Sign in to follow this  
landbased

sv_inheritance

I think it would be cool to have a server-side value determining whether projectiles inherit your velocity.

Obviously it would defualt at 0 (so they inherit your velocity * 0) for classic gameplay, but I think it could be interesting to try out other values for fun, and possibly even make some rulesets/gamemodes around it.

I don't think you could make a defrag map big enough to accommodate for inherited rocket jumping lol. :)  I like the idea for regular games though.  Players who can strafe and move faster would get an advantage of faster rockets.  Not so sure that's in the best interest of a game trying to acquire new players and keeping a level playing field.  Calls into question some game balance issues.

I don't think you could make a defrag map big enough to accommodate for inherited rocket jumping lol. :)  I like the idea for regular games though.  Players who can strafe and move faster would get an advantage of faster rockets.  Not so sure that's in the best interest of a game trying to acquire new players and keeping a level playing field.  Calls into question some game balance issues.

If by inheriting your speed means that if you go faster than the rocket the rocket would get that speed, that's pretty much impossible in a normal duel map. Reflex uses CPMA rocket speed value AFAIK which is 1000 ups.

Oh true yes.  I was thinking the rocket is inherited all the time but that would make for some ridiculous slow rockets sometimes.  Could be a funny mod though... rockets hanging in the air doing 1 ups lol.

Yeah now if only we could get a new good tribes game. Reflex shouldn't be it. Inheritance doesn't really fit in tight and compact arena shooter maps. We would need to create huge terrain based maps and add faster acceleration for inheritance to make any sense. Other issues include Splitting community as mentioned above, implementation, testing and in general it would confuse players having to switch between both systems if they are looking for some kind of consistency in aiming. Very unlikely going to happen :P

Oh true yes.  I was thinking the rocket is inherited all the time but that would make for some ridiculous slow rockets sometimes.  Could be a funny mod though... rockets hanging in the air doing 1 ups lol.

You could also do 'base speed + 1000'.

I'd say that inheritance has a time and place and neither of which coincides with reflex unfortunately (Can someone make a game that does tribes justice btw? The current one is terrible)

It could always be implemented as a funny mod.  When QL first started they would have a different featured mod of the week.  Can't remember what they called those type of events but they were something different and fun.  I say throw this in the bag of tricks for funny mods of the week kind of thing.   I really don't think it would be received well enough to become a default feature since it makes basic weapon characteristics inherently unfair to those who can't move fast.  Not a good recipe for getting new players to fall in love with the game.