Sign in to follow this  
Stral

Circlejump Stats

Hi, I made a widget for those who wish to improve their circlejumping, it tells you how fast your prestrafe and overall speed after the circlejump was.  It's pretty bad and may screw up now and then due to the dodgy way it checks things, but it should work well on flat ground for practicing. Feel free to modify it if you're a coder, and any advice on the code inside appreciated!

What it shows

The top number is your prestrafe speed, the bottom is your end circlejump speed. The prestrafe speed will reset to 0 once you hit the ground, but will be printed to console along with your circlejump speed. I'll adjust this at some point to keep it on screen for a bit in some form, perhaps show a list of the last 10 jumps somewhere on the HUD.

The on-screen text will colour based on your performance, basically compared against mine (I'm bad but probably better than a lot of new players.), here are the ranges:

Prestrafe

> 419 BLACK

420-439 RED

440-464 YELLOW

465-479 GREEN

480-490 BLUE (I've never hit this, don't know if it's possible)

Circlejump

> 499  BLACK

500-539 RED

540-569 YELLOW

570-589 GREEN

590-600 BLUE (I've never hit this, don't know if it's possible)

Beware that circlejumping over a gap and on flat ground are a bit different due to being able to step up onto platforms.

circlejumpStatPicture1.jpg

CirclejumpStat.lua

4 hours ago, Ramagan said:

Would be nice to have a "jump off" and "landing" display for blocks jumping and maybe sounds according to the jump distance :D

What exactly do you mean by this?

3 hours ago, Smilecythe said:

I did not realize the ground/air accel was changed. It used to be possible to get 510 ups on ground. At least 480 is still possible. 

I'm finding it very difficult to get above 470 on the ground. I used to hit 600 in defrag now and then, but it's not happening in reflex at all.

6 hours ago, Stral said:

I'm finding it very difficult to get above 470 on the ground. I used to hit 600 in defrag now and then, but it's not happening in reflex at all.

It's all about the sweet spot curve, not the speed, not the angle, not even the keys that you're pressing. Just the curve, like in defrag. It's just slightly different.

Easiest way to practice it is to just spin around in an open space.

On 4/28/2016 at 7:09 PM, Smilecythe said:

It's all about the sweet spot curve, not the speed, not the angle, not even the keys that you're pressing. Just the curve, like in defrag. It's just slightly different.

Easiest way to practice it is to just spin around in an open space.

Explain in further detail please. For the circlejumpally challenged.

5 hours ago, lisk said:

Explain in further detail please. For the circlejumpally challenged.

All the engine cares about is that you do the circle properly, not what keys you're pressing. Turn your speedometer on, spin around on the floor using different keys and you'll notice that you gain speed the same way as long as the circle is optimal. Some people might find doing circle jumps with W only easier than with W+A or D. I know a few TF2 players who do circle jumps better with A or D only. Find out what suits you best. 

14 hours ago, lisk said:

Man, I'm hitting 440 consistently but above that is a pain.  Circlejumpally challengedd indeed. I don't get the curve.

Nah, you're doing okay. Easiest way to test the max speed is to run against a wall diagonally and try to find an angle that speeds you up the most. Max ups I got was 461... It used to be around 510 before and even just a while ago it was around 480. Not sure when that happened, but it did apparently. So you're about 20 ups off from what's theoretically possible I think. I was bored so I made some quick max speed (estimates) measures in different games for reference: 

• Reflex ~461
  • CPMA ~485
  • Xonotic ~540
  • Nexuiz ~412
  • Warsow ~382
  • Quake Live ~400
  • Quakeworld ~483
  • Doombringer ~485

Keep in mind tho, the speed is measured by map units per second and the unit scales are different across games.