Grybzt

"Humble" list of suggestions

Hi,

I've been playing Relfex almost from EA release, more than 700 hours poured in and loving game so much, but some features are being missed daily, that are not major, but means a lot.

I understand that some of these features on the list are already possible with widgets, but I think these should be shipped with game.

Also, I know game is not even half way there (number wise) so a lot of this would be added anyway, but anyway <3 :)

My "humble" list of suggestions:

Console:

• Select and copy text from console
  • Text wrapping, so text wouldn't go offscreen
  • Time stamps in console
  • A lot of messages lacking in console (ex. people joinin/quitin, match start/end)
  • Basic colour coding for (errors, messages, game messages)
  • Default command's value when double tab'ed

Widgets:

• Built in zoom
  • Kill feed's different message when frag involves player
  • Chatlog with actual chat logs

Server browser:

• Filter by servers with password
  • Favorite servers
  • Filter by favorite servers
  • Filter by max ping
  • Search bar by server name
  • Hovering on server would show Alpha/Zeta players, spectators, timeleft/warmup
  • Save selected options (not to restart every launch)

Servers:

• Fix crashes when server has more than 10 players (I know it's probably tricky to fix)
  • callvote teamsize
  • sv_maxteamsize (Dedicated spots for spectators)

Window:

• Alt tab'ing not making game go windowed
  • Not fucking up open windows when alt tab in downscaled resolution

Game modes:

• Change AFFA scoring system to damage based system.
  • 2 seconds suicide protection in race mode

Scoreboard:

• Seperate stats after every round in arena gamemodes, summed stats after match
  • Map's creators name next to map name
  • Personal stats visible to player until next match/disconnect

Spectator:

• Game physics option (That you could run around as spectator with game physics (maybe a pretty major feature tho :)))
  • Option to follow last killer
  • Option to automatically spectate player's pov when possible
  • Remove option to callvote and vote
  • Default switching following player to Mouse1 and Mouse2

Misc:

• "Press any key to continue" on start window

List could go for ever of course, so I will stop here :D 

Some of these added with every major update would make me very happy :)

14 minutes ago, Grybzt said:

Console:

• Select and copy text from console
  • Text wrapping, so text wouldn't go offscreen
  • Time stamps in console
  • A lot of messages lacking in console (ex. people joinin/quitin, match start/end)
  • Basic colour coding for (errors, messages, game messages)
  • Default command's value when double tab'ed

Something convenient for console to have as well:

8 hours ago, Grybzt said:
  • Not fucking up open windows when alt tab in downscaled resolution
  • Game physics option (maybe a pretty major feature tho :)

These all strike me as good suggestions, however the two quoted above:

Not noticed the first one, but I alt+enter all the time to switch between windows/monitors. It would be nice if, when you go full screen -> windowed, the window was maximised. Or if you had the option to be either maximised or whatever. I need to bind a key to m_enabled I think, but it'd still be nice.

As for the second, I'm not sure what you mean, could you elaborate please?

31 minutes ago, Jaguar said:

"Not fucking up open windows when alt tab in downscaled resolution" - not noticed that, but I alt+enter all the time to switch between windows/monitors. It would be nice if, when you go full screen -> windowed, the window was maximised. Or if you had the option to be either maximised or whatever. I need to bind a key to m_enabled I think, but it'd still be nice.

I play 800x600 resolution, when I alt tab, all my open windows become windowed and 800x600 resolution, it's incredibly irritating. So when I got back to game I always have to hide any windows in task bar.

31 minutes ago, Jaguar said:

"Game physics option" - I'm not sure what you mean, could you elaborate please?

That you could run around as spectator with game physics. Like train movement while spectating. Or run around replicating what players are doing.

EDIT: Could you also edit your post and delete everything in quotes ? Post takes a lot of space for no reason :)

Agreed, to your list I would also add a brightness/gamma option, the ability to change crosshair color without a widget, timer up/down (I think there is reason for it being down only, but maybe make it go up instead?) and that's all I can think of at this moment. I may add later.

@Grybzt - edited, thanks for pointing that out. It was a bit of a wall of text. The 800x600 window thing sounds super annoying. Perhaps take a quick video/desktop capture of it, to submit in the bugs subforum? Or before and after screenshots. I really don't see the point of being able to move with game physics on as a spectator, I have to say - practice training on another server/map? Maybe I'm missing something!

Just now, Duck said:

But then I wouldn't be in the queue to duel.

Ohhhh, I get it now. Yes, that would be nice. Presumably you'd want to turn the other player models off though, or it'd be kinda distracting! I thought I was missing something! I don't duel much :P

A lot of these things are possible with widgets. Several of them I've already done. They'd be useful to have built-in, but in the meantime you can still use them. All of these are possible:

Text wrapping, so text wouldn't go offscreen

Doesn't the console text already wrap? I know it crashes beyond 2047 characters (unless this was fixed?). I have a Lua function that fixes that.

A lot of messages lacking in console (ex. people joinin/quitin, match start/end)

A widget could easily intercept these messages and log them to the console. Maybe I'll implement something like that, it should be pretty easy. I'm working on another project atm though.

Kill feed's different message when frag involves player

This is easy. I have something very similar that mimics Quake Live's kill messages.

Chatlog with actual chat logs

I have a widget that does this. It only saves the last seven messages (the size of the default chat box), but it could easily be extended arbitrarily. Also note that the console saves chat messages as well.

Server Browser

Tamiel just implemented a widget that implements some of these features (filter by password, ping, and gamemode). You should check it out.

Personal stats visible to player until next match/disconnect

I'm currently working on a widget that will save and display all the match stats forever/for a long time. It's probably going to take some time though.

timer up/down

I have a widget for this.

You could try making your own console with Lua, sounds like a cool project.

I don't think so, there's no way to read console messages and have them display in your custom console. You can replace consolePrint() with your own function, but that won't do anything about C++ code that writes to the console.

@Kered13

21 hours ago, Grybzt said:

I understand that some of these features on the list are already possible with widgets, but I think these should be shipped with game.

I agree, it would be nice if these could all be included in the game as it ships. There might be legal issues, but perhaps a possibility is if the devs ask permission from anybody who has already made a widget to do some of the above, if they can include their widget in the game?