Skytoon

Idea for how ranked could work

Recently I've been playing some Dota 2 and how to ranked system works is you're given an MMR based off of your skill, then every game you gain or lose 25 points based on whether you win or not, then puts you up against people who have a similar MMR than you. I think this would be a cool Idea to do in reflex, but instead of gaining or losing 25 points, it could be based on the match. Like if you finish a duel that wen 12-8, you would gain 4 points. But if you lost a game that wen 2-9, you would lose 7 points. Everyone could start at like 30 and climb from there.

I think your are the right track, but I don't think Reflex is fit for a straight k/d to mmr conversion. The nature of games leading to blowouts at small skill differentials would skew the system. It would end up creating a system where you win a game by 20+, then play someone far better who would crush you back down. Needs more normalizing.

I'd prefer a system that favored W/L with a set boost to mmr, and maybe a bonus for winning 10+ or an extra penalty for losing 10-. This buffer gives some room to make big risk plays without ruining your rank. Then mmr could be bracketed into divisions, where you could get fancy goodies to show off for being in silver, gold, platinum division mmr, etc.

Of course, solid matchmaking precedes all of this. And the system would have to be designed separately for ranked duel (the "standard") and ranked ctf/tdm. 

Great thread, I nerd out about this sort of thing. But I think this is a little too simple and like Del said, non-ideal in a game where one play could lead to a large difference in points.

Here's a (long) description of a ranking system I wrote up a while back:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kI-zF_Tvb58drK_PTnyxvZYW2o3yv4lxgyqtFxH2jso/pub

It's really just an ELO system where you 'bet' about 1/20 of your ELO each match, modified to take quitters into account. I wrote it with team gamemodes in mind, but I think it could also work pretty well for duel (team size 1).

6 hours ago, FlabCaptain said:

Great thread, I nerd out about this sort of thing. But I think this is a little too simple and like Del said, non-ideal in a game where one play could lead to a large difference in points.

Here's a (long) description of a ranking system I wrote up a while back:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kI-zF_Tvb58drK_PTnyxvZYW2o3yv4lxgyqtFxH2jso/pub

It's really just an ELO system where you 'bet' about 1/20 of your ELO each match, modified to take quitters into account. I wrote it with team gamemodes in mind, but I think it could also work pretty well for duel (team size 1).

No offense, but these things have been well studied by people with backgrounds in math and especially statistics. This is where systems like Elo, Glicko, and TrueSkill come from. You're not going to do better than them without having studied the mathematics behind them. It's a topic worth studying if this interests you though.