Sign in to follow this  
Infuscomus

Texture / Material questions

Hello. I am a total noob when it comes to mapping and I'm not always very familiar with the vocabulary so excuse me if I'm not clear or ask preposterous questions.

I opened the editor today to take a look at it and to show it to a friend of mine who loves mapping for games in general and is curious about this one.

When I looked at the material available for the different box I created, I've seen different names like "wood", "leather" and so on, but it seems it's just a uniform color texture without any detail. The only ones who change things are "glass" and "ice" for obvious reasons. Now, I know the art direction have changed in the past (0,36 or something) but I wasn't interested back then and I'm not sure I understood what was going on at the time.

Basically, my question is : are these uniform texture the new art style that is going to stay for ever (so we deal with it and use a lot of effects to add some make-up), or will these material be worked in the future to add some more details to add some distinction between them ?

P.S : I can't find how to turn the POV in editor mode, I can only move forward, back and strafes, but what are the key to use "mouse look" in editor mode or do "look up", "look down", "turn left", "turn right" with the keyboard please ? I've read on the forums that there is normally a readme file in the folder of the game but I can't find it...

Thank you.

As far as I remember, the other materials (wood, stone) etc are for when the new sound system comes. At the moment every surface has the same clunk. But I have no Idea if that's still the plan or if this is just legacy code.

bind re mouse2 +editorcameradrag

11 hours ago, Owl said:

As far as I remember, the other materials (wood, stone) etc are for when the new sound system comes. At the moment every surface has the same clunk. But I have no Idea if that's still the plan or if this is just legacy code.

bind re mouse2 +editorcameradrag

I didn't think about this, that sounds like a plausible explanation, thank you.

And thank you for this command line. May I ask what the "re" is for in the "bind re" ? I see in my command file that some things that seems to be for editor are more "bind me", so ?

EDIT : I found it. The "bind me mouse2 +editorcameradrag"  was in the game_default.cfg but curiously not in the game.cfg file. Now I copied it and it works. The only mystery to me now is why there is also a "bind re mouse2 +editorcameradrag" a bit further down which I didn't copy but it still works.

woops, sorry, yeah its Me and not Re. And yeah, I'm pretty sure they were for sounds ( around .34? I remember some talk about it when dp4 was textured and shit).