Sign in to follow this  
Grybzt

Server map pool

Hi,

Issue: Maps are not correctly labeled, what makes Workshop very unorganized.

Solution: Give option to make Workshop collections as map pools for servers.

When calling map vote, automatically would be selected server's map collection (would be put in "order by" section) , but other maps would be free to choose as well.

Servers could force selected map list collection with line such as :

sv_mapcollection #someid 

I think this would do multiple good things:

• Make maps more organised
  • Different servers could prefer different maps
  • Would be easier to promote new maps
  • Map pools would be automatically updated across all servers

Would love to hear what you guys think :)

22 minutes ago, promEUs said:

I do believe the part about "curated workshop" in the roadmap is to address the workshop being messy

But we don't know how it will work. It's one sentence and after that it's more about widgets in workshop. So I still posted this idea here :)

Heh i've talked to promEUs about a solution in the past, I think some wires have been crossed.

"Curated workshop" is the ability for users to submit their own items to the workshop (like in csgo / tf2). I'm not entirely sure what we'll allow from the beginning but things like lua scripts, melee cosmetics are in this list.

As for the workshop situation, I've been talking with some (including promeus) about having a "featured" or "staff pick" flag or something similar, and giving those maps viewing priority over others. I'm still thinking this through but at this stage I think it would help a lot.

We DO have rotations right now, where you can list a map rotation. But it's quite under-used and it's really nullified by the ease of players voting - which is why I think cleaning up the voting is the way to address things :)

45 minutes ago, shooter said:

Heh i've talked to promEUs about a solution in the past, I think some wires have been crossed.

As for the workshop situation, I've been talking with some (including promeus) about having a "featured" or "staff pick" flag or something similar, and giving those maps viewing priority over others. I'm still thinking this through but at this stage I think it would help a lot.

Ah, must've mixed up curated workshop with "featured"

58 minutes ago, shooter said:

Very excited to see how everything will turn out :)

58 minutes ago, shooter said:

I like the idea. But I would still love that people on their own could choose map lists themselves to be featured in their server. With mutators coming, there will be too many lists and staff pick wouldn't satisfy a lot of people (including me probably :D ).

There is reason why in other games so many different servers have different map rotations. Staff pick is good as default, but give option to community lists too :)

Loving the job you guys are doing :) Keep it up ! ;)

4 hours ago, Grybzt said:

I like the idea. But I would still love that people on their own could choose map lists themselves to be featured in their server. With mutators coming, there will be too many lists and staff pick wouldn't satisfy a lot of people (including me probably :D ).

Workshop does have collections, I guess those could be used as map lists like say someone wanted to run a ffa server the players would be able (forced?) to callvote maps on that list.

1 hour ago, MAD_JIHAD said:

Workshop does have collections, I guess those could be used as map lists like say someone wanted to run a ffa server the players would be able (forced?) to callvote maps on that list.

You haven't read OP, have you? :)