Sign in to follow this  
430AM

Materials Question

I'm attempting to build a map, and can't seem to... today... assign a material or color to a brush.

I assume it's something simple that I'm overlooking.

I select a brush, right now just a simple cube. I then open the content browser, select a material and click on that material. Nothing happens to the brush that I can tell, but this closes the browser.

Similarly, I can open the color dialog, choose a color, then click the 'accept' button, for which I hear a confirmation sound, but nothing happens or changes with the brush.

Any help is much appreciated.

You'll need to bind a key to me_setmaterial in order to paint brushes with materials.

I'd recommend also binding a key to me_getmaterial, so that you can pick materials from existing brushes.

You can hold down the face-button (+editorfacemode) to color or grab colors from specific faces on a brush.

Awesome. Thanks for the quick reply.

One more question... something that's escaping me.

I've successfully made a working jump-pad. How do I change its appearance from the default green stripes with "jumppad" copy written across it?

50 minutes ago, 430AM said:

How do I change its appearance from the default green stripes with "jumppad" copy written across it?

You can't change the material of the jump pad unfortunately since it's sort of tied to its "ability". Best option is to put the jump pad brush inside of the jump pad mesh which you can find in the object browser or stylizing it without the aid of a mesh like what can be seen in these screenshots

bQrgWFU.png

Hate to be such a newb... but I don't see how to do either of those.

I found the jumpad in the material browser, in the list on the left, but there's no 'material' or mesh associated with it that I can see.

I'll load up some other maps that have this done already to see if I can figure it out on my own, but if the explanation is simple, please enlighten me. :)

The green jump-pad material is still place holder atm. If you place an effect, you can assign the jump-pad mesh (or any mesh really) from the content browser and just place it over the top of the green jump-pad you built. Meshes have no collision and are just a visual thing so they wont effect how your jump-pad works.

Or you can use brushes to build your own custom design around the jump-pad like in the pictures Nathan linked above :)

Got it. Thanks much for your help.

This is really a lot of fun.

I have to run to the grocery... but I'll leave the server up for a bit while I'm gone if anyone would like to see my particularly unconventional map.

Server name, "Fracturezone", map name "Rocketslob".