mrselfdestruct

Weapon Respawn Time

Question

the weapon respawn time is not long enough in competitive mode. there is almost no way to control weapons. you kill someone and they have a rail or rocket again in seconds. the game needs more to it other than just movement and controlling mega and armors. no game ever had has such a short respawn time on weapons in duel mode. this removing an entire skill requirement that every other arena shooter like this has. the respawn time should be no less than 15 seconds imho... most games have 20-30 seconds in duel/tdm modes.

9 answers to this question

13 minutes ago, mrselfdestruct said:

no game ever had has such a short respawn time on weapons in duel mode.

Weapon respawn time in Quake 3, CPMA, and Quake Live are all 5 seconds. Reflex is 10.

fair enough. most of my duel experience comes from quake 2 and the respawn time is 30 seconds in tdm/duel...i have dueled pretty much everything tho and i guess i have never noticed on quakelive it was so low and that may be due to mapping. i could have swore in those games it was at least 15 seconds but i will take your word on it. i do however feel that it is too easy for a railer to control most maps due to rail placement. in quake games the rail would be harder to get to than map designers in reflex tend to make it. there is no risk to go for rail on most maps. this should be considered since it makes it so easy to control a map with rail. at least on say simplicity you have to do the tele or stair jump or have enough speed to make it to it. on catalyst, fusion, ruin and most others it is just laying there and there is zero risk to attain it. i just feel along the way people either got lazy or forgot that at one point in time controlling weapons was a thing in these games... :/

5 hours ago, Duck said:

Weapon respawn time in Quake 3, CPMA, and Quake Live are all 5 seconds. Reflex is 10.

I think it was actually 30 seconds in QW, Q2, Q3, Q4, CPM (duel mode). (but I'd like a source to verify this)

What I know for sure:

Weapon respawns took 5 seconds in QL, except for the RG in T4 (15 sec). QL TDM (before the update*)  had 30 second weapon respawns as well. It may have been different at the launch of the game. (*by update i mean this: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/28/quake-for-noobs-quake-live-adds-loadouts-autohopping/ )

Also note that the Q2 RG did 100 dmg, whereas the reflex Bolt Rifle does 80. I don't know exact reload times.

----------------------
*Edit: in Q4 it's definitely less than 30 sec. (the plasma gun is picked up first at 1 second and then spawns again at 21)
source:

*Edit 2:

I fired up CNQ3 and checked:
1v1        = 15 sec
vq3dm   = 5 sec
cq3dm   = 10 sec

*Edit 3:
Crossed out CPM, see DEZ's post below

ok, then i guess the resolution if any would be to allow the setting per map if this is not already possible. keep in mind that although the railgun in q2 is 100 damage it is not near as accurate. it is more of an actual projectile weapon that fires slugs as a railgun should. you have to lead people a lot more in q2. the q3/4/L/reflex railguns are way more point and click and it just seems to take away the need to use anything but rail on some maps...

1 hour ago, Duck said:

Yes please @shooter :D

Not going to happen because the competitive ruleset is supposed to be uniform across all maps. Controlling items is already a weird concept to new players, no need to make it even harder on them by every map having different spawn times.

Personally i prefer 5s respawn time in duel, a longer respawn time just makes it incredibly dull and takes all the speed out of the game. It would also be very easy to control the main weapons at 20-30s respawn time due to the fast movement speed.

Bolt projectile has been tried and it was quite frankly garbage.