Sign in to follow this  
thelawenforcer

New Cup/Tournament series?

I've noticed that there is a relative lack of 1v1 cups on the european scene, despite having the biggest player base.

I am considering starting a cup series up - but with a twist. Rather than having big monthly cups, or whatever, the idea would be to run small, regular (almost daily) tournaments with 16 players (32 at the weekends?) etc over the course of a couple of hours in the evenings.

Anyway, feedback, suggestions and criticism are welcome.

so id say the cup yesterday went rather well. good turn out from the players and spectators, and no real issues, aside from organisational ones :) 

it seems that people are quite keen on regularity, so i will definately be hosting another one next week. 

Here are a couple of things im thinking of doing: The cup will change day each time it runs. ie, this time it was on wednesday, next time it should be thursday but ive spoken to some people, and thats the eu ctf night - so ill skip thursday this time ;P and run it on friday. On the times it falls on the weekends, perhaps doing something a bit bigger or noob cup on sunday or something like that. would appreciate some ideas about what to do on weekend cups.

Alot of people have mentioned that they would like to see noob cups or something like that. Catering to lower skill players is absolutely something id like to do, the mechanics of having a successful noob cup elude me however, atleast as a shortnotice cup. first of all, how do you determine who is allowed to signup and who isnt? how do you reach the total noobs and get them interested in participating? I think if i did try and host a shortnotice noob cup, turn out would be really low. Perhaps Sundays can be noob cup day and signups can open early to get the word out.

In general though, I'd like to provide a competitive environment for the low to lowmid skill players, that are generally very discouraged from participating in cups - i had several people say they wouldnt bother to participate as they dont stand a chance. My idea would be to have open signups, and hopefully get 32 entries, at which point you can then cut the field in half by skill, and run 2 16 player cups. it will never be perfectly divided ofcourse, but i think you'd avoid the situation where all the games till the semi finals are blowouts. I dont know if we have the playerbase for that atm tho. the only way for this to happen though is for people to signup and for the numbers to exist.

For 'casual' and shortnotice cups like this to work regularly, they cant be too 'heavy' - if you are having to reguarly commit 4+ hours to a cup, i think that is likely to depress player turnout eventually. Thus im looking at ways to trim down the length of the tourney a little bit so that it runs in under 3 hours which seems reasonable. My thinking was to do 4 4player group stages with bo1's (?) with the top2 from each group going into a bo3 single elimination bracket with a bo5 final? perhaps I could even run a parallel bracket for the bottom 2 from each group? that way, even a 16 player cup can be skilled segregated and the lower skill players, rather than get outright eliminated, play each other in their own bracket after the group stages?

Mappool is another topic that comes up for discussion pretty often. I'm of the opinion that while stability is important, it has to be balanced with change, otherwise we end up in a Quakeworld like situation, where everyone will still be playing the exact same maps in 10 years time. Thus, my idea is to swap maps out in sequence, on a weekly or bi weekly basis.

eg: week1 was:    

-The Catalyst (thct7)
    -Furnace (dp5)
    -Pocket Infinity (thct2)
    -Static Discharge
    -Simplicity (thcdm13)

week2: 

-The Catalyst (thct7)
    -Furnace (dp5)
    -Pocket Infinity (thct2)
    -Static Discharge
    -Newduelmap1

week3:

-The Catalyst (thct7)
    -Furnace (dp5)
    -Pocket Infinity (thct2)
    -Newduelmap2
    -Newduelmap1

etcetc

The maps that were switched out would then make a return as the cycle completes. ie, after 5 weeks, newduelmap1 gets replaced by Simplicity again and so on (assuming that no better map has been created etc).

The reflex community has a very active mapping scene relative to total scene size, a highly static mappool would not be leveraging the talent at our disposal, and equally, mappers depend on the possibility of their maps being played to continue making new maps. So while some duellists will probably be upset that their favourite map might disappear from the pool for a few weeks etc, the benefit to the reflex community as a whole probably outweighs the negatives.

Anyway, the current plan is to hold another tournament on Friday next week (signups will open on thursday) and will possibly incorporate ideas from this thread and the comments/suggestions that people make in the thread.

I think the idea of group stage tournaments is great (for weekly cups atleast). Bo1:s are fine, but in my opinion the decider match (LB final in each group) should be bo3.

Noob cups are always very problematic since even within the group of people who call themselves "noobs", skilldifferences are massive.

About mappool: In my opinion, we should have a static mappool of 4 maps, and each week have 1 extra map in the pool for testing. We don't have THAT many good duelmaps after all.

10 hours ago, ketku said:

About mappool: In my opinion, we should have a static mappool of 4 maps, and each week have 1 extra map in the pool for testing. We don't have THAT many good duelmaps after all.

problem is that newer maps will be insta vetod i think you need atleast 2 new maps for them to see any real amount of play

Can't wait for more tournaments! All of the above seem to be good ideas. A different day of the week for each tournament will help more people attend due to their various commitments, different maps will show off the map editing feature, etc..

As for newbies, I think it would be best to just hold a tournament and see what happens. If the winner is clearly competitive level or pro (!), it will be immediately obvious and they will be asked to not sign up for noob tournaments. In all likelihood, at this stage, people will probably not be a dick about it.

Also I'll state it here, I'm happy to put a small amount of money into a prize pool, or donate a copy of the game, or anything really. Prizes really help. I backed Planetary Annihilation on Kickstarter and got many hours of enjoyment out of that game, and an esports organisation was created for that game called Exodus Esports - I'll probably get in touch with them and ask for some advice because they have a lot of experience setting up tournaments. They were extremely professional, I have to say. The casted events were great, well organised. Perhaps we could partner up and use their existing infrastructure.

Let's keep the ideas coming.

Thanks Jaguar, I might well hold a noobie cup and see how it goes like u say. We'll see.

As for the mappool thing, the issue with your idea Ketku is that what happens to the map that got tested? (also, the idea is to use completed maps, that have undergone play testing etc) if 4 maps never change, and 1 always changes, whats the actual point of testing a new map if there isnt anywhere for it to go?

I'm currently leaning towards establishing a total mappool of 10 maps which are finished duel maps. And then rotating 1 map in,1 map out per week. After 5 weeks, the map pool is competely renewed,and 5 weeks later, its back where it started. That way, the maps that are going to be in the cups eventually are well known in advance, and each map spends 5 contiguous weeks in the pool. After a 10 week cycle, the total mappool can be reviewed and new finished duel maps can be added to replace existing maps where needed.

When reflex first came out, it was well recognised that there needed to be new maps or else it would just end up being cpm3a spam all over again, which 1) was boring and 2) was unappealing to newcomers. I think this mentality has served reflex well, and would like to continue with it, while also respecting the desire for a certain level of stability.

9 hours ago, thelawenforcer said:

Thanks Jaguar, I might well hold a noobie cup and see how it goes like u say. We'll see.

As for the mappool thing, the issue with your idea Ketku is that what happens to the map that got tested? (also, the idea is to use completed maps, that have undergone play testing etc) if 4 maps never change, and 1 always changes, whats the actual point of testing a new map if there isnt anywhere for it to go?

I'm currently leaning towards establishing a total mappool of 10 maps which are finished duel maps. And then rotating 1 map in,1 map out per week. After 5 weeks, the map pool is competely renewed,and 5 weeks later, its back where it started. That way, the maps that are going to be in the cups eventually are well known in advance, and each map spends 5 contiguous weeks in the pool. After a 10 week cycle, the total mappool can be reviewed and new finished duel maps can be added to replace existing maps where needed.

When reflex first came out, it was well recognised that there needed to be new maps or else it would just end up being cpm3a spam all over again, which 1) was boring and 2) was unappealing to newcomers. I think this mentality has served reflex well, and would like to continue with it, while also respecting the desire for a certain level of stability.

Sounds good, an 'official' map pool for 1v1 games, rotating through it.. yeah, sounds good. Good new maps will slowly come to the attention of the community naturally, right?

I've messaged the guys at Exodus Esports, hopefully I'll get a response soon. If nothing else I reckon they would have good advice - have you organised many tournaments in the past?