Aletheia

[.45.2] crouching while in air/jumping - inconstancy

Hey,

first of all I was asking some guys (or girls) if I was right (just to be sure of my observation) and they agreed but deemed it so unimportant that they felt the need to tell me: "go wank on reddit" so maybe it is really not important but it seems to me...

okay the point:

if I jump and crouch I would expect that my cross-hair stays consistent and the model "crouches" the legs up but that is not the case the model goes down with the point of view or upper body model part.

so if I jump and crouch in the middle of the jump the cross-hair goes: jump=up, crouch=down, finishing jump movement=up again. up down up.

if I crouch at the highest point of the jump, the time of the jump is the same (which wouldn't be the case if the legs would get pulled up) but the point of view/crosshair goes down so it seems as one would fall faster what is of course not the case just the downwards movement of the upper body model part and so the pov makes it an "optical illusion" as if one would fall faster.

the problem seems that the animation of the model when crouching walking/standing is the same when crouching in mid-air, while actually it should be a different one.

= pulling the legs up and let the cross-hair/point of view consistent with the jump height.

that would also make possible to use crouching as a method to reach jumps one wouldn't make slightly without being couched.

I know it's not a big bug but it's somehow wrong and fixing it would extend the jump mechanics a little bit, for me it looks "buggy" if my cross-hair goes up-down-up while crouch-jumping...

hope it wasn't a waste of time and I should have gone "wank on reddit"...

greetings

A.

It's not a bug, it's intended. It's a valid crouch mechanic which you will find in various games, for example CoD and Quake 3. Some games pull the legs up, some pull the body down. The advantage of pulling the body down is that you can make jumps where you'd otherwise hit your head.

1 hour ago, meowgli said:

would make movement a little broken if it pulled legs up.

It wouldn't have to be broken, if it pulled the legs up you could do longer single jumps and mid air instead of dodging obstacles with your head you could dodge obstacles with your feet. As long as you can't chain jumps while crouched everything should be fine.

Personally i'd prefer to keep it the way it is right now though, having to dodge doorways happens quite frequently, doesn't happen all that often that you hit an obstacle with your feet.

21 hours ago, seekax said:

It's not a bug, it's intended. It's a valid crouch mechanic which you will find in various games, for example CoD and Quake 3. Some games pull the legs up, some pull the body down. The advantage of pulling the body down is that you can make jumps where you'd otherwise hit your head.

understand, didn't think about the "making a jump where you would hit your head"... and I am new to FPS... so I never played any other shooters on PC

thx good point you made...

ps. for me it was a inconstancy or felt buggy not a real bug... that was clear to me...

12 hours ago, seekax said:

It wouldn't have to be broken, if it pulled the legs up you could do longer single jumps and mid air instead of dodging obstacles with your head you could dodge obstacles with your feet. As long as you can't chain jumps while crouched everything should be fine.

Personally i'd prefer to keep it the way it is right now though, having to dodge doorways happens quite frequently, doesn't happen all that often that you hit an obstacle with your feet.

how often do you crouch to not hit an obstacle?

in my case I hit way more often an obstacle with the feet but I guess that is cause my movement is bad...

15 hours ago, meowgli said:

would make movement a little broken if it pulled legs up.

why would it be broken in your opinion? I would agree with seekax that it wouldn't have to be broken...

thx for your hitmarker widget btw :)

2 minutes ago, Aletheia said:

how often do you crouch to not hit an obstacle?

in my case I hit way more often an obstacle with the feet but I guess that is cause my movement is bad...

That's the best example i have. Basically whenever you are slightly too high to pass through a doorway, which happens frequently. In reflex this jump usually works out without crouching, but in CPMA i crouched it most of the time.

1 hour ago, seekax said:

That's the best example i have. Basically whenever you are slightly too high to pass through a doorway, which happens frequently. In reflex this jump usually works out without crouching, but in CPMA i crouched it most of the time.

interesting... I started with Reflex so I can't really talk about CPM, nice movement btw :)

did you change your jump sound :D ? or is this from this competitive sound pack? :)

46 minutes ago, Aletheia said:

interesting... I started with Reflex so I can't really talk about CPM, nice movement btw :)

did you change your jump sound :D ? or is this from this competitive sound pack? :)

thats the q3 "Bones" jump/pain sounds

14 hours ago, seekax said:

you were right I hit my head today more often then my legs... anyway it seems strange to me but yeah AFPS's are fantasy shooters. Now I have to incorporate it in my gameplay ;)

thx for your contribution...!