Sign in to follow this  
SquishyPon3

Instagib game mode, and more options.

Will the game be getting an instagib game mode, and more importantly- will there be the ability to disable self inflicted damage? Oh and lastly, is there any chance of some sort of setting to turn on the dodge/jump/whatever ability (Look at Warsow for reference) I mean I understand not as default, but possibly as an option?

I ask this because personally I have the most fun in arena shooters when on instagib and having the ability to gain huge speeds and jump all across the map, here however the second you land you kinda' end up losing quite a bit of momentum. No bunny hopping forever. :P

Oh actually that reminds me, will it be possible to just hold down space bar in the future? 

Instagib yes, disable self inflicted damage yes, walljumps no, autohop never going to happen.

Keeping momentum is  easy in reflex, just hold spacebar right before landing, you don't have to press spacebar the exact tick you hit the floor.

no

You seem very passionate about this. ;)

Just as some sort of silly game mode, what's the harm? (Of course as a bit of side stuff, in no way should such pet features be of high priority.)

Instagib has ruined many afps communities before. I don't want it to happen to this one. Nothing against the concept. Auto-bunnyhop won't be in, i believe.

There is no dash key, Reflex has many more movement options for you to master already, check entik's movement video.

Instagib yes, disable self inflicted damage yes, walljumps no, autohop never going to happen.

Keeping momentum is  easy in reflex, just hold spacebar right before landing, you don't have to press spacebar the exact tick you hit the floor.

Eh as long as I get instagib and no self inflicted damage I'm pretty content.

Are you sure about the keeping of momentum though? It just doesn't seem to work out for me, then again maybe I'm out of practice.

Actually I had no idea of the hold down space and it'll register as a jump, wow, okay... That makes things a whole lot easier. I kept trying to tap it at the exact moment I hit the ground, heh.

Newborn made already clear that there will be instagib, so no need to be passionately denying it deox, even though you don't like it.

Hint for SquishyPon: There is already a thread about instagib. You may use the search (upper right) next time, we need to try to keep the forums clean from doubles.

If instagib does happen then I would like to see railjumping included which is a badly missed feature in QL instagib. 

Also I LOVE that QL added continual jumping by holding down the jump key.  For defrag players who jump thousands of times per day this saves our fingers from getting worn out.  One of the best features of QL vs Q3 is auto jump.  If you want to keep jumping manually click after click after click by all means do so, they're your hands after all.  I like it when my fingers don't cramp up to the point they look like something out of a horror movie.

Quake is one of the most carpel tunnel inducing games I've ever played.  Auto jump is EXTREMELY appreciated in Quake Live.  It also cuts down the learning curve for new players in how to properly strafe jump.  It also increases the overall speed of games by having everyone jump around at good speeds instead of trying to learning how to jump.

Also I LOVE that QL added continual jumping by holding down the jump key.

Prepare your anus. For what it's worth, I prefer it too. I jump with mouse2, and I find it easy to just relax my hand and let my finger hold the button down all the time. You're going to get a shitload of "things should never change from the way I learned them" type replies though. For what it's worth though, this is the kind of thing it's probably pretty easy to add with an AutoHotkey script.

Yeah I use mouse2.  If you can't see the advantage in having continual jumps then you have a small minded view of gameplay designed to suit the needs of veteran players instead of the majority of new players.  The easier you can make the learning curve for new players the more successful the game will be.  That's why Quake Live does it.  Feel free to laugh when you're the only one in your server because new players are tired of getting completely dominated by veteran players.  To me that's common sense but apparently that's something other members here lack.

Yeah I use mouse2.  If you can't see the advantage in having continual jumps then you have a small minded view of gameplay designed to suit the needs of veteran players instead of the majority of new players.  The easier you can make the learning curve for new players the more successful the game will be.  That's why Quake Live does it.  Feel free to laugh when you're the only one in your server because new players are tired of getting completely dominated by veteran players.  To me that's common sense but apparently that's something other members here lack.

If continual jumps give only a small speed boost, the way QL does, and properly timed jumps unlock maximum potential, then no one should have an issue with it.

continual jumps shouldn't give a speed boost, period. It screws with the whole intricate movement system we have already, and provides nothing else. I'm fine with it, otherwise. Bring it on.

Autojumps work in Quake Live because there's nothing there that require precise jump control. Go try make stair jumps in PQL/Turbo mode to get the idea what it would be like in Reflex, it's chaos because you always press the jump key split second too long which screws your timing and control completely with extra jumps. Enabling autojumps just takes so much more out from the mechanics than it adds. 

Autojumps work in Quake Live because there's nothing there that require precise jump control. Go try make stair jumps in PQL/Turbo mode to get the idea what it would be like in Reflex, it's chaos because you always press the jump key split second too long which screws your timing and control completely with extra jumps. Enabling autojumps just takes so much more out from the mechanics than it adds. 

Thanks for the explanation, completely understand then. Besides, I've gotten back into jumping without it!

Good point.  So doesn't that bring up the next point that it should be an option.  AutoJump 1 for example.  An option which in my opinion should be enabled by default for new players. 

I think the difference of opinion here is from the view of 1v1 players and TDM players vs CTF players.  CTF maps are much bigger and require a heck of a lot more jumping and distance to cover.  Not to mention defrag players who might enjoy the feature.  Yes I realize that max distances are limited by auto jumping.  The benefit for new players is great especially if it's an option that can be disabled for veteran players.

Good point.  So doesn't that bring up the next point that it should be an option.  AutoJump 1 for example.  An option which in my opinion should be enabled by default for new players. 

I think the difference of opinion here is from the view of 1v1 players and TDM players vs CTF players.  CTF maps are much bigger and require a heck of a lot more jumping and distance to cover.  Not to mention defrag players who might enjoy the feature.  Yes I realize that max distances are limited by auto jumping.  The benefit for new players is great especially if it's an option that can be disabled for veteran players.

It's mainly because I've been playing too much Warsow Instagib. :P

I think the difference of opinion here is from the view of 1v1 players and TDM players vs CTF players.  CTF maps are much bigger and require a heck of a lot more jumping and distance to cover.  Not to mention defrag players who might enjoy the feature. 

People could tap jump key repeatedly back in the 90's and so can the people of today. 

Good point.  So doesn't that bring up the next point that it should be an option.  AutoJump 1 for example.  An option which in my opinion should be enabled by default for new players. The benefit for new players is great especially if it's an option that can be disabled for veteran players.

There's a perfectly sound and universally agreed reason to why there isn't an option for "Auto Aim". I'm sure you can think of few. Wrap your head around that for a while and then replace the word Aim with Movement. Yes, movement is that huge part of this game's mechanics and appeal. Handling training wheels that teach you nothing is not the way to go.

I don't know why autojump even exists. Jump queuing makes jumping easy as hell anyway

This x100.

Holding jump button down wouldn't even make for good movement, even for newbs. You have to make instant stops and circle jumps all the time. Just holding jump would make you move like an retard basically.