TornadoStorm

Do prefabs affect performance?

I dont think so, pherhaps the only thing i could think of that would change is the map loading/download time witch can get worse and worse when you have many prefabs, that you dont use but you didnt delete, that still are in the .map file and have to be loaded/downloaded for, needless to say, no reason.

12 minutes ago, Ammazzabanane said:

I dont think so, pherhaps the only thing i could think of that would change is the map loading/download time witch can get worse and worse when you have many prefabs, that you dont use but you didnt delete, that still are in the .map file and have to be loaded/downloaded for, needless to say, no reason.

Ah yes, this would be a little more reasonable. Thanks!

The Aerowalk port that copied CPM22's brush scheme seems to in general run better than maps with detail and care equivalent to Catalyst and Fusion. I have quite a weak machine, so the difference in performance is pretty obvious when it occurs. 

I would argue what matters is the number of vertexes/faces/edges you have in total on your map and more specifically at once in your screen. When there's more stuff on screen it requires more power from your rig to read and render it. When it comes to the number of vertexes/etc, Reflex meshes typically outnumber any kind of shape that an averagely patient mapper can build with brushes. I think it's realistic to assume that having an equivalent amount of prefabs with simpler detail would naturally perform better. Let's say you for example draw floor tiles with single brushes instead of using meshes with multiple polygons shoved in each of them. I'm pretty sure that'd be a performance friendly solution. 

1 hour ago, Smilecythe said:

The Aerowalk port that copied CPM22's brush scheme seems to in general run better than maps with detail and care equivalent to Catalyst and Fusion. I have quite a weak machine, so the difference in performance is pretty obvious when it occurs. 

I would argue what matters is the number of vertexes/faces/edges you have in total on your map and more specifically at once in your screen. When there's more stuff on screen it requires more power from your rig to read and render it. When it comes to the number of vertexes/etc, Reflex meshes typically outnumber any kind of shape that an averagely patient mapper can build with brushes. I think it's realistic to assume that having an equivalent amount of prefabs with simpler detail would naturally perform better. Let's say you for example draw floor tiles with single brushes instead of using meshes with multiple polygons shoved in each of them. I'm pretty sure that'd be a performance friendly solution. 

What I mean is, if you have the same amount of meshes with the same amount of polygons all displayed on one screen, would it run better or worse, or the exact same, if it were tied into a single type of prefab duplicated many times?

1 hour ago, TornadoStorm said:

What I mean is, if you have the same amount of meshes with the same amount of polygons all displayed on one screen, would it run better or worse, or the exact same, if it were tied into a single type of prefab duplicated many times?

Open up a .map file, you'll find stuff like this http://pastebin.com/LWaXZysF, it's just a bunch of meshes/brushes, etc. collected under one name and the game then reads the prefab when it's called or just copy pastes the prefab to where it's called internally. The performance is the same.

8 hours ago, seekax said:

Open up a .map file, you'll find stuff like this http://pastebin.com/LWaXZysF, it's just a bunch of meshes/brushes, etc. collected under one name and the game then reads the prefab when it's called or just copy pastes the prefab to where it's called internally. The performance is the same.

Ah alright. Thanks!