. Having people join the server you're playing on in the hopes of a game, only to be kicked by you, is a waste of both people's time. It is not easy to avoid and I don't see how you can say that - there is no way to see who's playing on a server in game and you'd have to recognise your nicks as well, something new players especially aren't going to do. I think you have to consider here that since you're on public servers, you're disturbing the joiners just as much as they do you.

Maybe there's even some friendly person that can loan you a server to play on? Otherwise you can easily rent a server for very cheap, and hosting yourself is always an option. If you're only two, there should be a good bunch of 2 slot servers around too.

Its a waste of about ten seconds from joining to leaving - i think that's acceptable - especially because both sides commit that time.

You're right, if a player joins the server and gets kicked that thats annoying, tho i still think its easy to join a different server and set it up the way you want.

We're not capable of occupying all the servers at a time. Its just one. If you want to play a1v1, just do it and find your opponents. It seems like 'we're' not the only ones enjoying that mode, as this thread shows aswell. 

The real problem is not - i want to get rid of the technical stuff - that we're using that one server, its more that people get offended for beeing kicked without a reason given and i want to apologize for that crap while pointing out the possibility to setup another server as there are enough.

This issue is actually not worth all the energy invested into it from both sides cus in the end we all need to find people to play with under the circumstance we desire.

Edit: no one should be forced to play with person x, just because its a pub server.

Edit2: ique, we're three people...

Edit3: you know, whats funny? This thread starts with "everytime i join a pub a1v1 server" - there are none. They are set up by us and you can do that aswell.

1 hour ago, Elef4nt said:

We're not capable of occupying all the servers at a time. Its just one. If you want to play a1v1, just do it and find your opponents. It seems like 'we're' not the only ones enjoying that mode, as this thread shows aswell. 

You're right, you're not the only ones enjoying that mode, you're the only ones kicking players because special snowflakes status though.

1 hour ago, Elef4nt said:

Edit3: you know, whats funny? This thread starts with "everytime i join a pub a1v1 server" - there are none. They are set up by us and you can do that aswell.

Yeah ok, wording. "Every time I join a pub server with Premium, Outer or Elef4nt". Better ?

Seriously, did you even tried to host a private server on one of your machine ? You're all from Germany, don't tell me you all have 1mbps ADSL lines... At least try that before taking a public server all to yourself on a game that is still in EA.

5 hours ago, Elef4nt said:

Edit: no one should be forced to play with person x, just because its a pub server.

Also no-one should be kicked from the server, because it's a public server. I would understand this behavior if I snitched password to your private server. There is no logic in that you could own something public, just because you were there first. It's okay if you don't want to play with someone, but they should not be the ones who get kicked because your personal problems over playing with other people than 2 of your friends. As I stated before, you should be willing to share the remaining slots if you are using the public servers.

Also the thing is that you take the servers that is clearly made for more than 2 or 3 people and with some weird logic thinking that no-one else should join because privileged " Premium, Outer or Elef4nt" happen to play there already. Don't you really see how twisted this is ? :D

Play in public server - There will be other people

Play in private server - There will be no other people

Due to the fact that you're liking each others posts and appear to feel the same way, maybe you (tumpperi and warven) should add each other on steam and occupy some pub servers using my previously advertised command.

I recommend the private message feature in this forum to do so.

Btw, i looked it up, just to be sure:

All snowflakes are special.

Also: 

Our choices if person x but us joins the server are to leave ourselves or kick (assuming you dont own a server and dont want someone else in game).

Which one would you choose?

1 minute ago, Elef4nt said:

Btw, i looked it up, just to be sure:

All snowflakes are special.

Also: 

Our choices if person x but us joins the server are to leave ourselves or kick (assuming you dont own a server and dont want someone else in game).

Which one would you choose?

I would choose to host my own private server so that others can't bother me :)

Just now, Duck said:

I would choose to host my own private server so that others can't bother me :)

We dont for previously mentioned reasons regarding lag and fairness issues.

Tho, we're on it to setup a dedicated one at this very moment... still needs some tweaking tho :/

Hey,

at first I felt like I have to appologize for kicking you instantly. Now I feel like I would do it again without conscience.

Telling us we can host our own private server with the options given by the game itself is like telling you to stop playing the game when you get kicked. It's as usefull as a potato to open a door. You all know the latency issues, if it would even be possible without undressing your pc for the whole internet.

Furthermore reading your comments makes me thinking Outer, Elefant and me joining pub servers to kick helpless players who are waiting for friends to play with.

It's a fact we always join an empty server, set gamemode to a1v1 and start playing. If the score is 10/11 or something and someone joins it is like you are playing normal 1v1 and it instantly becomes a free-for-all for the last minute.

Just take a moment and think about how it is if you join a normal 1v1 server.

For the ones who can't:

1. You join

2. You see the game still lasts 10 min

3. You leave

Now imagine the situation you join an a1v1 server:

1. You join

2. Your see 2 players dueling each other

3. You get kicked

Same result, same amount of time wasted :/

And for the ones who are thinking three people occupy that one reflex server who is online for all players:

We always pick an empty server and there are always server left to play on.

At least

No offense, just want to get rid of people starting the third world war when they get kicked from a server where a duel is on fire ;)

259541-acid_picdump_34.jpg

if you were to hog a streetball court all day telling people to piss off and use a different court you'd get bummed in your gob pretty quickly, but of course the very nature of the internet is protecting you punks. get a fucking private server, that's ten bucks per month split between three people and stop spewing that "mimimi we're civilized adults" crap

7EXGILD.jpg

10 minutes ago, goochie said:

if you were to hog a streetball court all day telling people to piss off and use a different court you'd get bummed in your gob pretty quickly, but of course the very nature of the internet is protecting you punks. get a fucking private server, that's ten bucks per month split between three people and stop spewing that "mimimi we're civilized adults" crap

If there were 5 free streetball courts we would leave the one you joined and take an empty one. But of course the internet is crowded with people who wants to add their mustard.

to use your example in a proper way: no we wouldnt have to build our own streetball court, because there are just 4 more free streetball courts ;)

Well, looks like a new hot topic :D

Everyone seems to be spitting fire.

This topic seems like gray area for me personally, but...

...Just something to think about is team size callvote. In quake you can call vote team size. So if you want 2v2 in 6 slot public server. Callvote teamsize 4 and you practically have a private server. Since 2 random people couldn't change teamsize.

Would that be a huge issue there? I mean that would be practically same thing, just without kicking. 

If everyone is okay with callvote teamsize then just add callvote  teamsize, and whoala fixed ;)

I just think people should be able to play game however they want.

5 minutes ago, Premium said:

If there were 5 free streetball courts we would leave the one you joined and take an empty one. But of course the internet is crowded with people who wants to add their mustard.

to use your example in a proper way: no we wouldnt have to build our own streetball court, because there are just 4 more free streetball courts ;)

of course german logic works once again to counter my argument. you're still telling people to piss off right away, so don't wonder when they go "look, it's those fuckers again". usually people rent courts if they don't want to be bugged and play in private, street courts (public server) are for random matchups. you don't have to build anything, you're just being a cheap bunch of douchebags.

1 hour ago, goochie said:

of course german logic works once again to counter my argument. you're still telling people to piss off right away, so don't wonder when they go "look, it's those fuckers again". usually people rent courts if they don't want to be bugged and play in private, street courts (public server) are for random matchups. you don't have to build anything, you're just being a cheap bunch of douchebags.

I think kicking people from server is huge dickery, but if you are in a public, that doesn't mean that you want to talk with every people you meet too right? let's call it public private space :D

People can also see people in private tennis court and say: Look at those rich bastards, we're too bad for them! :o

I think problem is not the server, since they join empty ones, but that people want to play with them and they don't.

The example with public courts is bad since, when you and friend is already playing match, you don't expect random people to join you and at that very second start playing too.

Imagine 2v2 basketball match and random dude just starts throwing ball while you're playing. What would you do?

EDIT: Disturbing on going public basketball match is as rude as not letting people play with you after the match. I'm just saying that public sports are bad comparison with online games etiquette. They are very different.

I feel like this issue could be merge to Reflex etiquette as a whole. For example unbalancing teams in team modes? Last joined player going to spectatator, not joining match until there is another player joining too. I think there could be some community guidelines available in-game for all people to see, to make public games more enjoyable for everyone. 

P.s. I don't support those 3 either, kicking people is pretty dicky thing to do, but have to be objective to a level :)

As previously mentioned, we're working on it.

I like the way grybzt described it since it very nicely gives a picture to what it feels like getting 'randomly disturbed' in your semiprivate tournament.

Thanks for your participation in the discussion.

I think the serverbrowser needs to take this in consideration.

For now the serverbrowser only tells that there is servers, with or without people, with this map and mode being played. 

It should be more like: Do you with or without your friend(s) want to play? What mode? How many players? What map? Do you want to be interrupted?, causal play or dead serious? preferred skill? You perhaps wants to play with your friend and fill the server with other people?

Focus on the options of game not the servers. Like someone said. You can callvote mode, so the servers that is listed is all arena servers. Not just those that is listed as "arena" 

17 hours ago, Elef4nt said:

elef4nt, i hope you understand (and don't take it personally) if you will be votekicked from every reflex server in existence.

On 5/3/2016 at 5:14 PM, Elef4nt said:

first: people enjoy playing on this server (we do)
second: they dont if they cant when others disrupt this (our opinion)
third: and i say it a third time aswell: there is plenty of servers, its so easy to avoid the problem (us) for you, but not for us to setup a server that has a fair environment.

we dont feel privileged, we behave this way because of bad experience shows that a1v1's cant be played with proper score when people join randomly.

fourth... the main point: ofc you're right to say its a pub server and it shouldnt be abused this way. sorry to have insulted you, but i think even out of your posted screenshots its pretty obvious that i was giving my perspective twice even in this single argument. you could have reacted properly.

this argument as a whole is not about the issue itself i feel like. its more about the principle who's right here... and i dont think either side can really claim that right for themselves.

so i respectingly ask you for a draw and to accept that both our behaviours have their flaws.

is that fair for you?

PM me, I will give you guys a free server in Germany to prevent you potentially ruining people playing on public servers.

And to answer your question, no, it's not fair to anyone you kick. That should be common sense, you don't get to ruin others experience because you're too ignorant to setup a server for yourselves to play on.

This community is small enough.

5 hours ago, Linden said:

PM me, I will give you guys a free server in Germany to prevent you potentially ruining people playing on public servers.

And to answer your question, no, it's not fair to anyone you kick. That should be common sense, you don't get to ruin others experience because you're too ignorant to setup a server for yourselves to play on.

This community is small enough.

See Elef4nt, Premium and Outer ? You are so blind to how wrong you are (even after multiple people gave you examples, analogy and such), that it makes a stand up dude like Linden offer to gives you a whole freakin' server to yourselves so you'll stop being toxic for the community. How about that for an example, huh ?